Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody tried to put foam tape under the weather stripping to alleviate wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put some foam tape under the weather stripping on my model 3 and if anything it sounds louder. I didn’t have an official measurement before and after though. Has anybody tried this? Should I have had lower expectations if it creating a better door seal?

Attachments

• C6A4B531-9E4E-4A01-A2C6-7D51CA603C8C.jpeg
    C6A4B531-9E4E-4A01-A2C6-7D51CA603C8C.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 270
Lots of people have messed with this since 2017. Foam, extra weather stripping, new replacement weatherstripping, glass adjustment, A pillar applique replacement, hotglue, silicone, liquid rubber, etc.

Embrace and accept the somewhat modern EV econobox. Its the new industry standard for QA.

Lots of people have messed with this since 2017. Foam, extra weather stripping, new replacement weatherstripping, glass adjustment, A pillar applique replacement, hotglue, silicone, liquid rubber, etc.

Embrace and accept the somewhat modern EV econobox. Its the new industry standard for QA.
I don't care about panel gaps and overall QA but what I do care about is the relentless loud wind noise on every highway I drive on and the need to blast music to compensate.

Not sure where you saw mention of panel gaps and overall QA, intriguing.

In your particular case, its the relentless loud wind noise that you should embrace. It is a true signature feature of the 3/Y twins. And thanks to the frameless windows, it will only get worse as the weather stripping ages and shrinks, becomes brittle.

The new acoustic windshield and front driver/passenger glass does nothing to eradicate the problem, nor do most of the band-aids you can find detailed here or across the web.

Last edited:
Not sure where you saw mention of panel gaps and overall QA, intriguing.

In your particular case, its the relentless loud wind noise that you should embrace. It is a true signature feature of the 3/Y twins. And thanks to the frameless windows, it will only get worse as the weather stripping ages and shrinks, becomes brittle.

The new acoustic windshield and front driver/passenger glass does nothing to eradicate the problem, nor do most of the band-aids you can find detailed here or across the web.
You didn't mention panel gaps. My point is that this isn't some petty complaint like oh the front left panel is .3mm off. This is a serious annoyance that's more than just a quality control issue.

I just put some foam tape under the weather stripping on my model 3 and if anything it sounds louder. I didn’t have an official measurement before and after though. Has anybody tried this? Should I have had lower expectations if it creating a better door seal?
FYI I think you might be barking up the wrong tree as to the source of the wind noise. A common source of wind noise near the driver door is in the A pillar:
Solved: wind noise

This post had a good tip on how to systematically find the source of the wind noise and evaluating the effectiveness of any fix by having a helper with a hair dryer blowing air.

You may also try temporary tape on the outside and driving to eliminate any particular area as the cause.

Last edited:
FYI I think you might be barking up the wrong tree as to the source of the wind noise. A common source of wind noise near the driver door is in the A pillar:

This post had a good tip on how to systematically find the source of the wind noise and evaluating the effectiveness of any fix by having a helper with a hair dryer blowing air.

You may also try temporary tape on the outside and driving to eliminate any particular area as the cause.
Are there places I can bring it where they would do audio testing and seal up this stuff in a scientific way for me and I could pay them?