Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla Service came by today and fixed the spoiler. Looks MUCH better now, it is now flush with the body. There is a small gap (~1 mm but I think that's just the adhesive) but you can barely tell. Took exactly 23 minutes to fix.

Before, if I pressed on the right side the spoiler would move a little bit downwards. Now if I push down it is rock solid and will not budge.

79oA4A3.jpg

oK1E1ke.jpg
Looks great.[/QUOTE]

So Tesla Service came by today and fixed the spoiler. Looks MUCH better now, it is now flush with the body. There is a small gap (~1 mm but I think that's just the adhesive) but you can barely tell. Took exactly 23 minutes to fix.

Before, if I pressed on the right side the spoiler would move a little bit downwards. Now if I push down it is rock solid and will not budge.

79oA4A3.jpg

oK1E1ke.jpg

1st shot is absolutely abhorrent!
2nd shot doesn’t show fit as moisture
and angle differ from 1st shot.

both shots are not enhancements to
the look of the rear deck...

wonder why the knowledge & fit of S
didn’t get incorporated into the 3?

hard to see at this angle,

is the spoiler raised above the
slope of trunk deck?

do outside edges of spoiler meet
flush to trunk deck?

The right side meets flush for a large portion then starts separating at the top. The left is more lifted and loose. I'd say in the middle the top is lifted a couple of mm from the trunk top

Detailer wants to put silicone sealant in the gap. Not sure if that's a good idea or if I should just bring it back to tesla

There's only so much my detailer can do to try and make it fit right. The contact surface is polished and it's covered so that's what matters on their end.

I'm going to probably contact Tesla to try and fix the install or replace the part. I not digging how it looks with silicone sealant in the gap at all. Really bad for an OEM part that was supposed to come preinstalled

Reactions: Jaywlker
I was leaning towards leaving the spoiler off. This thread has solidified that opinion. Even if they can fix the install issue, to my eye the naked 3 rear is quite nice and sporty and the car simply looks better without the spoiler. I think Tesla just felt they needed to add something to the P but in reality they did such an awesome job with the base 3 there is no need to add anything. The 3 is has a fabulous minimalist design in my opinion and the no spoiler look works quite well with the design. I couldn't help adding my own custom badge, however, with 3 bars in chrome and P in red.
IMG_5735 (1).jpg

Is there any legal action that can be taken at this point?

Sure. You can find a lawyer who wants to undertake a class action lawsuit or you can hire your own lawyer and file suit yourself.

Just advising on options.

Not making any judgment calls of how pathetic or petty such an endeavor might be.

An out of the box solution might be just waiting until it’s good and ready? Lack of spoiler since August 1st 2018 hasn’t materially affected me so I am curious on what the tort grounds could be.

Sure. You can find a lawyer who wants to undertake a class action lawsuit or you can hire your own lawyer and file suit yourself.

Just advising on options.

Not making any judgment calls of how pathetic or petty such an endeavor might be.

An out of the box solution might be just waiting until it’s good and ready? Lack of spoiler since August 1st 2018 hasn’t materially affected me so I am curious on what the tort grounds could be.
it's one thing to be waiting when there is no supply, but when you order a new car today or see all the pics of the cars with spoilers on them, it's a bit annoying when you've been waiting for close to half a year for yours.

also, it's the concept of buying something and not having it delivered. when you ask they just give you bullshit vauge answers. nothing is consistent. you're ok with a company getting away with this kind of stuff?

it's one thing to be waiting when there is no supply, but when you order a new car today or see all the pics of the cars with spoilers on them, it's a bit annoying when you've been waiting for close to half a year for yours.

also, it's the concept of buying something and not having it delivered. when you ask they just give you bullshit vauge answers. nothing is consistent. you're ok with a company getting away with this kind of stuff?
From my experience as a trial lawyer: no jury is going to give you anything because you accepted the car without the spoiler. A judge could easily find the plaintiff responsible for defendant Tesla’s attorneys’ fees. Not an advisable course of action.

Not ok in a simple world. Tolerable in a complex world.

Is it easier to install something while in production or is it easier to install something post fact?

Tesla for whatever reason is having a hard time securing these in quantity and quality.

Many spoiler and badge installs did not go well when Tesla tried to set up an event around them.

I keep a top 10 list in ways some ways customers may feel sleighted.

Spoiler install delay would be number 99. I don’t even know what 11-98 would be but it’s more substantial than this.

Tesla MUST survive so we can get support. I trust they are managing it the best they can.

From my experience as a trial lawyer: no jury is going to give you anything because you accepted the car without the spoiler. A judge could easily find the plaintiff responsible for defendant Tesla’s attorneys’ fees. Not an advisable course of action.

I have an unfulfilled Delivery Do List, which is an unfulfilled contract. I could easily argue the expectation created when I agreed to that contract was 4-6 weeks, which is what I was told. At this stage Tesla has not fulfilled the contract and is in breach. Could easily win a small claims settlement on this if you wanted to put the effort in. I gave it some thought toward the end of 2018 to get a settlement and just buy an aftermarket spoiler as RPM for example had no issue getting spoilers in to the market. In the end decided not to as the aggravation level would have been higher than it was worth.

I was leaning towards leaving the spoiler off. This thread has solidified that opinion. Even if they can fix the install issue, to my eye the naked 3 rear is quite nice and sporty and the car simply looks better without the spoiler. I think Tesla just felt they needed to add something to the P but in reality they did such an awesome job with the base 3 there is no need to add anything. The 3 is has a fabulous minimalist design in my opinion and the no spoiler look works quite well with the design. I couldn't help adding my own custom badge, however, with 3 bars in chrome and P in red. View attachment 377946

I was leaning towards leaving the spoiler off. This thread has solidified that opinion. Even if they can fix the install issue, to my eye the naked 3 rear is quite nice and sporty and the car simply looks better without the spoiler. I think Tesla just felt they needed to add something to the P but in reality they did such an awesome job with the base 3 there is no need to add anything. The 3 is has a fabulous minimalist design in my opinion and the no spoiler look works quite well with the design. I couldn't help adding my own custom badge, however, with 3 bars in chrome and P in red. View attachment 377946
Curious as to where you got the custom badge? Looks great