Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
update.

The freon in the system was added, there was only 150g of it in it - hence the no power from A/C.
As for the louvers - service clerk said I will get a quote soon as "things" needs to be repaired.

I've done around 600km since with some SuC charging which kicked the A/C fan in. During it I opened the frunk and noticed a lot of hot air coming from under the apron - maybe also due to stuck louvers?

So my question is, would it be a good idea to remove the underhood aprons, all 3 of them, to free some more airflow, until my louvers gets fixed?

Hi, thanks for the update! Which aprons do you mean? I believe in this case, when AC is low on refrigerant or your have those THC_shutter errors, the louvers won't open as system can't use A/C to cool the battery. Therefore shutters remains closed and system can cool the battery only using the middle radiator, therefore tries to push as much air through it as possible. And yes, therefore you can feel a lot of hot air going out from the vents in front of the wheels. You might help it by cleaning the dust from the middle rad, but probably nothing else as you need to have protected the inside components from mud and rocks going out of the wheels..

I mean the plastic covers around the frunk...those were quite hot during a SuC session...

Underhood Apron - LH (Remove and Replace) (green color)

Somehow Tesla calls this underhood apron :)
Oh you mean those plastic covers! Ok, didn't notice them to be hot...not a bad idea to help the cooling.. Maybe you can take them out during SuC sessions, but probably it's not a good idea to keep it as a permanent setting as it maybe prevents water from getting somewhere inside, even though not sure ..

Reactions: LonelyMS
Just got mine replaced today. That remedied the loud knocking.

They did a thermal test which the Center and RH Active Louver failed and needed to be replaced.

Parts replaced:
ASY, ACTIVE LOUVRE RH (1007269-00-F) - $239
ASY, ACTIVE LOUVRE CTR (1007256-00-K) - $385

Total cost $1,136 - covered by ESA.
May I ask what ESA stands for?

May I ask what ESA stands for?

Reactions: ArtK
Thank you. I suspected that, but wanted to make certain 👍🏼

So, the verdict is in. Tesla sent me an estimate of repair at 1500 euros...wow:

Active louver assembly replacement
Active Louver - Front Fascia - LH (Remove & Replace)
Active Louver - Front Fascia - RH (Remove & Replace)

So all 3 to be replaced.only 2.5 hours of labour, the rest are parts. I dont quite understand why all these parts needs to be replaced?

1688493495950.png

I am now thinking of leaving as it is, what can go wrong if louvers arent working? its just the higher A/C consumption or something "bad" can happen?

The A/C seems to work fine. Its 2015 70D
If you know how small is the element that is used for heating/cooling exchange on the AC system then you better get the service done. It seems that all of the active cooling louvers are inoperable on your car and this will not be long shot to get some extra issues on that expensive car you just bought. Tesla have designed these louvers to actively support car’s heating/cooling systems so not wise to ignore the fix. You have to accept that any service on these car’s is expensive.

If you know how small is the element that is used for heating/cooling exchange on the AC system then you better get the service done. It seems that all of the active cooling louvers are inoperable on your car and this will not be long shot to get some extra issues on that expensive car you just bought. Tesla have designed these louvers to actively support car’s heating/cooling systems so not wise to ignore the fix. You have to accept that any service on these car’s is expensive.
Sure it should be fixed, I agree with this. But spending 1500Eur otherwise there's something else wrong sounds insane to me. So far as I know, some members from TMC just bought and replaced the whole louver assemblies for around 500-600USD and it also worked out..

Sure, I would try first this DIY approach, but according to OP the quote was for all three louvre assembly. By the report’s here in TMC the middle one is PItA to get to and only 2,5 hours labor quote is surprisingly low for the whole work. For the two side louvres the front bumper must come off. OP had it second hand so previous owner might had a second though also hence the repair need for all three at the same time.

Whats odd to me is the need to replace the harness, the horn, the key coil, the gaskets…why on earth is this needed when louvers fail?
Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. If they can reasonably explain it then why not.

@Kaijomos: yes, all 3 louvers are approx 600USD when purchased from Tesla. If you have also broken the mechanics of them, then it makes a sense to replace whole assembly. Airborne spoon mentioned the work on the side ones to be only maybe half a hour, the center is worse as you have to disconnect hose at least on one side of the radiator, so it takes maybe 1 hour according to his info.

Did just swapping of the actuators with NoShutterFdb fault for some from Ali solve the problem?? That would be important info! :D Thx!!
Have one of the louvers failed and I am doing the refresh bumper retrofit. Have bought from Aliexpress the louvers without motors before realizing one is failed. So have asked a seller if they only sell the actuators. In the end it came to 160 USD the 2 outer louvers with actuators.
IMG_5682.jpeg

Hello!
I have a new Model X LR 2023 - one week old.
I have this error on the SERVICE MENU.
Is there a way to look for the louvers without dismantling the car?
Tesla service has an opening on 19.09 :(

VCFRONT_a156_louverblockage

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 17.50.20.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 17.50.20.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 92
Have one of the louvers failed and I am doing the refresh bumper retrofit. Have bought from Aliexpress the louvers without motors before realizing one is failed. So have asked a seller if they only sell the actuators. In the end it came to 160 USD the 2 outer louvers with actuators.
Ok, now it's clear. So you have first bought only the mech part, then the actuators. Can you please quickly attach them to the harness and once again perform the test so you can find out whether it has any impact on the failure?

Reactions: richrootes