Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been able to switch out generation 1 seats for generation 2 seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the gen 1 seats and they have always seemed like they weren't filled all the way, and very uncomfortable. I was in my friends model 3 this past weekend, (he got his in July, I got mine in March) and his seats are WAY WAY better, more comfortable and have way more filling. I want Tesla to switch my seats out. Has anyone been successful at doing the switch?

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
I cant see any situation where tesla (or ANY other car manufacturer) would do something like that for free. Although you didnt say free, so maybe you are wanting to pay for it. If you want to pay for it, you might get somewhere, eventually. If you are looking at asking them to do it for free, I think that has less than Zero percent chance.

I have the gen 1 seats and they have always seemed like they weren't filled all the way, and very uncomfortable. I was in my friends model 3 this past weekend, (he got his in July, I got mine in March) and his seats are WAY WAY better, more comfortable and have way more filling. I want Tesla to switch my seats out. Has anyone been successful at doing the switch?
As of when are seats gen 2?

I cant see any situation where tesla (or ANY other car manufacturer) would do something like that for free... If you are looking at asking them to do it for free, I think that has less than Zero percent chance.

FWIW Tesla did exactly this with the suspension parts... early builds who complained about the ride got the new parts swapped free by Tesla.

Don't know that they'd do same on the seats, but it wouldn't shock me if they did so for someone who had specific complaints.

FWIW Tesla did exactly this with the suspension parts... early builds who complained about the ride got the new parts swapped free by Tesla.

Don't know that they'd do same on the seats, but it wouldn't shock me if they did so for someone who had specific complaints.

Thats amazing, and better than anything BMW ever did to my knowledge. There were cases where (for example) people ordered new 5 series, and it was supposed to come with the powered trunk and many units did not because of supply issues. These were on ordered cars, which is common in BMW land and the people didnt know about it till their cars came in. I believe they got some small credit, but they did NOT get the powered trunk retrofitted even though BMW could have done so fairly easily.

This is a situation that is likely because its a dealer network having to do that work (and be compensated for it), vs the MFR. Buying directly from the MFR like Tesla is not "cheaper" because they control the pricing, but I MUCH MUCH prefer it, as you dont have dealers pointing fingers at the MFR and vis versa saying "its their fault".

Thanks for that feedback, at least now I know that tesla has "bent over backwards" in the past for customers.

My version 1 seats are awful. I've asked Tesla for the new version 2 seats that should have come with the car. Tesla finally got back to me and they want me to pay $3750 plus tax for the new front seats. I paid over $68k for my model 3 and the version 1 seats were redesigned due to them being awful. The version 2 seats are what should have come with the car. This is so not right or fair. Trying to squeeze more money from customers for seats that should have come with the car. BS!

my gen 2 seats do not feel filled either. Feels like im sitting on a bar. You can feel it with your hand. I don't know how people can like these seats.

I was sitting in another car with gen1 seats and thought they felt better. Except for the rear. But with the rear the trade off is your seats will not fold down flat.

My version 1 seats are awful. I've asked Tesla for the new version 2 seats that should have come with the car. Tesla finally got back to me and they want me to pay $3750 plus tax for the new front seats. I paid over $68k for my model 3 and the version 1 seats were redesigned due to them being awful. The version 2 seats are what should have come with the car. This is so not right or fair. Trying to squeeze more money from customers for seats that should have come with the car. BS!

I still think that if you can find a manufacturer who has swapped out seats, for free for a customer because of a comfort complaint.(and the car is not a rolls royce or bently or something), I would like to see it.

In any case, you will get NO WHERE posting here. You "might" be able to get somewhere by escalating to the correct people if you can find them (maybe try a management escalation in the tesla app). If you do that, my advice would be to take some time to craft your message so it sounds nothing like the post above. If thats the message you escalate, I can virtually guarantee you will get nowhere.

Dont go in with guns blazing. You want to talk about how much you love the car, but it hurts your back when you drive it, and that you tried to escalate through normal channels, but they wanted you to pay an amount of money you simply cant afford, and is there anything they can do to meet you halfway or something... etc.

You likely would get somewhere if you did a management escalation and offered to meet them halfway on the cost they said. You likely get nowhere if you say "this should have come with the car!!! I cant believe you sold it to me like this!!!! how dare you charge me!!!!".

(just my opinions though). Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

That's a ridiculously self entitled attitude. Companies improve their product offerings all the time. why would you think that you deserve to get the new seats? Just because they made better ones and you want them? I bought a laptop once and several months later they sold the same one with a faster processor, I didn't contact the manufacturer and ask for a new processor - that's not how things work.

Seriously! You are so right! I paid $120k for a 991 Porsche only a few years ago and now they are going to sell a better resdesigned 992 with more power and looks better. Now they want me to pay another $120k or more for it when they should have designed mine to look like the 992 from the beginning. That’s not fair! I am going to sue them to get a new one. BS!

Reactions: GSP
Thats amazing, and better than anything BMW ever did to my knowledge. There were cases where (for example) people ordered new 5 series, and it was supposed to come with the powered trunk and many units did not because of supply issues. These were on ordered cars, which is common in BMW land and the people didnt know about it till their cars came in. I believe they got some small credit, but they did NOT get the powered trunk retrofitted even though BMW could have done so fairly easily.

This is a situation that is likely because its a dealer network having to do that work (and be compensated for it), vs the MFR. Buying directly from the MFR like Tesla is not "cheaper" because they control the pricing, but I MUCH MUCH prefer it, as you dont have dealers pointing fingers at the MFR and vis versa saying "its their fault".

Thanks for that feedback, at least now I know that tesla has "bent over backwards" in the past for customers.

BMW DID do this retrofit (or credit IIRC) for F83 M3 Owners that didn't get the folding seatbacks because of supply issues. But that was because it was a feature listed on the order sheet / sales literature that was not provided.

In the case of Tesla and the seats, I can't see them just swapping them out for someone.

Since Tesla rolls out changes to the car as they feel like it (some people like i.e. seats, some they don't i.e. rear glass window tint, alcantara) rather than on a model year basis - a better analogy to the situation would be wanting Ford to swap out the next model year's infotainment system for free since it is better than the one they had before.

Reactions: UngaBunga1989