Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody who took delivery in late 2018 already get their spoiler and badge. Tesla keeps telling me I'll get an email from them, but I know for a fact people who took delivery after me in Rocklin, CA have already gotten theirs. The Porsche Taycan is looking better to me everyday....

So far so good. 3 days later now and the corners are still staying put. Weird thing is, the part number (-00-A) and manufacture date is the same between the first spoiler and the 2nd. The only difference is the the 2nd one was installed using jigs, then both corners were taped for approximately 15 hours. I'm not sure if the latter is strictly necessary, since 3M molding tape is pressure activated and doesn't really have a "cure time". But I'm sure it didn't hurt.

That's great news!

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Anybody who took delivery in late 2018 already get their spoiler and badge. Tesla keeps telling me I'll get an email from them, but I know for a fact people who took delivery after me in Rocklin, CA have already gotten theirs. The Porsche Taycan is looking better to me everyday....

As with most Tesla things, keep calling them. It doesn’t hurt to be assumptive. “Hey I’m just calling to schedule my spoiler install, what’s your first available appointment?”

Reactions: jkoya
For all my fellow Coloradans, I just got mine installed Wednesday at Littleton, CO service center. Had A/C compressor replaced and they surprised me with the infamous CF spoiler. Said they just got them in and won't install unless it's above 60°F.

Corners got taped as well and so far so good...don't seem to be coming up at all. lt is not *completely* flush to the trunk across the top (I can predict the leaf problem), but I can also see that being hard to achieve.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
That's great news!
Quick update: 5 days later, the corners are still holding on the 2nd spoiler.

CDB0514D-0E17-4CB1-A5C4-D65FFE45019C.jpeg

Took delivery in October 18 in Rockville, MD. Got an email to install the spoiler on an upcoming Sunday in Virginia. I declined, not going to make that drive in DC for a piece of useless carbon on a weekend. Others have gotten mobile service to install and I figure quality will improve with time.

I just got back. An intake tent with a sign reading "spoiler event"; a couple of people staffing intake, and three stations of two people each doing the installs. Very careful to ask if I wanted just the spoiler or the badge as well; guy said about 50% are not adding the badge.

About a 5 minute wait for one of the stations; two guys working very smoothly to do the installs. Badge jig and spoiler jigs, after a quick but through clean/degrease of the area and a quick test fit. Most people never got out of their cars; I did, and they were fine with me watching them and chatting while they worked. About 5 minutes to actually do it.

One of the first steps was for one of them to key in my VIN in his laptop -- when he announced "yup!" I asked if they'd been getting impostors -- they both laughed and he said "no, I'm updating the car avatar". Sure enough, in the iPhone app I now have a black spoiler visible on the trunk.

After getting back home I looked more closely and decided I wasn't entirely happy with the alignment on one end; it was slightly raised. Went back and they were super nice about it -- looked at what I was describing, agreed, ripped the old one off and tossed it with a couple of others, re-cleaned, mounted a new one. (Perfect this time.)

As they were doing this, another tech came out and collected and boxed a different pile of 4 or 5 spoilers that were off to one side, and said "are these the warped ones?" and got "yep, all those" in response.

Had my spoiler installed in San Diego on the 27'th. They had a bunch in a stack waiting for scheduled P3D+ owners to show up.

They went through a few before I had one that fit. First one they sat on the trunk to check alignment and were like "Nope, does not fit", so they returned it to the stack. Next one, they sat on bumper between the guides and they liked the fit. Oddly enough, they did not clean the trunk or wipe it with anything. They pulled the tape and attached it, and were like "ok, you're done". I took a quick look and the left side end had already pulled away from the tape with a huge gap... I asked if that was normal and they said "Another one pulled up", someone else said "It already pulled up? that was fast!". so they set about removing the spoiler by yanking on it. Then tossed it in a box with other spent ones. Pulled another new one out of the box and it appears to fit properly. Pulled the tape and seems to fit. So 3'rd times the charm.

Double and triple check before you drive away.

• Informative
Reactions: is2scooby
Had my spoiler installed in San Diego on the 27'th. They had a bunch in a stack waiting for scheduled P3D+ owners to show up.

They went through a few before I had one that fit. First one they sat on the trunk to check alignment and were like "Nope, does not fit", so they returned it to the stack. Next one, they sat on bumper between the guides and they liked the fit. Oddly enough, they did not clean the trunk or wipe it with anything. They pulled the tape and attached it, and were like "ok, you're done". I took a quick look and the left side end had already pulled away from the tape with a huge gap... I asked if that was normal and they said "Another one pulled up", someone else said "It already pulled up? that was fast!". so they set about removing the spoiler by yanking on it. Then tossed it in a box with other spent ones. Pulled another new one out of the box and it appears to fit properly. Pulled the tape and seems to fit. So 3'rd times the charm.

So San Diego finally got some? Good. Maybe they will actually tell me next time

Did they mention anything about ceramic coating?

Wow, that seems really haphazard. Keep your eyes on those corners, there's a chance they may lift in a couple of days.

Got mine this weekend, pretty bad lift particularly on the passenger side. I think I'll just stick with it until they've got a revised model.

View attachment 402025
That's pretty bad. My 2nd one is holding so far. May just be luck of the draw.

Got mine this weekend, pretty bad lift particularly on the passenger side. I think I'll just stick with it until they've got a revised model.

View attachment 402025

Wow, that seems really haphazard. Keep your eyes on those corners, there's a chance they may lift in a couple of days.

That's pretty bad. My 2nd one is holding so far. May just be luck of the draw.

My first one was about half that bad before I got it replaced; now it's effectively perfect. I don't think it's "pulling up" at all; I think that's what the installers are telling themselves. I think they are getting the Y axis placement correct with the jig, but then being imprecise on the Z axis.

Open to correction if anybody confirms movement after firm placement.