Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the 14-50 wall connector yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m really curious for someone to pop it open and check the following:

1) Does it have connections to support the daisy-chain of multiple chargers on a shared 50amp line (perhaps with 14-50 splitter).
2) Does it have the power selector to limit max power below 50amp.

Anyone know by chance? I can’t find any details.
On the "early release" unit we had last February, they did not have the ability to be daisy-chained.

Good to know I’m not the only one... I did email order status at Tesla a couple of days ago and crickets...

I never understood why a company as tech forward as Tesla doesn’t have an online order tracker like literally every other online store.

Indeed. Tesla Sales is stuck in the 1990s. Only email access (often takes days to get a reply). You get an online tracker once it ships.

Aww that is not a good sign. Anyone with the recent production version have a chance to pop it open and see if you can 1) adjust change rate or 2) add daisy chain connection?
It does have a smaller cord to the car, so don't expect a higher rate to be possible.

Opening it would likely void the warranty as well. Why would anyone ever buy this, at the same price as the other, if they were expecting to use those advanced features?

It does have a smaller cord to the car, so don't expect a higher rate to be possible.

Opening it would likely void the warranty as well. Why would anyone ever buy this, at the same price as the other, if they were expecting to use those advanced features?

I can think of two reasons:
1. It is the only code compliant way I am aware of to put a pigtail on a Wall Connector. Even if you don't care about code compliance, it sounds like from the manual that it has a thermal temp sensor in the end of the whip to the receptacle which is a great safety feature.
2. It has a thinner cord to the car which may be desirable for some (the one on the basic Wall Connector is a beast).

Note that some folks live in temporary living arrangements (like an Apartment or Condo) but they want the convenience of a Wall Connector. So a plugged in option may work really well for them.

While I don't think there is much application for load-sharing two cord-connected wall connectors (since code won't allow two 14-50's on one circuit for EV charging anyway), I DO think there is a good use case for being able to flip a switch to tell the Wall Connector to limit itself to 32a (in the case where you have only a 40a circuit feeding it).

I can think of two reasons:
1. It is the only code compliant way I am aware of to put a pigtail on a Wall Connector. Even if you don't care about code compliance, it sounds like from the manual that it has a thermal temp sensor in the end of the whip to the receptacle which is a great safety feature.
2. It has a thinner cord to the car which may be desirable for some (the one on the basic Wall Connector is a beast).

Note that some folks live in temporary living arrangements (like an Apartment or Condo) but they want the convenience of a Wall Connector. So a plugged in option may work really well for them.

While I don't think there is much application for load-sharing two cord-connected wall connectors (since code won't allow two 14-50's on one circuit for EV charging anyway), I DO think there is a good use case for being able to flip a switch to tell the Wall Connector to limit itself to 32a (in the case where you have only a 40a circuit feeding it).
But if you purchase it to comply with code, then you open sealed "do not open" box and change the non-documented settings, what does that do to the UIL listing and following code? If the house burns down because the load sharing doesn't really work, Tesla isn't going to stand behind it.

I agree it has a place, that's for sure. Especially if it has thermal temp sensor in the pigtail. But I question purchasing it for un-documented use.

Reactions: eprosenx
But if you purchase it to comply with code, then you open sealed "do not open" box and change the non-documented settings, what does that do to the UIL listing and following code? If the house burns down because the load sharing doesn't really work, Tesla isn't going to stand behind it.

I agree it has a place, that's for sure. Especially if it has thermal temp sensor in the pigtail. But I question purchasing it for un-documented use.

Yeah, agreed. If there is not a documented procedure in the manual for turning down the max current then you are right, it likely is not supported (which also means not code compliant).

I am mostly curious right now if the cover is removable in the exact same way it is on the regular Wall Connector and if the rotary dial (or any other switches) exist on the PCB. Once we know this and have pictures of it then we can debate what they might do and whether they are supported or not.

If they do exist but are not documented then perhaps we could hope Tesla choses to revise their manual at some point and document allowed uses. ;-) (not holding my breath)

Yeah, agreed. If there is not a documented procedure in the manual for turning down the max current then you are right, it likely is not supported (which also means not code compliant).

I am mostly curious right now if the cover is removable in the exact same way it is on the regular Wall Connector and if the rotary dial (or any other switches) exist on the PCB. Once we know this and have pictures of it then we can debate what they might do and whether they are supported or not.

If they do exist but are not documented then perhaps we could hope Tesla choses to revise their manual at some point and document allowed uses. ;-) (not holding my breath)
In the unit we had in February 2018, I believe it had the dials and dip switches. We actually had to open the unit to change the dip switch setting because it was set to 120 volts instead of 240 volts. The faceplate came off exactly the same way as the regular wall connector. Once we changed the dip switch, the unit charged fine at 40 Amps. The included documentation didn't mention anything about changing any of the dials or switches but we had a regular WC manual which indicated what things did. At the time, we wondered if they all came off the production line with the wrong settings and that could've delayed their release to the public since they probably had to recall them to correct the settings.

Reactions: android04
Are you talking the regular WC or the new one with the 14-50 attached?
I added the power cord to the regular WC. I didn’t want to give up my nema 14-50 power outlet. Finding a plug to use with 6 AWG was the difficult part. Connecting the cord to the WC was just like attaching regular house wire except it was to a plug. Wire from the power panel to the Nema 14-50 is 6 AWG too.

In the unit we had in February 2018, I believe it had the dials and dip switches. We actually had to open the unit to change the dip switch setting because it was set to 120 volts instead of 240 volts. The faceplate came off exactly the same way as the regular wall connector. Once we changed the dip switch, the unit charged fine at 40 Amps. The included documentation didn't mention anything about changing any of the dials or switches but we had a regular WC manual which indicated what things did. At the time, we wondered if they all came off the production line with the wrong settings and that could've delayed their release to the public since they probably had to recall them to correct the settings.

FYI, I emailed Tesla and they asked.

They confirmed that this version of the wall connector does not have the ability to set the amperage and that it can not pair with other wall connectors.

It is ONLY for use on 50a circuits they said.

So a very targeted use case.

Plug and play.

So we need to help make sure folks with 40a circuits don’t try to buy or use this.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker