Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Today's FSD met your expectations for level 2?

Are you satisfied FSD has met your expectations for level 2?

• Yes - Current number of driver interventions are acceptable

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • No - There's too many driver interventions

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kabin

Nov 23, 2021
Here
One could anticipate a year-end PR blitz with Elon declaring Level 2 has been met given the driver is responsible to monitor and take over.

Aside from the amount paid and anyone knowing level 2 standard specifics, it would be interesting to know how many TMC FSD owners would be satisfied if Elon declared today's FSD pseudo 'wide-release' met level 2.

We'll close this poll down in a week since V11 could be released in a week or so as well as finally be a breakthrough.

One could anticipate a year-end PR blitz with Elon declaring Level 2 has been met given the driver is responsible to monitor and take over.

Aside from the amount paid and anyone knowing level 2 standard specifics, it would be interesting to know how many TMC FSD owners would be satisfied if Elon declared today's FSD pseudo 'wide-release' met level 2.
That would be interesting considering:

"Elon Musk says Tesla's Full Self-Driving tech will have Level 5 autonomy by the end of 2021"​

Funny (or not really) but 69.2.4 was a fantastic L2 for me. However I'm far less impressed with 69.3.1. It almost seems I got v3 (over 1½ years ago) by mistake. 🙃 🙃 🙃 I'll still vote yes since it is sooooo much frustratingly fun, entertaining and utterly mind blowing at what it can do.

The question is somewhat vague because level 2 in inherently vague. But my expectation for a driver assist feature at any level is this: "does it (at minimum) perform as good as I do at my best". This is why the park feature for perpendicular parking is not acceptable. Because I can do it so much faster. But the park feature for parallel parking is acceptable. Because I'm not as good at that as the car is.
With that standard in mind FSD is a failure. On city streets it literally does nothing as good as I can and is significantly stressful to use. Just not sure what the point of car features are except to make your drive safer, easier and more pleasant. FSD does none of those things.

But my expectation for a driver assist feature at any level is this: "does it (at minimum) perform as good as I do at my best".... On city streets it literally does nothing as good as I can and is significantly stressful to use
Good way of putting it. In agreement here. FSDb is like 8 times slower(and jerky) on nearly any turn than myself in control. In addition to that, the absolutely retarded lane selection choices it makes relegates FSDb in my use to basically just 2 lane highway straightaways. Those 2 issues are irritating enough that on approaching a stop light or stop sign, I usually disengage and just do it myself. I drive the same ~110mi round trip commute everyday and know where it excels and where it is too irritating to use. When out about on irregular errands, I'll sometimes let it run for fun

Reactions: Chisale
The question is somewhat vague because level 2 in inherently vague. But my expectation for a driver assist feature at any level is this: "does it (at minimum) perform as good as I do at my best". This is why the park feature for perpendicular parking is not acceptable. Because I can do it so much faster. But the park feature for parallel parking is acceptable. Because I'm not as good at that as the car is.
With that standard in mind FSD is a failure. On city streets it literally does nothing as good as I can and is significantly stressful to use. Just not sure what the point of car features are except to make your drive safer, easier and more pleasant. FSD does none of those things.

That's probably true. It's a tough thing to narrow down but level 2 expectations might be for FSD to drive better than the average driver. Leaving the driver to intervene for uncommon roadways, weather, unusual traffic conditions, software bugs, ....?

A difference between “can do it” and “can do it WELL”

Yes, there should be an expectation of mastery of many driving skills like smooth steering, smooth braking/acceleration, typical reaction times, correct lane selection, safe traffic merging, not upsetting fellow roadway warriors, etc..

And I should add - for me that's the difference between back-yard garage shop novelty and mastery from a multibillion dollar company that's been there before.

Last edited:
The question is vague because everyone has different expectations. My expectations are based on the FSD Beta experiences that people have shared, so I wasn't expecting FSD Beta to be flawless when I started using it recently. In some ways it performs better than I expected, but I have to intervene in some way almost every time I use it, even if that's just goosing the throttle to encourage the car to move faster through an intersection or turn.

Reactions: kabin