Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla ever had Unlimited Mile Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm talking about the bumper-to-bumper warranty, of course.
For example, when buying my 2014 Model S, I was under the distinct impression that I had a 4 year/unlimited mile bumper-to-bumper, and 8 year/unlimited mile drivetrain warranty. I remember that being one of the pride points when promoting my car to acquaintances.
That is not the case today, and the fact that the warranty is not a part of the document set in your Tesla account, but rather a shared document makes it impossible to verify if my warranty was ever different.
So, was an unlimited bumper-to-bumper ever a thing, or am I confused (misinformed by the salespeople of 2014)?

...4 year/unlimited mile bumper-to-bumper, and 8 year/unlimited mile drivetrain warranty...

There has never been a Tesla 4 year/unlimited mile warranty.

There has been an 8 year/unlimited mile warranty but it was NOT for drive unit at first. It was ONLY for battery pack. Then, the press started to make headlines that drive unit design was a defect so Tesla amended it and included drive unit as well.

Reactions: mknox
Well, fudge.
I too used the warranty feature as selling point, when I first started my bragging trail "))
Warranty:
4 year, 50,000 mile (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty
( 9/8/2019 )
8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty
( 9/8/2023 )
-for 85 kWh battery equipped Model S-
==============================================
Reality Check:
4-YEAR SERVICE PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSION

Tesla Service for eight years
Up to 100,000 miles

EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT:
$4,000.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Effective Date”, means the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.
( 9/8/2019, my dates )

Tesla’s extended service program covers the repair or replacement of Model S parts
due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla.
(now comes with a co-pay)

Coverage lasts for four years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first)
and begins on the date your warranty expires,
As long as you purchase this service within 30 days of your warranty’s expiration.
( 9/8/2023, my dates)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That and the fact my car had AEB, Collision Avoidance, 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty,
Free long distance travel using Tesla’s Supercharger network ( which I paid $2,000.00 for)
and a 7 year limit for the internet / Slacker subscriptions.
(No one has ever reported being bumped off yet)

So, for me there was a slight adjustment to my selling spiel, but there never was any sour grapes.
I'd buy it all over again, just to keep Grinn'

Reality Check:
4-YEAR SERVICE PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSION

Tesla Service for eight years
Up to 100,000 miles

EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT:
$4,000.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service plan and warranties are completely separate things. Warranty covers things that have broken, service plan is to prevent things from breaking and to replace wear items. You don't need the service plan, you can pay ala carte, or skip it entirely. The only way it would effect your warranty (the original warranty, not the extended warranty) is if Tesla can show that your lack of service directly caused a failure.

Service plan and warranties are completely separate things. Warranty covers things that have broken, service plan is to prevent things from breaking and to replace wear items. You don't need the service plan, you can pay ala carte, or skip it entirely. The only way it would effect your warranty (the original warranty, not the extended warranty) is if Tesla can show that your lack of service directly caused a failure.

Sorry, I failed to mention there was a $200.00, price change from when I bought the car to when I purchased the extended warranty and as such, I was a bit put out :)
As I still mentioned, I would and WILL, purchase again.
I was a early adopter because of how Tesla was able to bring to market an electric vehicle that worked!,
the coach works, is and will always be a work in progress.