Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever charged ALL the way to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone? Most probably have at some point. Yes, the last 1% or so takes quite a while. Totally normal. Avoid charging over 90% unless necessary (to minimize degradation). Search the forum and you will find a ton of good info on charging, battery, etc.

Many times, when I know I'm going on a long trip.

I charge overnight so I don't know how long it takes to get to 100%.
If you must charge to 100% - When you set the charge it will tell you the estimated time to completion. Using that estimate, set scheduled charging to finish around the time you plan to depart. This will help to avoid sitting at a high SOC for longer than necessary and will also start you off with a warm battery. Sitting at 100% is not good.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
I do this once every 3-4 months if taking a road trip doesn't cause me to do it sooner, to make sure that the BMS gets properly calibrated. And I charge to 50% for daily use otherwise.
This makes sense - according to the best understanding and remarks made in the early days, in the half hour or so after doing a 100% charge the BMS will do its recalibration. If you never charge fully at all, then the BMS is simply calculating the battery state on 'dead reckoning' which gets more error prone over time. So over a long period it will be less accurate - occasionally doing a full charge will increase accuracy and often 'recovers' some miles displayed - there are many threads about fixing range loss by doing this.
It matches my experience over 10 years of ownership.

I mean to the point it finally stops charging. In my experience it takes a long time to “top off.”

Rofl....

Yes, people charge to 100% all the time. Yes, it can take quite some time to "finish" when you charge to 100% it will then balance the battery cells. If charging to 100%, one should let it finish, no matter how long it takes. Since no one should be charging to 100% at a supercharger on a regular basis, there should be plenty of time to just let it sit there and finish when one does this.

I should have read to the end of the thread before clicking reply since this was already said.

Last edited:
This makes sense - according to the best understanding and remarks made in the early days, in the half hour or so after doing a 100% charge the BMS will do its recalibration. If you never charge fully at all, then the BMS is simply calculating the battery state on 'dead reckoning' which gets more error prone over time. So over a long period it will be less accurate - occasionally doing a full charge will increase accuracy and often 'recovers' some miles displayed - there are many threads about fixing range loss by doing this.
It matches my experience over 10 years of ownership.
It's important to let the BMS get readings at low (sub 20%) SoCs too. So when I return from longer drives I'll let the car sit overnight before charging it (which happens automatically because I use Scheduled Departure).

Doesn’t sitting at a low SOC harm the battery just a little bit?
No. You just don't want to go way below 0% because then the battery becomes unusable, so it's not good to store it at very low SoCs because self discharge could take the voltage way too low. Also, don't park the car with very low SOC on a cold night and let it sit. It might not be able to move in the morning.

I've had my 2022 Model 3 for nine months now I was told at a TESLA Service Center that I could charge all I wanted, anytime I wanted with no harm to the battery.
Your Tesla Model 3 (if the Standard Range Plus (SR+) has the lithium iron phosphate (ferro phosphate), aka LFP, battery chemistry. The LFP battery should regularly (weekly) be charged to 100%. Other Tesla vehicles may use the lithium, nickel, manganese and cobalt (NMC) battery chemistry. The NMC battery should not be kept charged to 100% for extended period, especially in warmer temperatures as this will degrade the capacity of the NMC battery.

Rofl....

Yes, people charge to 100% all the time. Yes, it can take quite some time to "finish" when you charge to 100% it will then balance the battery cells. If charging to 100%, one should let it finish, no matter how long it takes. Since no one should be charging to 100% at a supercharger on a regular basis, there should be plenty of time to just let it sit there and finish when one does this.

I should have read to the end of the thread before clicking reply since this was already said.
The Tesla manual says there's no need to let it finish:

Note
When charging to 100%, the vehicle may continue to charge with low power when charging is displayed as complete. This is expected operation. Because the added energy beyond this point is low, it is usually not beneficial to continue charging.