Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have a nail in my tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a nail in my tire. A few weeks ago, the TPMS card indicated that my left rear tire was low, 36psi. I pumped it up with my compressor to 42psi, and it's been fine ever since. Today I notice a nail, there was not warning on the TPMS card or anything, still shows the tire at 41/42psi. Tesla roadside services will be coming out to repair or replace. They told me that it's $50 to patch or $392 to replace. The car has 3k miles on it. No warranty on the tires? Do I have any options?

I have been buying tires from America's Tire for years. And they have always been good about fixing flats, rotating / re-balancing tires on any of my cars at no cost, whether I bought the tires from them or not. They did this for me on my Focus Electric on the OEM tires (rotation every 7500 miles, two re-balances, one nail fix). They figure when it comes time to replace the tires, they'll get the business. And their prices on replacement tires are as good or better than anybody else, even Tire Rack and Costco. Plus they take appointments. In and out in 45 minutes or less, every time.

If it's not leaking the nail might not have ever punched through.

I'd pull it out (be prepared to remove wheel and bring to a shop) or pull the nail out at the shop.
It probably did punch through, but sometimes you get lucky.

America's tire asked whether i had the continentals on the M3, I told them it was, and they said that they wouldn't attempt to repair it. That particular tire has given them problems in the past. Something to do with the noise reducing foam inside the tire. They said a new tile would cost about $300 and the certs would be about $40 each.

Tesla came out to patch it, charged $40. It was a long nail that went right though, but at a weird angle. Now I'll ask whether I can buy the certs on a tire that has been patched.

Had a nail in my Continental. They tried to just cut out the foam and insert their high tech blob seal. It would not stick to the pealed off foam so they needed to use a metal burr to grind down to the tire rubber. That did the trick and it has been holding air since.

I also noticed they drilled out the puncture hole so they would have a calibrated hole to fix. Seemed very professional to me. Charged $38. Was happy to pay it as they were close and open late on a Sunday afternoon.

Had a nail in my Continental. They tried to just cut out the foam and insert their high tech blob seal. It would not stick to the pealed off foam so they needed to use a metal burr to grind down to the tire rubber. That did the trick and it has been holding air since.

I also noticed they drilled out the puncture hole so they would have a calibrated hole to fix. Seemed very professional to me. Charged $38. Was happy to pay it as they were close and open late on a Sunday afternoon.

They should have drilled (deburred) the hole and grind down to the rubber regardless. If the person just scraped the foam away and tried to put in the plug they were cutting corners to begin with.