Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone driven both an SR+ and new RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some experience with the SR+ LFP and it seems due to the timing of my order I am going to be stuck with one of the new RWDs. I am curious if the difference in acceleration is substantial. It is going to be my wife's car, but I will drive it from time to time. We also have an LR AWD order and I am leaning towards that at this point.

I just want someone to post their Dragy results somewhere. I will be coming from a 2019 SR+ and hardly ever floor it completely, so I may be able to live with it to gain the extra range and better battery life. Mine is at 12% degradation after 52,000 miles.

We've had a 2019 SR+ for a couple of years and I just took delivery of a 2022 SR with the new LFP battery. Having driven the SR+ numerous times and now the new SR for the last few days, my butt dyno can't tell a difference. The new car feels just a punchy as the old car. Sure, we haven't raced them against each other, but I would wager the vast majority of human internal accelerometers could not tell a difference. The plus side is that the new LFP battery should experience a much lower rate of battery degradation than the already pretty low LFA.

The range changed and the 0-60 changed dramtically vs the 2021 SR+ LFP, so they are not the same.

I dont think you are using the terms correctly...

The "old" SR+ is NOT "LFP". It is NCA battery chemistry.

It appears to me you intended to say that you "have experience with the SR+ with NCA battery chemistry, and want to know if the new SR RWD with LFP battery chemistry feels as much slower as the stated times", but thats me putting words in your mouth because thats not what you said.

I dont think you are using the terms correctly...

The "old" SR+ is NOT "LFP". It is NCA battery chemistry.

It appears to me you intended to say that you "have experience with the SR+ with NCA battery chemistry, and want to know if the new SR RWD with LFP battery chemistry feels as much slower as the stated times", but thats me putting words in your mouth because thats not what you said.
No, there was a brief period last year for SR+ with an LFP battery and that is what I have driven. I believe the battery was smaller than the current LFP battery so it had less range and the same acceleration as the NCA battery, See below. So my question was phrased correctly, but if it needs to be more simple, has anyone drive a 5.8 and 5.3 0-60 car and did you feel a difference?

No, there was a brief period last year for SR+ with an LFP battery and that is what I have driven. I believe the battery was smaller than the current LFP battery so it had less range and the same acceleration as the NCA battery, See below. So my question was phrased correctly, but if it needs to be more simple, has anyone drive a 5.8 and 5.3 0-60 car and did you feel a difference?

Since US deliveries of LFP SR+ vehicles didnt start till this year, you must be talking about internationally, where they started last year. In any case, whether 1/2 a second is "a little or a lot" is going to depend on individual experiences, what people are used to, etc. a 5.8 second model 3 is going to feel fast to someone used to econoboxes, while its going to feel extremely slow to someone coming from a 2018 Tesla AWD Long range vehicle.

The LR AWD Model 3 (with or without accelerator boost) feels "slower" to me, if I am flooring it from a stop, since I have a performance model 3. My wifes X3 M40I used to feel fast to me until I got my Model 3 performance, now it feels unbelievably slow.

If it were me, I would not buy one of the LFP rear wheel drive Model 3s, because the fact you can charge it to 100% all the time means nothing to me ( I dont drive the entire range of the car out daily, so it doesnt matter that I can or cant charge to 100%) yet you feel the cars acceleration every time you step on the pedal.

I would buy the LR AWD myself, as that feels to me like the sweet spot between performance and price. 1/2 a second is a fairly substantial difference, to me, but to some others, they would rather charge to 100% all the time, or they dont care about the acceleration.

Reactions: XPsionic
Since US deliveries of LFP SR+ vehicles didnt start till this year, you must be talking about internationally, where they started last year. In any case, whether 1/2 a second is "a little or a lot" is going to depend on individual experiences, what people are used to, etc. a 5.8 second model 3 is going to feel fast to someone used to econoboxes, while its going to feel extremely slow to someone coming from a 2018 Tesla AWD Long range vehicle.

The LR AWD Model 3 (with or without accelerator boost) feels "slower" to me, if I am flooring it from a stop, since I have a performance model 3. My wifes X3 M40I used to feel fast to me until I got my Model 3 performance, now it feels unbelievably slow.

If it were me, I would not buy one of the LFP rear wheel drive Model 3s, because the fact you can charge it to 100% all the time means nothing to me ( I dont drive the entire range of the car out daily, so it doesnt matter that I can or cant charge to 100%) yet you feel the cars acceleration every time you step on the pedal.

I would buy the LR AWD myself, as that feels to me like the sweet spot between performance and price. 1/2 is a fairly substantial difference, to me, but to some others, they would rather charge to 100% all the time, or they dont care about the acceleration.

I meant last model year, as in 2021 vs the 2022s coming out now. So new a couple of months ago. It sounds like I am just going to have to drive them.

I would buy the LR AWD myself, as that feels to me like the sweet spot between performance and price. 1/2 a second is a fairly substantial difference, to me, but to some others, they would rather charge to 100% all the time, or they dont care about the acceleration.
I care about driving dynamics including acceleration but 0-60 is quite a poor proxy for the real world.

The most direct ICE competitor to a 3SR+ is a RWD 330i, which on paper is almost exactly as quick from a standstill (5.4 seconds 0-60). But IRL i rarely have reason + opportunity to gun it from a standstill, and the 330i is much less quick when I need it most.

The other day I was on an on-ramp and I noticed the SUV previously tooling in the right lane accelerating to … cut me off? Because… reasons? Anyway in two blinks of an eye I’d put so much space between us that he’d given up.

In some ways driving IRL is kinda binary. Your car either has the dynamics (power, traction, grip, handling, etc) to do the things you want to, or it doesn’t.

I’d be more concerned about the reported weight gain. But 5.3 vs 5.8 in 0-60 doesn’t really tell me much at all.

I have not driven the 5.8s RWD LFP but I have driven a 5.6s SR, 5.3s SR+ LFP, 5.3s SR+ NCA.

5.3s SR+ LFP > (faster than, noticeable) 5.3 SR+ NCA >> (much faster than, very noticeable) 5.6s SR NCA
However,
5.3s SR+ LFP >> (feels much heavier than) 5.3s SR+ NCA = (feels similar weight to) 5.6s SR NCA

I would think the 5.8s SR+ LFP will certainly feel slower and heavier. With that said... in everyday driving (it is an SR....) they're all the same. If give the choice between all 4.... I'd have to go with the 263mi 5.3s SR+ NCA, then the 253mi 5.3s SR+ LFP, then 273mi 5.8s LFP, then the 220mi SR NCA.

Last edited:
I care about driving dynamics including acceleration but 0-60 is quite a poor proxy for the real world.

The most direct ICE competitor to a 3SR+ is a RWD 330i, which on paper is almost exactly as quick from a standstill (5.4 seconds 0-60). But IRL i rarely have reason + opportunity to gun it from a standstill, and the 330i is much less quick when I need it most.

The other day I was on an on-ramp and I noticed the SUV previously tooling in the right lane accelerating to … cut me off? Because… reasons? Anyway in two blinks of an eye I’d put so much space between us that he’d given up.

In some ways driving IRL is kinda binary. Your car either has the dynamics (power, traction, grip, handling, etc) to do the things you want to, or it doesn’t.

I’d be more concerned about the reported weight gain. But 5.3 vs 5.8 in 0-60 doesn’t really tell me much at all.
This resonates with me. I was paying close attention to 0-60 times in my recent car shopping, but only as a poor proxy for the acceleration that my wife and I actually care about, which is almost never 0-60. It's just that 0-60 is such a widely published and advertised spec.

Reactions: MG535
I have not driven the 5.8s RWD LFP but I have driven a 5.6s SR, 5.3s SR+ LFP, 5.3s SR+ NCA.

5.3s SR+ LFP > (faster than, noticeable) 5.3 SR+ NCA >> (much faster than, very noticeable) 5.6s SR NCA
However,
5.3s SR+ LFP >> (feels much heavier than) 5.3s SR+ NCA = (feels similar weight to) 5.6s SR NCA

I would think the 5.8s SR+ LFP will certainly feel slower and heavier. With that said... in everyday driving (it is an SR....) they're all the same. If give the choice between all 4.... I'd have to go with the 263mi 5.3s SR+ NCA, then the 253mi 5.3s SR+ LFP, then 273mi 5.8s LFP, then the 220mi SR NCA.
Funny I have also driven them all, in fact I owned all three at different times. 2019 SR+ -> 2021 NCA -> 2021 LFP.
I agree with you assessment on the acceleration as well as the weight. I do however disagree on the choices. I'd take 2021 LFP with 253 miles over 2021 NCA anyday. Not only is it faster (feels), it has more real world range (100% charging), slower battery degradation, immediate regen where my NCA would take quite some time to have regen becoming available. I have driven in 32F weather with 2021 LFP already, and it had regen immediately to which I was surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Funny I have also driven them all, in fact I owned all three at different times. 2019 SR+ -> 2021 NCA -> 2021 LFP.
I agree with you assessment on the acceleration as well as the weight. I do however disagree on the choices. I'd take 2021 LFP with 253 miles over 2021 NCA anyday. Not only is it faster (feels), it has more real world range (100% charging), slower battery degradation, immediate regen where my NCA would take quite some time to have regen becoming available. I have driven in 32F weather with 2021 LFP already, and it had regen immediately to which I was surprised.
You make good points. I also owned all 3 and ended up with the nca as my daily (i only charge to 70pct daily) . Lfp 5.3 vs nca 5.3 is a close call both have pros. Curious how you'd rank the undriven 5.8 lfp?

This resonates with me. I was paying close attention to 0-60 times in my recent car shopping, but only as a poor proxy for the acceleration that my wife and I actually care about, which is almost never 0-60. It's just that 0-60 is such a widely published and advertised spec.
Some publications such as Car and Driver list 30-50 and/or 50-70 times. Both of these are going to be used more frequently in real-world situations than 0-60 which is probably a 60s musclecar-era holdover, IMO.

Some publications such as Car and Driver list 30-50 and/or 50-70 times. Both of these are going to be used more frequently in real-world situations than 0-60 which is probably a 60s musclecar-era holdover, IMO.

I agree it is not the best metric. My Hellcat was awful from 0-60 on street tires because it couldn't get any traction. It was a beast once it was moving at a decent clip however, assuming you could manage the still present wheel spin. Getting back to the Tesla, an increase in 0-60 times probably means all the other measures of acceleration are worse as well. I don't think we are ever going to see any type of testing on the different variants, which brings us back to whether or not the difference can be felt.

Can the new one still leave 99% of cars in the dust at a stoplight and at on ramps? That is the main thing I am concerned about. Right now, I don't have to floor the 2019 SR+ to jump out in front of the pack. Concerned about having to floor it in these cases, as I get some weird noises and feelings in the car when I do that. Don't know if it is tire slippage/traction control kicking in or what.