Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone unexpectedly lost power to powerwalls + backup gateway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My powerwalls have been down since 3/2. Tesla was supposed to get back to me after the initial report, but never did (surprise, surprise!). I called in again today and went through power-cycling everything (powerwalls, powerwall breaks, main breaker), but I still have no power to the backup gateway or the powerwalls. I checked all the breakers.

Tesla now says Tier 2 needs 3-5 days to review and then they can actually schedule a visit. So they might not be out here for 2 weeks, and every day I'm losing money.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there something else I should check while I wait?

Do you have solar too or just Powerwalls?

You mentioned checking the breakers, but is it possible someone pulled the electrical shutoff safety switch?
1615497434581.png

Do you have solar too or just Powerwalls?

You mentioned checking the breakers, but is it possible someone pulled the electrical shutoff safety switch?
View attachment 643633
Yes, Solar too. The solar appears to be working.

I checked the emergency shutoff switch - it's still set to 'on'.

There's no light in the gateway and the reset button does nothing. All the breakers are on, though.

So if I'm understanding this right, your solar is working fine; your home loads are working fine...

But when you use your Tesla App, you see nothing. And that long-green light on the side of your Powerwalls is not illuminated?

Have you tried to see if you see the Gateway's wifi network (TEG-XXX)?

So if I'm understanding this right, your solar is working fine; your home loads are working fine...

But when you use your Tesla App, you see nothing. And that long-green light on the side of your Powerwalls is not illuminated?

Have you tried to see if you see the Gateway's wifi network (TEG-XXX)?
Correct. I was troubleshooting an issue with SolarEdge data prior to this, and I unplugged the zigbee for a couple days. That thing has been showing "no signal" for weeks, but that should have no impact on the gateway or powerwalls as far as I can tell. Tesla app has not been able to show anything since 3/2.

The TEG network does not show up in a WiFi scan standing right next to the backup gateway - unsurprisingly, since the gateway appears to have no power.

My powerwalls have been down since 3/2. Tesla was supposed to get back to me after the initial report, but never did (surprise, surprise!). I called in again today and went through power-cycling everything (powerwalls, powerwall breaks, main breaker), but I still have no power to the backup gateway or the powerwalls. I checked all the breakers.

Tesla now says Tier 2 needs 3-5 days to review and then they can actually schedule a visit. So they might not be out here for 2 weeks, and every day I'm losing money.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there something else I should check while I wait?

How far away are the Powerwalls to the Gateway?

It sounds like there might be a power supply or communication issue with the Powerwall to GW wired connection.

Alternatively a CT may have failed and throwing errors to the GW, which goes into safety mode

How far away are the Powerwalls to the Gateway?

It sounds like there might be a power supply or communication issue with the Powerwall to GW wired connection.

Alternatively a CT may have failed and throwing errors to the GW, which goes into safety mode
It's right next to the PWs. They've been working fine for months.

It does seem like some type of hardware failure with the gateway.

Got someone to come out at last...my "backup gateway hardware failure" guess was accurate: Backup Gateway needs to be replaced.

One more month (or less...).
Hi, we have had this same issue. Powerwalls without lights and gateway WiFi not broadcasting. We had no power from GRID or solar but after hours on a tech call with Tesla, they directed checking under the "Do not touch" except if directed by Tesla sticker as to the setting of the GRID/OFF GRID toggle switch and ours was mid-way between so once it was set back to GRID, we got grid power back but no TEG-XXX Wifi so no powerwalls etc. Looks like the BGateway (one) is defective in some way but level two support may take 20 to 25 days before they will schedule a tech service visit!!! That is unacceptable but the gateway is at least allowing us grid power...looks like the WiFi and network board is dead because we have tried reseting and full power off and on several times but no luck. IMHO, Tesla needs to replace the 3G cellular modules to 5g (and backwards compatible) so the gateways are not dependent on the (evidently cheap-o) Wifi boards that are failing in so many gateways.