Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received their federal refund after the turbotax mess?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they DID extend it, I wonder if they'd ever allow it to be applied retroactively. Just like how the tax credit for installing EV charging equipment ended in 2017. But it was jut extended again and is also retroactive all the way back to 2017 (so I can get the credit on the Tesla charger I installed in 2018).
I don't think they they will open up the VEHICLE rebate since Tesla has sold so many cars. Yes, I would love it if they did, but I don't see it happening.

Accepted by IRS on 20 feb. filed w TurboTax. Itemized.

refund was supposed to be deposited today.
IRS website does not even list an estimated date.

Your tax return is still being processed.

A refund date will be provided when available.’”

Like everything involving our fed govt now, it’s messed up and dysfunctional. Trump has destroyed this country.

Just filed today and Turbo Tax is still screwed up on this issue
They let you override the default of the full $7500 which is what I did; but on the actual form that is filed which you can view but not edit it shows $1875 with 100% as the amount for the phase out which is just wrong

not sure if my return will get rejected or amount reduced; I owe so they will tell me I am sure

also certain some will stick with the Turbo Tax default of $7500 and either get lucky or get in trouble

months later it is ridiculous they have not made the form easy

Accepted by IRS on 20 feb. filed w TurboTax. Itemized.

refund was supposed to be deposited today.
IRS website does not even list an estimated date.

Your tax return is still being processed.

A refund date will be provided when available.’”

Like everything involving our fed govt now, it’s messed up and dysfunctional. Trump has destroyed this country.

That's GOTTA be it. There is NOTHING else going on in this country except your taxes.
The 08'-16' IRS was well known for its productivity and timelines. Orange man bad. (Rolling eyes)

They let you override the default of the full $7500 which is what I did; but on the actual form that is filed which you can view but not edit it shows $1875 with 100% as the amount for the phase out which is just wrong

I'll assume you have the latest update since TT is pretty annoying about making sure.

It has been a while, but with the last update, it fixed thing so that you start with the $7500 full amount and then just follow the step-by-step and you end up with the $1875 final amount. They fixed it so it should work properly without having to make any manual intervention.

not sure if my return will get rejected or amount reduced; I owe so they will tell me I am sure

also certain some will stick with the Turbo Tax default of $7500 and either get lucky or get in trouble

months later it is ridiculous they have not made the form easy

keep us posted. Now they have till 7/15 to fix..

Related matter IRS will use either 2018 or 19 returns for the stimulus check. 18 if you haven't filed 19(for those who have huge difference in income)

I'll assume you have the latest update since TT is pretty annoying about making sure.

It has been a while, but with the last update, it fixed thing so that you start with the $7500 full amount and then just follow the step-by-step and you end up with the $1875 final amount. They fixed it so it should work properly without having to make any manual intervention.

Done all online, so assume that is the latest version.
When I left it at $7500 ; it was going to send me a rebate check which I knew was incorrect.
Manually changed it to the $1875 amount so is the correct amount but the actual attached form is incorrectly filled out by them.
Seems like they changed it yet again.

Should move to another system but gotten lazy with the convenience of pulling up previous year information on the same platform (reason for still using TurboTax)

keep us posted. Now they have till 7/15 to fix..

Related matter IRS will use either 2018 or 19 returns for the stimulus check. 18 if you haven't filed 19(for those who have huge difference in income)

Only reason I rushed to do it and filed was because of the stimulus ; based on 2018 our family would receive nothing but based on 2019 we would.
Latest I read is they still use 2018 even if you have 2019 filed ; and are only looking at 2019 if you did not file in 2018 ; which seems absurd but we will see.

Not sure if true but also read that the amount is really a tax credit for 2020 paid in advance ; so is possible if I don't get anything now and meet the requirements based on 2020 amounts that I will get the stimulus next year. If that is true then people making much more in 2020 than they did in 2018 will be in for an unpleasant surprise next year as they will owe some or all of it back.

Not sure if true but also read that the amount is really a tax credit for 2020 paid in advance ; so is possible if I don't get anything now and meet the requirements based on 2020 amounts that I will get the stimulus next year. If that is true then people making much more in 2020 than they did in 2018 will be in for an unpleasant surprise next year as they will owe some or all of it back.

Family size same, but our income went up in 2019 so I'm waiting and will file as soon as stimulus checks start coming. Hopefully, TT/HR Block fix this credit phaseout by then

I did see it as "rebate" somewhere?? confusing..

I field with TurboTax on 2/22 - right after they fixed the credit form - and received my return, including the credit, on 3/11. My refund did go into review for about 3 days (progress bar disappeared from the IRS refund status page and a message referring me to topic 152 was displayed), but we claimed some other credits and part of the EV credit was allocated to my business, both things known to trigger reviews anyway.