Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It breaks my heart to see that. But at the same time with so many people here complaining about the same problem I wonder when people will say "enough is enough" and just move on and get something else that works.

Sure, you paid for it as part of the Performance package, but is that cost worth having to worry every morning if this will be the day your spoiler peels off? I wonder if you can get a credit for just the spoiler.

Reactions: destructure00
That’s a horrible fitment. Did they even dry fit it? Why would they even attempt to install that?

Are you pulling the spoiler back a bit or is the fitment just that bad ?

I pulled it up a little bit to emphasize that nearly 50% of it had unstuck in one night, but it wasn't far off from that.

Was able to push it back down and it seems to have restuck for now but I scheduled my 4th spoiler appointment for 9/13 to replace again.

Going back for my 4th spoiler install this weekend. Wish me luck again lol

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out....my ends are lifting as well....I’ve posted pictures in this thread somewhere I believe. Just trying to decide how long/how bad to let it go....fear a new one may be worse....crazy we have to deal with this.
What’s the alternative? Tweet a Elon to death about what’s up with these spoilers?

Ski

Just curious from an Australian perspective. All of our cars come straight off the boat with the spoilers preattached. Is this now the way they come in the US as well?

The early Performance adopters like myself had to wait almost a year before even GETTING the spoilers attached by appointment at SC or Mobile. (Same with the Dual Motor Badges). They apparently weren’t even being manufactured right out of the gate. However they’ve all been bad figment or lifting. Multiple tries for alot of folks....I’m still on the original.
The new Performance deliveries o believe have been coming with them installed from the factory but not sure how figment and lifting has gone for them.

Ski

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out....my ends are lifting as well....I’ve posted pictures in this thread somewhere I believe. Just trying to decide how long/how bad to let it go....fear a new one may be worse....crazy we have to deal with this.
What’s the alternative? Tweet a Elon to death about what’s up with these spoilers?

Ski

TBH yes or get an influencer to ask them about it where he might actually read it. Also we have to keep on demanding the product we were promised. At this point they've replaced so many spoilers it has to be worth it for the to take it to the drawing board. We're such a low portion of production it's easy for them to ignore us.

Tbh they are being pretty stupid about it. All it takes is a memo that they will rework it. I would even wait half a year at this point or even a yeari they needed time to fix the fundamental issue. I'm so sick of getting useless replacements

In case anyone is thinking of getting an aftermarket one, I just installed this one. They accepted $165 plus shipping. It fits great, and the finish looks OEM. I will see how it holds up but it’s snug and I can close the trunk with my hand on it.

Fits for Tesla Model 3 Real Carbon Fiber Rear Trunk Spoiler Gloss Black | eBay

6510BFE6-74A1-421B-91AB-9ACC69852849.jpeg
D8BCADE8-0235-4A7A-9B79-EEE08F051C1B.jpeg
EDF72DDA-962A-4E8B-B647-B00F20E0EA8E.jpeg

On my 4th spoiler fitting appointment last week, I finally accepted one that had a very, very slight gap on the passenger side. The Mobile Tech said it was one of the better fitting ones he had seen. It was the 16th one that was fitted to my trunk lid.....

Do you guys think the problem is that they don't use a heat gun? While the DIY'ers do?

In the case of my particular car, the shape of the spoilers didn't correctly conform to the shape of the trunk lid. Large, visible gaps were present during the test fittings. Forcing those spoilers to correctly conform to my trunk lid would have required considerable force.....just my personal experience. The two mobile techs did have a heat gun with them......

I didn't use a heat gun in my install video -- but I did leave the car and the spoiler sitting in the sun for about 30 minutes. And I'm sure by the time I pulled into the (shaded) garage and got to the part of the video where I actually installed it, I'm sure both the car and spoiler had cooled to regular air temp.

Do you guys think the problem is that they don't use a heat gun? While the DIY'ers do?
Dunno, since I've never seen what the Tesla installers do. I just know what I did. I installed the one OEM spoiler I ordered off eBay, and I made sure the red 3M tape was wrinkly from the heat before squeezing it on the trunk. I didn't place the spoiler on the trunk and then pull out the tape one by one, as I thought that would take too long and the tape would get cold. I removed the tape and heated it up thoroughly, then placed it carefully in place and squeezed down. Then I continued to heat the spoiler after it was on the trunk to ensure a good seal. Of course, I cleaned it thoroughly before installation. It hasn't budged since install. I just find it odd that I only got one spoiler and it installed perfectly, while Tesla installers bring a dozen and can't get one to fit. Seems almost statistically impossible!

Reactions: skrtskrt