Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone noticed rear dual pane windows? (US)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know china is making rear dual pane windows but apparently someone on Reddit said they went to a show room and the Model Y had rear dual pane windows here in the US.

Has anyone else seen them at show rooms? I hope it’s something we’re getting soon.

Also, the US market should be getting the latest and greatest upgrades before anyone else!

As I’ve seen this inquiry multiple times, is this really that ground breaking an improvement to be concerned? Sincerely asking not poking. Just doesn’t seem that critical.
I wouldn’t consider it ground breaking. Nor would I delay any deliver for it. I’m just curious if it made its way over to the US yet.

I wouldn’t consider it ground breaking. Nor would I delay any deliver for it. I’m just curious if it made its way over to the US yet.
Thanks. Yeah, non issue to me.
Yea it's not ground breaking but I'd still want it to keep my occupants from being ejected in a worse case scenario. There's also the reduced cabin noise and theft reduction. And on the last point they need to dual pane the small rear quarter window too as that's the window thieves like to bust.

Reactions: preilly44
Tell them to wear seatbelts?
Huh, you assume they wouldn't? And even if they for some stupid reason were not wearing belts, because kids will be kids, the dual pane glass is nice to have in that case. I don't get the contrarian reply.

Huh, you assume they wouldn't? And even if they for some stupid reason were not wearing belts, because kids will be kids, the dual pane glass is nice to have in that case. I don't get the contrarian reply.

Guess I see it differently. After side airbags deploy I personally would rather know the side windows disintegrated allowing them (I) to just crawl out vs watching them (kids) needing to somehow kick the windows out. As automotive side windows have been for Many years. But that’s me.

From your article:

The van's driver and front seat passenger wore seat belts but weren't ejected. The van rolled over several times. At least eight other people were injured.

"While seatbelts remain an indispensable safety tool, they are not infallible," said Jason Levine, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety. "The reality is that in certain rollover circumstances — particularly for large vehicles like passenger vans — seatbelts by themselves are not enough."

Glass is not a restraining device. It's not sold, tested or marketed thusly so although the dual pane laminated rears have other beneficial characteristics (as you pointed out), restraining occupants is a bit far fetched. In fact there is an opposite and more probable concern, which is that it's very difficult for trapped rear occupants to shatter and exit the vehicle, even with the safety hammer (as evidenced in the video you posted. )

Stepping back, the MYP/M3 have basically none of the characteristics of the vehicle in the linked article. It's low with a stable heavy mass, making it almost un flippable based on standardized tests and anecdotal data. The van is high, tippy, heavy, and likely had no shoulder restraint and only a lap belt in the rear rows, like the majority of passenger vans I've been in recently (mostly hotel and airport transport ones).

Not dismissing that it'd be neat but that specific reason for wanting it struck me as something out of left field. I too would like the dual pane rear glass, mainly for more sound isolation.

Last edited:
I know china is making rear dual pane windows but apparently someone on Reddit said they went to a show room and the Model Y had rear dual pane windows here in the US.

Has anyone else seen them at show rooms? I hope it’s something we’re getting soon.

Also, the US market should be getting the latest and greatest upgrades before anyone else!
I picked up mine yesterday and it still had a single pane rear window.

Picked up our MYP 4 days ago. Fronts are definitely dual pane, rears are not.

Yea it's not ground breaking but I'd still want it to keep my occupants from being ejected in a worse case scenario. There's also the reduced cabin noise and theft reduction. And on the last point they need to dual pane the small rear quarter window too as that's the window thieves like to bust.
windows will shatter just by tossing a piece porcelain at them (like from a broken spark plug). It's not gong to stop theft in the slightest