Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has buying a Tesla changed your mind about Climate Change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand this thread. I assume the vast majority of Tesla people are believers in climate change. Do you think owning a Tesla makes you less likely to believe in climate change? As for me, it has no effect on my thinking. It's just a car.

I don't understand this thread. I assume the vast majority of Tesla people are believers in climate change. Do you think owning a Tesla makes you less likely to believe in climate change? As for me, it has no effect on my thinking. It's just a car.

Buying a Tesla makes you realize that burning gas isn't the pinnacle of technology. Once you realize that burning gas is terribly inefficient, then it's not much of a leap to be open to solar/batteries and an array of sustainable technology that's simply better than the stone age solutions offered by the carbon lobby.

The OP's premise was that people who didn't pay attention to or care about climate change were buying Teslas and might then be drawn to more careful analysis and/or greater concern about climate change.

I think it's probably true for a segment of the population, but I think there's a larger group that got their Tesla because they were concerned - and as this thread shows, there's a significant fraction that bought the Tesla for other reasons and still aren't that concerned/interested.

The genius of Tesla's approach (making EVs more interesting/appealing than ICE cars) is that those people are now driving sustainable cars, whatever their thoughts on the matter. "The stone age didn't end due to a shortage of stones." :)

As a veteran of controversies on the Internet, I have never found an adequate way to respond to someone who takes the position that a scientific consensus is really a conspiracy. I don't mean that as a put down, because this happens all the time. Belief in conspiracy theories is really a mind set, and probably one strengthened by neurophysiology (see Michael Shermer's "The Believing Brain"). And once humans get an opinion, confirmation bias sets in to make them tend to believe evidence that agrees with them, and to discount evidence against. Everybody does this. The result, however, is that opinions are hard to change, particularly after people invest a lot arguing for a particular position.

I can see how the original poster went wrong, and the fallacies in his statement, but he's not going to and I know from experience that nothing I could say will make any difference. I suppose I COULD talk about my trip to the Andes and the retreating glaciers. Probably the best example I could give is the controversy over the question of whether smoking causes lung cancer. Nobody would doubt that now, but back in the day people bucked the scientific consensus with great confidence.

Human beings are full of biases and errors in judgment--that's why there is so much variation in beliefs about things that should be easy to decide. Climate change is one of those things that should be settled, but never will be.

Enjoy your Tesla.