Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone driven their Model X from Phoenix to Anaheim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven this route countless times back and forth. There are more than plenty Superchargers on the way. Indio, Rancho Cucamonga, Cabazoon, Quartzsite, Buckeye. You don't even need to hit all of them. If you have no charging around Anaheim, just charge up a little more in Rancho Cucamonga and you are good. There are tons of public L2 chargers in Anaheim, though. Several CHADeMO stations as well if you have the adapter.

Just use the car's trip planner and you are fine.

What is the 'sweet-spot' speed for long-distant highway cruising to maximize range yet not be going so slow that you're being constantly passed by other cars. In our Honda Pilot we maxed out at 84 mph when the speed limit was 75. I assume with the MX wind resistance at that speed would eat up the battery pretty good. I'm hoping 77 - 79 mph is possible for a trip to CA.

That's a very common and good question. What is the best speed to drive at to optimize your overall trip time. Several people (including me) have run all kinds of numbers. Roughly the ideal speed to drive at is somewhere between 75 and 90 mph. If you go slower, you spend more time driving and waste time. If you go faster than 90 your energy usage goes up and you need to charge your battery to a higher level (where Superchargers get slower). That means the time you saved up driving faster will used up by longer charge time. It all depends a little on distance between Superchargers and weather and so on, but just roughly, going 80-90mph is ideal.

The most important thing to save time on longer trips is only charging as much as you need between Superchargers and arrive at a low battery level. The reason is that a Supercharger charges really fast when the battery is empty and slows down as the battery fills up. It's just how Superchargers work. So when I take long trips I aim to arrive at a Supercharger at 5% or so and then only charge just as much as I need to get to the next one. This way I always get the fastest charge rate and save time.

That's a very common and good question. What is the best speed to drive at to optimize your overall trip time. Several people (including me) have run all kinds of numbers. Roughly the ideal speed to drive at is somewhere between 75 and 90 mph. If you go slower, you spend more time driving and waste time. If you go faster than 90 your energy usage goes up and you need to charge your battery to a higher level (where Superchargers get slower). That means the time you saved up driving faster will used up by longer charge time. It all depends a little on distance between Superchargers and weather and so on, but just roughly, going 80-90mph is ideal.

The most important thing to save time on longer trips is only charging as much as you need between Superchargers and arrive at a low battery level. The reason is that a Supercharger charges really fast when the battery is empty and slows down as the battery fills up. It's just how Superchargers work. So when I take long trips I aim to arrive at a Supercharger at 5% or so and then only charge just as much as I need to get to the next one. This way I always get the fastest charge rate and save time.

Ah, great points. I'm learning. Thanks bro.

Oh, I have another question! I found myself checking the Altitude (elevation?) of my destination city vs. the supercharger location. I noticed Tesla doesn't seem to factor in the the uphill/downhill factor. Is there a formula you guys use to decide how much to buffer that takes altitude into account?

The in-car trip planner does take elevation into account for sure. I drove many road trips through mountains and the elevation changes are visible in the trip energy graph.

overTheHill.jpg