Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had issues with after getting the Infotainment upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late-2016 Model S. My car was included with the recall - for months before the recall was talked about, I was at the service center numerous times because I was having so many problems (backup camera slow to come up, if at all-loss of turn signals-frequent black screen-inability to play music-etc). They were never able to resolve the issues so I was happy when I got the recall notice. The service center told me they were waiting for parts. Then they told me that the recall work would only be done when the system completely failed. My car continued to get worse to the point I no longer wanted to drive it. I decided a couple of weeks ago to purchase the Infotainment upgrade to resolve the issues rather than wait until it failed. I have all of the other available upgrades, including full self driving. I was excited when I picked up the car until I noticed they had dented the screen frame and forgotten to remove the protective film. They told me they would order a new frame and remove the film when they installed it. When I got home, I tried all the new features - they don’t all work. As far as I can tell, it is only the music functions. The worst is the Caraoke. When I select a song, the play button flashes from play to pause rapidly then the screen starts glitching. It won’t play at all. When I took it back, they kept it a few days and said it was fixed. It is not fixed - still does the same thing. The latest thing they told me they spoke to the engineers and they said it was a firmware issue but they had no idea when it would be resolved. Needless to say, I am very unhappy that I paid so much and the car still does not function properly. Has anyone else had this issue or have advise to offer?

Attachments

• E8CEAB11-CC0B-4EAC-BBDF-64829E25E63B.jpeg
    E8CEAB11-CC0B-4EAC-BBDF-64829E25E63B.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 721
Sucks to read about your experience with the installation quality.

Yes, there are some bugs and glitches. Backgammon for me does not work and prompts an immediate reboot when selected and never actually comes up. This worked perfectly on MCU1 prior to the infotainment upgrade.

Frustrating.

Reactions: tybah
So I found another issue from the Infotainment upgrade. At night, my rear camera is so dark that I cannot use it to back up. 🙄
also, not that I really use it, but the ‘cowbell’ thing doesn’t show the rainbow road anymore. My biggest irritation with it all at the moment is that when they repla the metal screen trim that they dented, they scratched up the top of it badly. Looks like crap now. I’m at 2 weeks past this upgrade install and they still can’t tell me when and if it will be fixed. I really wish Tesla would do better with their customer service and handling problems with the cars instead of pretending they don’t exist.

OMG, yes. Ordered, schedule ok 1 December for 5 January install. Took car in, went back on Friday to get car. ""It's not ready, MCU is wrong."". Some BS about chip or software not working in the car. I went in Friday. It's ready. It needed charge. I went to sup charger a mile away. Plugged in. No limit screen. They argued with me. Guy next to me checked, yes part missing. I took picture, went back to SC. Yep, it's not there. I asked what they were going to do to fix it?? Man said nothing. He's a jerk. He said I would have live with app on cell.
I got home and all of a sudden I had a software update on the screen. It went on Saturday morning. . Update notes were an entire screen full of updates. Low and behold the charge part appeared, with a bunch of other changes.
The upgrade didn't fix my TPMS. Senor issue. Since number 9 , the system will not read my senors. They want $2000 to completely change the TPMS. system. Forget it.
I will say, it's totally different, I mean totally. And much brighter center screen.
Oh it was $1600 for 2 screens and MCU. I didn't need LTE that cost $200. And I refused to pay $500 for am\fm radio.

Reactions: Wanderer
I had m late 2016 Model S updated with the new MCU and it is full of bugs. At first it lost Tunein, I reported it and it was back a day later. The worst and most annoying bugs are with USB media. It absolutely will not return to what it was playing previously after leaving and returning to the car. I instead has either select media or defaults to Tunein CNN. The next most annoying bug are the icon/album art for USB. Here are 2 examples The wrong graphic on the instrument console. And wrong icons for the history.
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg

The worst and most annoying bugs are with USB media. It absolutely will not return to what it was playing previously after leaving and returning to the car.
Not sure it's considered a bug as I think it's been that way with MCU2 from the start. Yep, it is annoying. If sentry mode is on, then USB will continue where it left off. Basically if the car powers down (to reduce vampire drain), USB will not automatically start up. There is a trick to start USB where it left off. Use the voice commander "USB".

Not sure it's considered a bug as I think it's been that way with MCU2 from the start. Yep, it is annoying. If sentry mode is on, then USB will continue where it left off. Basically if the car powers down (to reduce vampire drain), USB will not automatically start up. There is a trick to start USB where it left off. Use the voice commander "USB".
I have sentry mode on all the time, and it works. USB Music never returns to where it left off. I will try the voice commander tomorrow. It definitely was not that way with the original MCU. I do consider it a bug, that and the bogus icon history and failure to update/sync the artwork between the instrument and center displays. that's crap

I upgraded to MCU2 about a year and a half ago. My car is still occasionally dead when getting in after it has been sitting a day or longer. Both screens black, no HVAC, unable to do anything except drive. Eventually they wake up, but this happens every couple of months.

I have sentry mode on all the time, and it works. USB Music never returns to where it left off. I will try the voice commander tomorrow. It definitely was not that way with the original MCU. I do consider it a bug, that and the bogus icon history and failure to update/sync the artwork between the instrument and center displays. that's crap
no joy. Same irritating behavior.

I've just upgraded my 2017 Model X (after a 9 month wait for the parts).
Leeds SC had the car for 2 days, 1.5 of which were spent 'loading firmware'
It's disappointing, to say the least - TuneIn now won't load Planet Rock / Absolute Radio over LTE which worked perfectly on the old MCU1, and was the reason I didn't take the AM/FM/DAB optional upgrade
Homelink isn't working and won't reprogram either.
The 'improved' UI is pants as well - with windows I want to retain all the time (Map and power usage) impossible to keep on the screen
All in all, a waste of a grand and a half :(

Have you tried a reset? TuneIn and Homelink work fine with MCU2, but perhaps the installation was faulty. In addition to being a lot more responsive, both displays were replaced, and your old ones were likely leaking or about to leak. Never had a problem leaving the map on the screen, as it's the default. The energy screen seems to be on the way out. No longer available at all in the new S/X.

Have you tried a reset? TuneIn and Homelink work fine with MCU2, but perhaps the installation was faulty. In addition to being a lot more responsive, both displays were replaced, and your old ones were likely leaking or about to leak. Never had a problem leaving the map on the screen, as it's the default. The energy screen seems to be on the way out. No longer available at all in the new S/X.
Thanks for the reply, vcor. Yep, tried the reset, and while TuneIn works (for some stations) it doesn't work for others. Contacted the SC today and they suggested I buy the radio upgrade 'for more radio functionality' - I removed that from the original order because TuneIn on MCU1 was so reliable. I'm thinking that, as the firmware upgrade took a number of attempts, it's likely to be an installation issue. It's re-booked with the virtual service robot for next week - I'll keep the forum posted.......

There is no way the "radio" upgrade will fix this - it does add FM/XM and that's it. It has nothing to do with streaming services. I hesitate to suggest this, but you could try a factory reset. A few others with MCU2 upgrades have had success at eliminating oddities after an MCU2 upgrade. That said, you lose all your settings and Homelink if you do a factory reset.

I upgraded to MCU2 about a year and a half ago. My car is still occasionally dead when getting in after it has been sitting a day or longer. Both screens black, no HVAC, unable to do anything except drive. Eventually they wake up, but this happens every couple of months.
My 2015 S does the same thing after the infotainment upgrade. Had anyone had service look at this random issues?