Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is a change at Tesla. The leadthrough for the spigot is longer in the newer version. This means that the pin cannot twist in its passage and travel further than intended.

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1299.png
    IMG_1299.png
    598.7 KB · Views: 60
No, you can’t access without taken off. If you are willing to cut a hole in the lower belly right under the louvre actuator you might get some access but is it worth? The bumper is very easy to take off, drivers side can be changed even with the harness unclipped.

So I am soon to receive the toolbox cable. Is the usage of the software pretty straight forward or I need to set some things up? As I will apply for 1h sub, I would hate to waste too much time for being an ignorant instead of going straight to the issue :)

edit: i plan to use the original toolbox3 subscription from tesla

So I finally tried the toolbox3 louve calibration, but it failed, without any other info :(

I did look at the louvers and they do move...but something else is wrong :(

I also ran the thermal system tests and it failed in 5/30:

Thermal Test Results
IONIZER: FAILURE
PTC_HEATER: FAILURE
SHUTTER_LEFT_CONDENSER: FAILURE
SHUTTER_RIGHT_CONDENSER: FAILURE
TEMPERATURE_SENSORS: FAILURE
AMB_TEMPERATURE_SENSOR:OK
AQS: OK
AUX_BLOWER: OK
AUX_EVAPORATOR: OK
AUX_TEMPERATURE_SENSORS: OK
BATTERY_HEATER: OK
BLOWER: OK
CAN_NETWORK: OK
CHILLER: OK
COOLANT_LEVEL:OK
EVAPORATOR:OK
FANS:OK
GENEALOGY:OK
HIGH_REFRIG_PRESSURE:OK
IN_CAR_TEMPERATURE_SENSOR:OK
PRESSURE_SENSORS:OK
PTCR_HEATER:OK
PUMPS:OK
RCCM_ACTUATORS:OK
SHUTTER_LEFT_RADIATOR:OK
SHUTTER_MAIN:OK
SHUTTER_RIGHT_RADIATOR:OK
SOLENOIDS:OK
THC:OK
VALVES:OK

Ionizer is not installed in my car so this is normal.

I guess its time to visit a proper service garage :(

@ResHacker you mentioned the "angle fix procedure" for the louvers? Where to find that in the toolbox3 as I did not find it anywhere :(
Hi, it was in offline TB 2.1 so is possible it's not there in TB3 anymore, but not sure about it.. Regarding the failed shutter tests, I think, that might be normal. As I have described earlier, it might be needed to let the system want to "touch" them to realize they're ok again. But that's probably not possible to achieve now as it's a proper winter in EU now...
But anyway, I'd suggest you to clean all the snow/ice from them, then hammer it on a highway to get the battery proper hot and then arrive with low SOC to a supercharger. Might be a chance they will open, I was lucky even in temps around 10°C. Then the fault should disappear.
Regarding PTC heater, does it work for you, is the cabin heating OK?

Yea, it blows hot air :)

I believe the first PCT test is for something else? There is another test for PTCR heater (R as resitance? which means just a regular coil), which says OK?

There is also an old TB2 to be downloaded but it says limited funcionallity, thou I had a hard time navigating it, could you write a short "how to calibrate the angle fix" on the TB2 ?

Yea, it blows hot air :)

I believe the first PCT test is for something else? There is another test for PTCR heater (R as resitance? which means just a regular coil), which says OK?

There is also an old TB2 to be downloaded but it says limited funcionallity, thou I had a hard time navigating it, could you write a short "how to calibrate the angle fix" on the TB2 ?
Ok, good to know the PTC is working for you now. PTC itself is also resistive element, so not sure, what "PTCR" stands for.

In TB2 it's very simple as it's in the same "thermal" menu just next to the calibration procedure, very easy to find.

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_124741_855.jpg
    IMG_20231204_124741_855.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: LonelyMS
My theory is the TB3 works with new version of louvers, thats why tesla service offered me to "upgrade" them...maybe the new version no longer work the same as the old ones and why the need for angle fix isnt needed?

I will see once I do the calibration via TB2, if it supports my theory or not :)

My theory is the TB3 works with new version of louvers, thats why tesla service offered me to "upgrade" them...maybe the new version no longer work the same as the old ones and why the need for angle fix isnt needed?

I will see once I do the calibration via TB2, if it supports my theory or not :)
Yeah, would be good to know, but to be honest, I have no idea...maybe some kind Tesla SC technician could give you a clue how does it work ;)

This was pretty easy, so I have the toolbox installed...before I connect it to my car, do you know if it works directly to the car or is some proxy needed or tesla sub?

PS, you probably dont know this, right, as you are using a factory access hack via that old firmware?

Will keep you posted.

This was pretty easy, so I have the toolbox installed...before I connect it to my car, do you know if it works directly to the car or is some proxy needed or tesla sub?

PS, you probably dont know this, right, as you are using a factory access hack via that old firmware?

Will keep you posted.
Ok, good to know, so the Toolbox I provided to you was possible to run following the instructions? I doubt my cracked Toolbox version would anyhow work with official Tesla servers :D This version is just meant for use together with factory mode and older firmware as you have mentioned ;)