Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sold their leases Model 3 to a dealer?

Rang1730

May 4, 2021
Denver
Hello,
I am currently leasing a 2019 Model 3. After doing some math, I have determined that I’m in a decent position to sell the car and purchase one instead, given the residual value and value of the car.

I know it says in Tesla’s leasing FAQ page that buyouts are not a thing unless a dealer is buying the car.

So my question is…has anyone sold their leased Model 3 to a dealership successfully?

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
I realize used car values are high right now due to chip shortage and some other factors but I'm surprised your "math" shows that it is still worthwhile to try to sell at this point. There will be dealers willing to buy but between remaining payments, residual, sales tax, etc. I would think you'd take a notable loss.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC