Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the 14-50 wall connector yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW the online store reps are saying the 14-50s are backordered (even for people who had confirmed orders when they were in stock). They don't know the restock date but used "weeks" in their email. Factoring in Tesla time, I'll be surprised if it arrives before the end of February.

FWIW the online store reps are saying the 14-50s are backordered (even for people who had confirmed orders when they were in stock). They don't know the restock date but used "weeks" in their email. Factoring in Tesla time, I'll be surprised if it arrives before the end of February.
Tesla makes it really hard to love them as a company...

An update...

Tesla has removed the product from their online shop. Unlike other products that are back ordered or temporarily sold out, Tesla didn’t leave the link on their shop page with the usual “Sold Out” banner. Instead, when visiting the page, you get a 404 error. I wonder if this means they’re not going to sell the product anymore...

Original link here:
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/wall-connector-with-14-50-plug.html

And... it's no longer on the website to order. Wonder what happened.
This is just a guess but they might need to differentiate the packaging more and make the limitations of the corded wall connector more obvious. Last year, many people incorrectly received the corded wall connector when they were trying to order the regular hard-wired version. At the time, the packaging was identical, leading to the wrong product being shipped out. Also, the corded version is limited to 40 amps. Some who accidentally received the corded version might've tried to remove the cable and use it as a hard-wired version. The cabling on this version is much thinner so you can't (or shouldn't) attempt to use it above 40 amps. Also at the time, the devices were sent out with the wrong settings so the sealed "plug and play" wall connectors wouldn't work unless they were opened and a dip switch setting was changed.

While it was probably quick and easy to add a plug and start selling this as another product, I think they should differentiate them better. Perhaps change the packaging to avoid shipping the wrong item. Alter the outer shell to make it obvious it is a different/limited version of the product so buyers/installers can instantly know the product limitations. Update the website to indicate when corded vs. hard-wired should be ordered to prevent buyer confusion and ordering the wrong product. Charge different prices so that buyers can tell the products are different and aren't direct replacements for each other.

Then again, maybe it is just a website error and the exact product will show back up in a few days. :confused:

My friend never got his and likely never will. Even though I verified that upgrading AWD to a performance using my friends referral code would count for him, I am now told that it did not, and that it did not qualify me for Free Supercharging either, although they did give that to me. Been fighting with tesla about it but there's nothing I can do.

In my account, for my one referral I try to claim my free hat and all I get is a spinning wheel.