Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a reply from service...

1972141D-FACB-4A54-AD06-F982A1291F76.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Just got a reply from service...

View attachment 383198

Interesting. kinda makes me somewhat glad we haven’t really seen them here on the east coast yet. Combined with the colder temps...would make ensuring the double sided tape adheres well....more difficult. Seeing these fitment issues....I’m okay waiting for the kinks to be ironed out and warmer temps. I’ll need to decide if I want Tesla to install it or just do it myself. At this point, I’m inclined to do it myself.

Interesting. kinda makes me somewhat glad we haven’t really seen them here on the east coast yet. Combined with the colder temps...would make ensuring the double sided tape adheres well....more difficult. Seeing these fitment issues....I’m okay waiting for the kinks to be ironed out and warmer temps. I’ll need to decide if I want Tesla to install it or just do it myself. At this point, I’m inclined to do it myself.
Agreed. Still though, you'd think they've identified and fixed all of the issues in the 6+ months they had.

Unrelated: Noticed your user name. I too have had two N54TT cars... with 3 HPFP replacements and 2 rounds of injector replacements :p

Agreed. Still though, you'd think they've identified and fixed all of the issues in the 6+ months they had.

Unrelated: Noticed your user name. I too have had two N54TT cars... with 3 HPFP replacements and 2 rounds of injector replacements :p

It def should have been fixed by now....have had my car for 5 months now.

Also unrelated: lol Nice!!. I had an 08 rwd, sport package, 6spd, tuned, oem euro mtech kit, cf studie front lip....loved that car. I only had 1 HPFP changed...under the recall and I believe injectors under recall? But I went through a lpfp. Was stranded once...after 9yrs....due to failed water pump.

It def should have been fixed by now....have had my car for 5 months now.

Also unrelated: lol Nice!!. I had an 08 rwd, sport package, 6spd, tuned, oem euro mtech kit, cf studie front lip....loved that car. I only had 1 HPFP changed...under the recall and I believe injectors under recall? But I went through a lpfp. Was stranded once...after 9yrs....due to failed water pump.
Lol luckily I never got stranded... though I had to limp my way to the dealer once when my injectors were dying. Glad to not have to worry about all of that stuff anymore with the Model 3 :)

@Daniel F

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware that using this tape was standard for the industry. However what makes me nervous is that I read somewhere that you’re never supposed to touch the spoiler when closing the trunk. I’ve had decorative spoilers before on cars that I have owned and driven, but I’ve always been able to use them as sort of a handle to open and close the trunk.

If we can’t use them to close the trunk, how secure will these be?

With all the vandalism being reported to both Tesla vehicles and super chargers, I’m afraid some kids will walk by and rip this thing off, both literally and figuratively. If windows are being smashed like they’ve been reported on the press and in these and other Tesla forums, what will stop thieves from taking these and flipping them on EBay? Considering the cost this part will be, and how many Tesla’s are being sold without them, there will more than likely be a demand for these. This is what makes me so nervous.

@Daniel F

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware that using this tape was standard for the industry. However what makes me nervous is that I read somewhere that you’re never supposed to touch the spoiler when closing the trunk. I’ve had decorative spoilers before on cars that I have owned and driven, but I’ve always been able to use them as sort of a handle to open and close the trunk.

With all the vandalism being reported to both Tesla vehicles and super chargers, I’m afraid some kids will walk by and rip this thing off, both literally and figuratively. If windows are being smashed like they’ve been reported on the press and in these and other Tesla forums, what will stop thieves from taking these and flipping them on EBay? Considering the cost this part will be, and how many Tesla’s are being sold without them, there will more than likely be a demand for these. This is what makes me so nervous.
I always use one of the two handles on the underside to pull it down most of the way, then push down the top of the lid gently to close.

@Daniel F

I wouldn't use mine as a handle but if properly installed it shouldn't be an issue as the tape is really strong. Vandalism or theft on the other hand is a very real possibility. Someone could steal the spoiler by ripping it off (likely damaging/chipping paint in the process) and then sell it - the fact the tape is ruined wouldn't really matter as they can buy and apply a new tape strip.

Got mine today. Left side is perfect, but right side is lifting up. So gonna ask them to try again.

Left View attachment 383133

Right
View attachment 383132

Was this a one person install job? My first one looked like this. When they came back to fix it I helped out a lot. The new one is holding strong. I really don't think this is a one person job as you need two people to ensure alignment and apply pressure on separate sides on initial application.

@Daniel F

I think the not using the spoiler as a handle is a standard disclaimer for any auto manufacturer. They all use the same method to attach spoiler unless it's integrated in the trunk lid.

I have my installation scheduled at the local service center tomorrow. Hopefully it will be better than mobile install as they have more helping hands if needed.

On a side note they never reached out to me for installation. I just tried my luck by scheduling an appointment first and they told me to go in today/tomorrow to have them installed. Urg.

I have my installation scheduled at the local service center tomorrow. Hopefully it will be better than mobile install as they have more helping hands if needed.

On a side note they never reached out to me for installation. I just tried my luck by scheduling an appointment first and they told me to go in today/tomorrow to have them installed. Urg.

which service center?

@Daniel F

there are two dedicated pull cups in the trunk you can use to close it instead of using your spoiler. I've been pulling down in one swift motion on either pull cup and it closes everytime.

Reactions: Daniel F
Torrance.

in san diego I'm getting...

'a lil song, a lil dance, a lil seltzer down my pants!'

after service tech promises a 'spoiler event' on 1st of MAR,
now, accountability taken then shirked, she's booted the discussion
to her (unnamed) manager, while alluding that he's 'out of town'
this week, not mentioning either a name or expected time of return?!?

how much do they pay employees to continue to misrepresent facts?
admitting there's a problem is 1st step to solving that problem.

but then again, if you never admit there was a problem,
didi it really happen?

The situation is evolving. They probably cancelled the event due to a 50%+ defect rate. I don’t think the employees are intentionally misrepresenting things. They are learning about things in real time. See my post on the previous page. A memo went out saying they’re gonna work on the spoiler defect issue.