Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call from Mobile Service yesterday. They got a new batch of spoilers in and will bring another 7 or so spoilers for the second attempt to find one that properly fits.

I don’t get it. Unless there’s variances in the stamped rear trunk lids. Why cant they test fit them on a car before sending them out with mobile service? The tech that installed mine said their service dept inspects the spoilers and test fits them...getting rid of the bad ones before even sending them out with the techs. Which makes sense if the spoilers themselves is the variable and not the trunks.

Reactions: KenC
Unless there’s variances in the stamped rear trunk lids.

During latest mobile service visit for the spoiler install, I was told there are slight variances in the trunk lids.

Attempt 2 with 4 spoilers. None fit properly....back in the queue for the next shipment to arrive.
c02pwRpzQWGamT0Zi1ozoQ.jpg

Mobile service came today...on Memorial Day! Tech was really cool. Asked me to inspect the spoiler first before he even started. He only had one. He said they inspect them all before they’re even sent out and toss the bad ones. We dry fit it and it Was just about perfect. It was all perfectly flush without applying any pressure. Except the pass side corner. BUT it was only a few mm off and only took a very light push to get it perfectly flush. Could basically apply pressure with my pinky to get it flush...nothing I would imagine 3M shouldn’t be able to hold down.

BTW. He said ceramic coating wouldn’t be an issue. But I polished anyway to maximize adhesion. Wanted to do paint correction on the car anyway. I just finished ceramic coating the car, including the spoiler.

View attachment 412630 View attachment 412631 View attachment 412632
Going on 2 weeks tomorrow. So far it seems to be holding. The ends have some “play”. Meaning if you push hard on it it will compress against the trunk a little bit more. The drivers side less than the passenger. I’d say the amount of play is about the same if you were to compress the double sided tape? Although the passenger side is a hair more...even if I try to pull it away from the trunk it doesn’t budge. And the amount of pressure it takes to compress it is FAR less than it took to get it flush when it was being dry fit, which was barely any pressure. Excuse the dirt/ pollen, it’s gonna rain tomorrow and didn’t bother to wash the car.

View attachment 417470 View attachment 417471

Was at the mall where there’s a Tesla store and demo cars parked outside. There happen to be a performance 3...so i walked by to check if it had a spoiler. The passenger side was pulled away and pretty much just flopping around.

Update on mine: will be 8 weeks tomorrow. When it’s sitting in the summer sun for a while and gets really hot...the passenger side seems to have a touch more play than when it hasn’t been sitting out in the sun. What I mean by that, is that if you push it against the trunk...it will compress maybe a few mm If its not in the sun and piping hot it will hardly compress at all. I don’t think the adhesive is lifting...more so that the double sided tape is becoming pliable and stretching in the heat? Reason I say this is that if i try to blow air/water from under/over the spoiler...it doesn’t come out the other side and will just exit the end of the spoiler...indicating there isn’t a gap between the spoiler and trunk.