Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have removed the plug on the driver side, same error on for the right side.
Have unplugged the passenger one, the left rad error came on.
Have swapped the driver one with another actuator and now both are erroring out. It feels the system is messing with me.
After a termal test the ambient temp shown in the dash was 20 degrees Celsius (real temp outside is 5…) and the following errors were on, see the difference between service menu and thermal test…
You have a Chiller and Evaporator error there too - I have attached my results from August

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpeg
    IMG_0543.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 18
The motors are not the problem. The error occurs when the motor is not connected OR, which is very likely, the path the motor has to travel is incorrect. The shutters with the number F at the end are all junk. There is too much play in the shaft feedthrough. This means that the motor continues to travel as it should.

The shutters reference themselves every time the vehicle is started, when the driver's door is opened, whenever the main contactor switches. At the time, I disconnected the battery and reconnected it again and again to speed up the opening and closing without having to wait for the contactor to drop out.

What I did with the outer shutters was that when they closed, I held the middle slat for 1 second before closing. The errors disappeared immediately. You can see this when the shutter opens 10 degrees again and closes again.

I have already repaired 12 shutters for other MS drivers here in Germany. The problem is the stop on the shaft. If you manage to get the slats to only open 90 degrees and not 110-120, the problem will be gone.

Last edited:
and another fyi, both of my "bumper" louvers do move, so its not a problem with the actuator or something else, the left just over-extends causing the car to throw the alarm code and not opening it.

and another fyi. There is a v2 version of them available from tesla, but for the upgrade they need to replace the harness, which also means replacing other parts, like horn :) making this a rougly 1500$ repair.

and another fyi, both of my "bumper" louvers do move, so its not a problem with the actuator or something else, the left just over-extends causing the car to throw the alarm code and not opening it.

and another fyi. There is a v2 version of them available from tesla, but for the upgrade they need to replace the harness, which also means replacing other parts, like horn :) making this a rougly 1500$ repair.
Hi, thanks a lot for such extensive info on this. As 1500$ is probably not worth the benefit I'd say most of us will stick just experimenting with TB2 or adding some mechanical "upgrades" which might avoid the error triggering. For me the TB2 procedures helped just to the condenser shutters, not the radiator ones even I can hear them to be moving properly too. So I'd say it's probably the over-extending case. Thanks once again and wish you luck with solving this, guys ;)

Do you have any details/ part code for this V2? Wonder if they are talking about the Center louver as that is where the horn is.

Not sure if I should pay another hour to clear the radiator ones. Both sides are doing a loud cracking noise at start, but I can clearly hear the actuator motors.
Cracking sounds from the radiator ones you mean? Maybe it's woth to try it out... Mine are working smoothly but throwing the errors... Not sure when I will focus on it as I have other more urgent tasks on the car and very little time... will inform then..

Reactions: LonelyMS