Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I installed my Homelink a couple of years ago there was no option to enable it myself (I didn't know that), so when I had mobile service out for something else I asked the tech to turn it on for me. He was surprised that I had already installed it, and didn't really believe my story about "not noticing" all the warning labels saying not to open the box, but he went ahead and enabled it for me anyway.

What does he care? As long as Tesla isn't tracking and retaliating against helpful techs, it's no skin off his back to spend 2 minutes pressing the button for me in exchange for a good review.

Adding on here. I had the same error after moving my Tesla bought and installed module from my ‘21 M3P to my ‘24 MYP. I physically installed myself, errored in my garage, took to SC today and they charged me $60 to activate it. As unfair as that may be, it was worth to me so I paid. Head tech had to be called in. No idea what they did but I shared concepts from this thread to help them figure it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51 and RoBoRaT
First time Model 3 owner here.

For those of you wanting to DIY HomeLink after seeing the latest issues, please read!

I purchased a HomeLink module after lurking on this thread RIGHT before it was discovered the DIY method stopped working. I installed the module myself and got the unauthorized configuration error message in service mode. Frustrated, I went ahead and scheduled the SC repair and was pleasantly surprised to see a $0.00 estimate. I’m not sure why some of you were charged, Tesla seems so arbitrary with their fees sometimes! In my service message, I simply said that I have HomeLink installed, but it’s not working. Anyway, the repair technician showed up, I was courteous, and completely honest about what I was trying to do, and he enabled the model, no problem… and there was no charge!

If you’re lurking… try installing an OEM Tesla HomeLink module and schedule a service appointment. No issues for me. Hopefully Tesla will wise up and start allowing users to enable it themselves in service mode again, but until then, cross your fingers that you get a good service rep!

Attachments

• B3261FE4-E15A-485A-B156-00392865A700.JPG
    B3261FE4-E15A-485A-B156-00392865A700.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 24
  • JPEG image 3.jpeg
    JPEG image 3.jpeg
    949.8 KB · Views: 18
  • JPEG image 4.jpeg
    JPEG image 4.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 17
For those of you wanting to DIY HomeLink after seeing the latest issues, please read!

I did read your post, and forgive me if I missed something, but I dont see anything in it that isnt in the last few pages of this thread... which is basically "put in a service request, and hopefully they wont charge you but be prepared to pay".

Since you put "please read", if the above is not accurate, can you repeat the part that we need to make sure not to miss?

First time Model 3 owner here.

I purchased a HomeLink module after lurking on this thread RIGHT before it was discovered the DIY method stopped working. I installed the module myself and got the unauthorized configuration error message in service mode. Frustrated, I went ahead and scheduled the SC repair and was pleasantly surprised to see a $0.00 estimate. I’m not sure why some of you were charged, Tesla seems so arbitrary with their fees sometimes! In my service message, I simply said that I have HomeLink installed, but it’s not working. Anyway, the repair technician showed up, I was courteous, and completely honest about what I was trying to do, and he enabled the model, no problem… and there was no charge!

If you’re lurking… try installing an OEM Tesla HomeLink module and schedule a service appointment. No issues for me. Hopefully Tesla will wise up and start allowing users to enable it themselves in service mode again, but until then, cross your fingers that you get a good service rep!
I just received an estimate for $388.70 lol. Let’s see if the tech programs the module without charging me. Appointment is on 4/3. I’m located in Dallas. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Attachments

• IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
I just received an estimate for $388.70 lol. Let’s see if the tech programs the module without charging me. Appointment is on 4/3. I’m located in Dallas. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Update.
Total came out to $16.40. I had a cool service tech and explained to him that I purchased the module 3rd party and installed it myself. I told him if it’s going to cost me over $300, do not program it. He sent me an updated estimate and I approved it. Home link is now showing up on my car. The module cost me $162.36 from eBay. Total came out to $178.76. WORTH IT

Attachments

• IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 11