Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are those of you with ceramic coating just assuming it won't stick properly?

I've been reading up on this as best as I can with the information available. From some detailing forums plus posts on reddit, there is no issue using automotive adhesive on ceramic coated panels so long as it was cleaned properly. Per the posts I have read. Some of these include employees at Opti.

Anyone have any tales to the contrary?

I've been reading up on this as best as I can with the information available. From some detailing forums plus posts on reddit, there is no issue using automotive adhesive on ceramic coated panels so long as it was cleaned properly. Per the posts I have read. Some of these include employees at Opti.

I have ceramic coating (opti+) on my car, and I didn't bother getting it removed before they put the spoiler on. One edge of my spoiler is perfect, the other edge has a slight lift (2mm) but it's been there since day 1, and it hasn't gotten any worse in the past month or so I've had the spoiler, and that's with the car being in heavy rainstorms and such. So, I think the slight lift is due to the spoiler's fit and not the ceramic coating. (It's not obvious unless you know where to look, though)

Just one anecdote for your consideration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tony_YYZ

In theory yes but Tesla will refuse to put it on if they know. Also it will stick better without coating, and apparently these like to pull away anyways. It's not like a badge where you dont need to remove at all. Better safe than sorry imo

In theory yes but Tesla will refuse to put it on if they know. Also it will stick better without coating, and apparently these like to pull away anyways. It's not like a badge where you dont need to remove at all. Better safe than sorry imo
From my search for data on this it seems like people are assuming there will be adhesion problems and this gets perpetuated.

The reason these spoilers have issues staying on is because of the poor manufacturing quality. I've yet to see any posted cases of ceramic coatings causing any adherence issues. In fact I've seen posts in various forums of people claiming they've had a very hard time removing lip spoilers and other items off of ceramic coated panels even years later due to the strength of the automotive adhesive.

Just looking for some actual evidence from anyone who can conclusively say their ceramic coating was the cause for adhesion failure.

Here are better pics of the middle of the spoiler. Red plastic razor blade for scale. There is no gap between the trunk lid and the spoiler (for now ;-). Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 155
Proactively reached out to Rocklin Service Center again by the Tesla app and they called me a day or two later saying that they had a new batch of spoilers arrive (not updated parts, just more: M3 Rear Spoiler, Carbon 1455166-00-A according to the work order).

I decided to give it a shot and the mobile tech came this past Friday with 5 spoilers. 2 of them were pretty good, 3 were not good at all. This was better than my first go round where out of the 6 spoilers none of them fit well.

I had them install the best one and have had supplemental tape on the trunk since Friday afternoon. I parked the car in the sun the day of the install and pulled it in at night. I haven't removed the tape yet (it has been raining and the Tesla is not my daily), but I'm hoping that all is well when I remove the tape later today. I'll post pics when I do.

yikes that gap in the center is not how it's supposed to be. My first one was like that. Rain and debris is going to get in there and corrode the adhesive.

It's so silly they can't get this right. I feel like I'm being ghosted by my service. center. it's nearing 2 weeks since they tried to install my 2nd one and it didnt fit. can't even get a hold of anyone

Tesla needs to take this back to the drawing board and stop trying to install all these spoilers that don't fit. How much money are they wasting in this process? We've waited over 7 months, what's another 4....

@is2scooby,

I thought 00-A was the updated spoiler? What’s the latest serial number? Wow. So 2 out of 11 spoilers fit OK?! NOT a good percentage/track record.

Ski

I believe there was a "prototype" spoiler that was a -99-A. The 00-A PN has been the only part number that has been tried on my car since my first mobile service appointment in March (and only 2 were decent out of 11).

Seems like the east is getting theres. What about the people in the midwest?!

It’s trickling out...I think I only saw one or two others on the boards post that they got it. My service center isn’t receiving a stock of spoilers yet....but they are getting some upon request. Same with mobile service. I’m hoping the tech has a few to try out and test fit. I know there have been reports of revised PN having issues still. So I tried to ask the guy (that set up the appointment) this and he said there used to be a problem...those spoilers were pulled and revised ones are out and have no issues. Will see...crossing my fingers.

Last edited:
From the mobile service tech that replaced my door handle on Monday, he said that they received a batch of 15ish and only 3 were good so they are having quality issues with them as well as just being behind on quantity available, so it is compounding the problem.

I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm really not. They need to fix the problem instead of wasting money like this

Reactions: boos67mustang
Mobile service came today...on Memorial Day! Tech was really cool. Asked me to inspect the spoiler first before he even started. He only had one. He said they inspect them all before they’re even sent out and toss the bad ones. We dry fit it and it Was just about perfect. It was all perfectly flush without applying any pressure. Except the pass side corner. BUT it was only a few mm off and only took a very light push to get it perfectly flush. Could basically apply pressure with my pinky to get it flush...nothing I would imagine 3M shouldn’t be able to hold down.

BTW. He said ceramic coating wouldn’t be an issue. But I polished anyway to maximize adhesion. Wanted to do paint correction on the car anyway. I just finished ceramic coating the car, including the spoiler.

25D3300F-3E73-4EB4-8BB8-8666915F8595.jpeg
4D9D6D87-67D4-4881-88F2-BC5A77B1EECD.jpeg
30CB3FB3-CB5F-4773-871D-8F2C2314915C.jpeg

Last edited: