Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone cut ties with your utility in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AB-1346 bans the sale of small off-road engines (including gasoline powered portable generators in 2028) in California:
They make an exception for diesel and propane powered generators.
Yep, that was passed a while ago. It only bans sales but not use. Also, in addition to the exemptions mentioned, natural gas powered generators are also exempt. Larger generators (19+kW) are also exempt which seems counter-intuitive.

OP and several others on this thread seem to be seriously considering cutting ties with their utilities in California and going 100% off-grid. Based on few responses, it appears this is even possible in San Diego (and other places?). I posted a reply warning people that Tesla Energy is not 100% dependable, and so you might not want to cut ties with the utility yet. And my response was moved to a Tesla customer service discussion thread because it was not relevant to the discussion here as Tesla Energy is not a utility in CA! In a thread where someone asks if it is possible to shoot themselves in the foot, why is it not relevant to warn them against the risks of doing so?

OP and several others on this thread seem to be seriously considering cutting ties with their utilities in California and going 100% off-grid. Based on few responses, it appears this is even possible in San Diego (and other places?). I posted a reply warning people that Tesla Energy is not 100% dependable, and so you might not want to cut ties with the utility yet. And my response was moved to a Tesla customer service discussion thread because it was not relevant to the discussion here as Tesla Energy is not a utility in CA! In a thread where someone asks if it is possible to shoot themselves in the foot, why is it not relevant to warn them against the risks of doing so?

Because there is already a 16+ page discussion on Tesla customer service, which is what your post was about (both the other one and the above one). People upset with Tesla customer service for their own situations tend to come in and try to spiral other discussions toward that discussion, and we already have a thread for that.

Why not just cut the power to the House if you can generate power through Solar and Battery backup? Most of the time electricity companies can't tell when power is out to a neighborhood let alone a House.
That doesn't stop the basic monthly charges, which are what they are wanting to make income based in California. (But maybe you wouldn't mind paying more than $100/month for a service you aren't using.)

Why not just cut the power to the House if you can generate power through Solar and Battery backup? Most of the time electricity companies can't tell when power is out to a neighborhood let alone a House.
Actually, with a SmartMeter, the utility can tell when you're drawing zero versus the power being out. However, if you throw the main breaker, the meter is still powered from the utility, but you're not drawing anything. That's fine. Many people can turn off their main breaker and run their house for an extended period of time from solar and Powerwalls during this time of year.

I agree with you about Tesla customer support being bad but it's not valid to make the equivalence between Tesla and POCO at least in California. Tesla is just another equipment vendor not a POCO that provides electricity service. As many posts on this and other forums show, having your own home battery even with the grid connected means you are often a power plant operator in terms of monitoring and getting necessary support as needed from equipment vendors like Tesla. This would be even more so if you go off grid as there is nothing to fall back on. People dreaming of going off grid would do well to look at the day-to-day experience of people who have lived off-grid for years before taking the leap.

Reactions: BGbreeder
My installer the other day told me that the Gateway cannot black start, needs a 240v external feed - the grid connection or a substitute. So in that case, being actually off grid would for most require a propane or similar supply, for supplemental winter heating, and a black start generator. But then I have a tendency to use a broad definition of "grid" as anything supplied by someone else, like propane delivery.....

My installer the other day told me that the Gateway cannot black start, needs a 240v external feed

Perhaps consider reading post #129 from this thread:

Or, alternatively, this thread:

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Perhaps consider reading post #129 from this thread:

Or, alternatively, this thread:

Thanks for this!

Reactions: jjrandorin