Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fear its the latest thats correct. but I've read on the forum there is need for toolbox sub, otherwise the port on the car is not communicating - unless the factory mode. Will ask in that thread if it will work on the newest FW, otherwise I have to downgrade i guess :/

I'll try to explain it. The engine opens the flaps as far as they will go. The stop is on the shaft that leads to the motor. When the motor now rotates the shaft and rotates to the stop, the shaft can move up and down in its passage. The wave has too much play in its execution. This allows the motor to rotate the shaft further than intended and the flaps open 110 degrees. The correct opening angle is 90 degrees. Either you eliminate the play in the shaft or you limit the end stop on the shaft. I achieved both with a small cable strap that I squeezed through the shaft's bushing.

I am still uncofortable to take off the whole bumper...

I've come accross this photo in some other thread

1703229926804.png

Would it be possible to access the louvers from this direction? To take off the fan? As the louvers dont need to be replaced as a whole only the wire tie put into the pin? maybe it can be done from the back?

I am still uncofortable to take off the whole bumper...

Just take out the bumper, it's super easy. You don't even need to take out the front wheels, so you already have wasted time on that. :)

Here's an excellent instruction:

Reactions: LonelyMS
Thanks I think i need to grow a pair and just do it :)

btw, what is this ankle catchers thingy, what is the purpose?

To catch ankles of pedestrians? 😀 Must be some weird Elon joke again. I googled and couldn't find "ankle catchers" in any other cars than Tesla, but every Tesla model seems to have that.

It's this "saw edged" reinforcement piece that shows on bottom:

1703233527951.png

Hmm, it's purpose is perhaps to prevent pedestrians from going under the car in collision. Not just ankles but the whole person. :)

I think it’s not another EM joke but it seems that only Tesla is calling that part with that name as it reminds boot shoes removing tool or boot jack/boot puller.
If you have access to four point lift then it might be doable without the removal of the bumper. But you anyhow need to remove that undershield fixing screws which is already one section to remove the bumper. As @Zuikkis have mentioned, you do not need to remove the wheels (on the guide it’s removed for clearer view). I did posted somewhere this easy quick guide but have no time to search, so here it is. That underhood apron that is in the 1st section is the panel that reveals the bolts in the section no.6
If you only need access to the louvers then you do not need to disconnect that harness as you can swing the bumper from left side towards right side of the car. Have some cardboard boxes or similar support items to set the bumper on. It can be attached back by one person but it’s way better to do with one extra pair of hands. Make sure that you do not damage these brittle two USS rubber boots/cover on each, just unhook them from the wheel liner.

BA9EE53A-FEFD-4FE1-9FD3-4A665F19A369.jpeg