Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone figured out how to force WiFi to stay on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
As the title implies. I think there used to be a time when you could toggle a setting to keep WiFi on, even while driving. the later software updates, seem to have made this an "illusion". Now whenever I get into my building's garage, I need to remember to go to the car screen, then tap the LTE 📶 button to turn the WiFi on.

Does anyone have a workaround, to keep it permanent?

I think there used to be a time when you could toggle a setting to keep WiFi on, even while driving. the later software updates, seem to have made this an "illusion".

According to the latest Model 3 Owner's manual, for software version 2023.2, under
Hotspots and Connectivity:

You can also use a mobile hotspot or your phone's Internet connection via Wi-Fi tethering (subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier) to access the internet. To remain connected to Wi-Fi when shifting into Drive or Reverse, choose the connection from the Wi-Fi settings screen, then touch Remain connected in Drive.

Last edited:
No a clue where Hotspots and Connectivity can be found.

You have to be connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot (or Wi-Fi router or access point) that you want to remain connected to while in Drive or Reverse.

Touch the WiFi icon at the top right of the screen or the same icon at the top right of one of the Controls screens.
wifi1.jpg

Touch Wi-Fi Settings on the resulting menu.
wifi2.jpg

Touch on the name of the connected Wi-Fi network.
wifi3.jpg

Touch Remain connected in Drive.
wifi4.jpg

You have to be connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot (or Wi-Fi router or access point) that you want to remain connected to while in Drive or Reverse.

Touch the WiFi icon at the top right of the screen or the same icon at the top right of one of the Controls screens.
View attachment 916554

Touch Wi-Fi Settings on the resulting menu.
View attachment 916555

Touch on the name of the connected Wi-Fi network.
View attachment 916557

Touch Remain connected in Drive.
View attachment 916558
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Love
Reactions: MLXXXp
There is another thing going on, at least for iPhone users, in that it won't let the car automatically connect. You must go to the hotspot screen on your phone first to allow "others to connect". The Tesla is an "Other". Your Apple devices can connect automatically but not the others. This is a security feature of the phone.

What always happens to me is that the car automatically goes to LTE because it can't see the hotspot until I do that, and then I have to turn wifi on manually. Once turned on it finds the hotspot and connects, and remembers the "Remain connected in drive" setting. Only if I remember to turn the phone hotspot on first, before I put it in drive, will it connect automatically, and then only sometimes depending on how long I wait.

Another thing is that I tried to use programmed automation on the phone to automatically bring the hotspot up when it connected to the car's bluetooth and it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. You still had to force the applet to run. It was easier to just bring up the screen manually.