Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ordered Homelink for service center installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondered if anyone has ordered Homelink after they received their car and how long it took for delivery of the Homelink unit. I ordered mine three weeks ago and my credit card was charged, but no notification of shipment.

Call them, the item is already there, I called them after 3 weeks, made the appointment to have it installed elsewhere, when I got there, they had to drive to the other location to go get it, install took about 3 hours, first time they did an install at this location in San Diego.

Works great after I removed the LED light off the new Marentec garage door opener.

Fred

BTW the original service center called me a month after to tell me the part was in. I had to break the news that the part was recovered from their location and installed a month prior. They have these in stock but the install priority puts it back.

When you call customer service, be sure to have your orders number, they will check and see if it arrived. Should of been there before 3 weeks.

Fred

Ordered Homelink on the Tesla site and then made a service appointment. They advised me that a mobile tech would do the installation at my home. Good tech, new to the process. No problem physically installing equipment but when software glitch developed he reached out for help and a next-level service guy showed up and solved the problems.
Pretty cool, actually.
Sytem (particularly the auto-detection) works great.

Ordered Homelink on the Tesla site and then made a service appointment. They advised me that a mobile tech would do the installation at my home. Good tech, new to the process. No problem physically installing equipment but when software glitch developed he reached out for help and a next-level service guy showed up and solved the problems.
Pretty cool, actually.
Sytem (particularly the auto-detection) works great.

That's interesting. They told me it had to be done at the SC since they needed to remove the front bumper to install the module. They never offered to do it using the mobile service.

That's interesting. They told me it had to be done at the SC since they needed to remove the front bumper to install the module. They never offered to do it using the mobile service.
They have to remove the front bumper?

Had I known this, I might not have ordered the HomeLink...and I may cancel it.

I have had bad experience whenever dealers had to disassemble body parts for accessory installation because of resulting rattles, etc.

Reactions: Phlier
They have to remove the front bumper?

Had I known this, I might not have ordered the HomeLink...and I may cancel it.

I have had bad experience whenever dealers had to disassemble body parts for accessory installation because of resulting rattles, etc.

Right. My appointment was originally a mobile appointment, then I got a call and was told to bring it into the SC. And yes, the front bumper comes off. It's a 2 hour job.

Right. My appointment was originally a mobile appointment, then I got a call and was told to bring it into the SC. And yes, the front bumper comes off. It's a 2 hour job.

They did a fine job, but I was shocked when they said that too. I mean I had JUST taken delivery and to go and have to remove the bumper. It all worked out, but I was nervous to say the least.

They did a fine job, but I was shocked when they said that too. I mean I had JUST taken delivery and to go and have to remove the bumper. It all worked out, but I was nervous to say the least.

Agreed, it's REALLY an odd business model... "Dear Beloved Customer; you can't include Homelink on your factory order, nor can you order it separately and have the SC install it for you before M3 delivery. The only solution is for you (and your sorry @$$) to come back to the SC a couple of weeks later to have one of our SC stooges tear your brand new car apart and hold it for a day." :mad: Okay, GREAT - Sign me up for that!

At least they gave me a loaner, but they did chip the paint on my fender (that's why I said, "STOOGE," earlier)! Rather than bringing it back to SC (risking more damage), I took care of it myself with the $80 paint kit Tesla sold me....:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Now I understand why it costs $300. It’s all about the labour.

I’m not sure we’re going to risk damaging the paint, or incurring rattles, or any other issues that could have been avoided had they installed this in the factory production line.

Wondered if anyone has ordered Homelink after they received their car and how long it took for delivery of the Homelink unit. I ordered mine three weeks ago and my credit card was charged, but no notification of shipment.

i had the mobile technican at my home working on another issue. but i asked him directly why the time between purchase and installation is already 7+ weeks in my case. he said to create another service appointment and ask for the unit to be installed and then the local tesla SC and the mobile division will figure out the part situation.

so that is what i did, but then when the tech came back onsite, after he exposed the front bumper, he discovered the module was already installed, just needed to have the software updated. looks like tesla shipped my model 3 out with the module installed and could be possibly all of them or at least my batch (received june 7 - canada/toronto) where the module is already there just disabled via the software.

What was the b
i had the mobile technican at my home working on another issue. but i asked him directly why the time between purchase and installation is already 7+ weeks in my case. he said to create another service appointment and ask for the unit to be installed and then the local tesla SC and the mobile division will figure out the part situation.

so that is what i did, but then when the tech came back onsite, after he exposed the front bumper, he discovered the module was already installed, just needed to have the software updated. looks like tesla shipped my model 3 out with the module installed and could be possibly all of them or at least my batch (received june 7 - canada/toronto) where the module is already there just disabled via the software.

What was the build date (not delivery date) of your M3? This info can be found on the manufacturers label located in the driver's door jam. Thanks for sharing.

this...
i keep going back and forth on purchasing HomeLink. Especially with the stories of techs causing damage to the car. just not sure it is worth it

Please keep in mine you can configure how Homelink works via the user interface screen. You can set the defaults to not do anything automatically, if you want to void the risk of a "misfire". I have mine set to only open as I approach the garage, no auto closing (after pulling in) or auto opening when I'm backing out of the garage. Just saying, it's not all or nothing. You get to choose. :)

Reactions: jvmoore1
Please keep in mine you can configure how Homelink works via the user interface screen. You can set the defaults to not do anything automatically, if you want to void the risk of a "misfire". I have mine set to only open as I approach the garage, no auto closing (after pulling in) or auto opening when I'm backing out of the garage. Just saying, it's not all or nothing. You get to choose. :)

I think he was talking about the technician could damage the car during the installation? But I guess it could the the "technology" of auto open/close?

I can't understand why they could put this as an post purchase accessory when you have to remove the bumper to install it. It's not like they have a bunch of service people sitting around with nothing to do. It's almost like they are sabotaging their own service center / mobile service appointment availability.

I think he was talking about the technician could damage the car during the installation? But I guess it could the the "technology" of auto open/close?

I can't understand why they could put this as an post purchase accessory when you have to remove the bumper to install it. It's not like they have a bunch of service people sitting around with nothing to do. It's almost like they are sabotaging their own service center / mobile service appointment availability.

sorry i prob could have been clearer. i was referring to the installation. But, i have also read some post on here about Homelink causing the door to close on cars and causing damage as well.

My apparent error. I do agree with the poster re bumper removal damage, as I experienced that first hand.