Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The situation is evolving. They probably cancelled the event due to a 50%+ defect rate. I don’t think the employees are intentionally misrepresenting things. They are learning about things in real time. See my post on the previous page. A memo went out saying they’re gonna work on the spoiler defect issue.

not my 1st rodeo,
shall I recant all the excuses
I've been given in the last 7 months?
I know when I'm being mislead,
and it's been on going since delivery!

without starting a whole debate,
if your memo went to all service centers,
my rep would have referenced it last week?
instead, when pushed, she admitted she hadn't
seen a spoiler in her service center.

I'm glad you don't think the employees are misleading,
perhaps they can't get answers either, of course one
would expect that would be mentioned, not the continued
assurances there's a pony in the pile of *sugar*

how do you explain away a cluster of these proportions?
see if it's not said out loud, then did it ever really happen?

Memo went out yesterday. ;)

I spoke with her yesterday afternoon
and twice today, so why do you think
she didn't mention it?

same thing happened today as has happened
monthly since AUG, once a customer gains
accountability with one employee, and excuses
run out, then your passed along to another
employee who repeats similar excuses, till
their cred runs out.

you asked me to read your post on the last page,
I ask you to read the 28 pages of this thread,
not to mention other similar threads, and please
explain how a company could get employees
to mislead customers?

I spoke with her yesterday afternoon
and twice today, so why do you think
she didn't mention it?

same thing happened today as has happened
monthly since AUG, once a customer gains
accountability with one employee, and excuses
run out, then your passed along to another
employee who repeats similar excuses, till
their cred runs out.

you asked me to read your post on the last page,
I ask you to read the 28 pages of this thread,
not to mention other similar threads, and please
explain how a company could get employees
to mislead customers?
The service advisor I chatted with today also didn't mention anything about the memo and asked me to go in today or tomorrow. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

• Funny
Reactions: wokuku
No, Torrance.

I can only hope that the evidence here,
poorly installed and passable installs,
isn't some experiment to just get out of
the woods!

I too had an install date @ san diego service
center, and only upon calling to ask 'do you
have eyes on a spoiler?' and 'put my VIN# on it!'
did I determine that in fact san diego hadn't seen
a spoiler in the wild!

I hate being jerk'd, thinking it's all passable!

I'd give a call before driving to center,
some would say that's just me!

please report results! I'm hoping your getting
straight juju!

Got mine installed today at the service center. Took less than an hour. I was told it would take 3-4 hours for the glue to dry due to the rain but the rain stopped and they asked me to pick it up after an hour. The SA said they used heat gun or whatever to make it stick. Didn’t even get to launch the P90D loaner yet. Pics below.

4C0E62AC-44B4-4AAF-8E9B-7852020FC61C.jpeg
04F68CF8-CF4B-4AAF-8BB8-2DB07CBF6238.jpeg
AA4AA56A-33E0-407F-B8DE-356933005517.jpeg
497ED15F-E0CA-4AFF-8D70-C5C8BEE1264D.jpeg

Not the best install but I am ok with it for now. Seems sturdy enough.

Last edited:
Got mine installed today at the service center. Took less than an hour. I was told it would take 3-4 hours for the glue to dry due to the rain but the rain stopped and they asked me to pick it up after an hour. The SA said they used heat gun or whatever to make it stick. Didn’t even get to launch the P90D loaner yet. Pics below.

View attachment 383697 View attachment 383698 View attachment 383699 View attachment 383700

Not the best install but I am ok with it for now. Seems sturdy enough.
looks like nice fitment to me!

As scheduled, mobile service ranger came to my house and installed the spoiler today (badge not installed). Ranger brought two spoilers because he mentioned the known issues with fitment so Tesla is obviously aware. He tested both spoilers to find the best fit.

Install went pretty smooth. Fitment along the top and bottom of the trunk is flush/no gaps, but the top edge at both corners of the spoiler leaves a little something to be desired as they are lifting just slightly (but nowhere near the degree others have posted here).

Had the ranger note on my invoice that the corner edges were not completely flush. If they worsen I will request a replacement but otherwise I’m happy with the install and fit, and glad I was finally able to get it done. I mean it’s been 7 months since delivery o_O

A9A6EE87-E0DE-419E-A5AD-7F9D90C8F44A.jpeg
72FED07D-E59A-482A-98C0-1CD7265E17FA.jpeg
228C7C0D-CE0A-461C-8FD5-42536FB3408C.jpeg
C64B7B6F-86E5-4674-A12C-95771DC0C2CA.jpeg
9DE6D6BB-F9B7-4952-A8A4-533AB2D236E8.jpeg
F1BF3290-457B-49B0-8CFB-F7118F9EEB89.jpeg
A81AF2FF-A879-49FB-8E4F-A1DA40CC8E59.jpeg
7D78216D-8527-4FAF-A734-9DF3F8383FAC.jpeg

As scheduled, mobile service ranger came to my house and installed the spoiler today (badge not installed). Ranger brought two spoilers because he mentioned the known issues with fitment so Tesla is obviously aware. He tested both spoilers to find the best fit.

Install went pretty smooth. Fitment along the top and bottom of the trunk is flush/no gaps, but the top edge at both corners of the spoiler leaves a little something to be desired as they are lifting just slightly (but nowhere near the degree others have posted here).

Had the ranger note on my invoice that the corner edges were not completely flush. If they worsen I will request a replacement but otherwise I’m happy with the install and fit, and glad I was finally able to get it done. I mean it’s been 7 months since delivery o_O

View attachment 383768 View attachment 383769 View attachment 383771 View attachment 383772 View attachment 383773 View attachment 383774 View attachment 383776 View attachment 383777
Actually looks pretty good to me?

My P3D is wrapped with Xpel wrap. Will the 3M adhesive stick to that or will I need to unwrap the rear and then have it rewrapped post spoiler installation? Thanks

I have Xpel wrap and the spoiler attached just fine (except for the side that lifted off, but that wasn't related to the Xpel). But not sure for people with Xpel and ceramic or opticoat.

View attachment 383768 View attachment 383769 View attachment 383771 View attachment 383772 View attachment 383773 View attachment 383774 View attachment 383776 View attachment 383777
Looks like great fitment! This is the most helpful post on the spoiler install I've seen. I have my appt on Monday, This will be super-helpful.

I contacted my Portland service center about my spoiler. I was told they were prioritizing early performance cars first and an app update would tell me when one was available to me.

Not sure I fully believe that the app is actually tracking this. Anyone else had this explanation?

I contacted my Portland service center about my spoiler. I was told they were prioritizing early performance cars first and an app update would tell me when one was available to me.

Not sure I fully believe that the app is actually tracking this. Anyone else had this explanation?
I did not have any notification. I just scheduled an appointment via the app which was 2 weeks out. At worst I thought I could just get the badge installed. The SC called me and asked me to just drop in to get the spoiler and badge installed. It was done in an hour.

Looks like great fitment! This is the most helpful post on the spoiler install I've seen. I have my appt on Monday, This will be super-helpful.

What made a big difference is experience. This ranger has installed multiple spoilers and talking with him, he’s “a car guy” in general (he has an overland built Tacoma) and cares about the details. He told me some of his installs he didn’t like how they turned out so he rescheduled to make sure fitment was the best possible. This is why he brings multiple spoilers to test fit.

He said the issue with the current batch of spoilers is the double sided tape. It’s strong, but the tape does not extend all the way to the outer edges of the spoiler, specifically at the ends/corners which is why many have had issues with lifting and detaching. For my spoiler he used the one which had the most tape coverage and he even used his own double sided tape to add more where needed. I was lucky to have this ranger.

So far so good, still the same fitment overnight with my spoiler!

Reactions: is2scooby
What made a big difference is experience. This ranger has installed multiple spoilers and talking with him, he’s “a car guy” in general (he has an overland built Tacoma) and cares about the details. He told me some of his installs he didn’t like how they turned out so he rescheduled to make sure fitment was the best possible. This is why he brings multiple spoilers to test fit.

He said the issue with the current batch of spoilers is the double sided tape. It’s strong, but the tape does not extend all the way to the outer edges of the spoiler, specifically at the ends/corners which is why many have had issues with lifting and detaching. For my spoiler he used the one which had the most tape coverage and he even used his own double sided tape to add more where needed. I was lucky to have this ranger.

So far so good, still the same fitment overnight with my spoiler!

In my car after install I found a roll of extra double sided tape and this one hand tool. Potentially installer supplemented double sided tape pre installed on the spoiler.