Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I locked in a price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People should note that Farley gave no time table for Ford Blue to go live. Pretty sure we'll be living witgh market adjustments for a few years.

I'm not concerned with an increase in CT pricing. Just really curious what Elon meant by insane technical bandwagon. It'll be hard to compare the original pricing with a truck filled with crazy new features never mentioned before. The new stuff has value and is not free just because you ordered early. The fact they might not make the one I ordered means nothing except that I still have a place ahead of new orders.

I'm ok with that.

Market Adjustments will come down quickly.

There is a point wheee the general population can’t afford to spend X amount of dollars especially in this financial climate.

There are so many used Teslas for sale , it seems to me like the “Demand” is manufactured. There are scalpers buying and reselling, dealers who don’t have inventory are buying them up not knowing that smart Tesla buyers are just going to order and wait.

The Lightning doesn’t have the demand Teslas have, while it is “sold out” we don’t know how many will actually be purchased vs just sitting on the lot. This will force the dealers/ manufacturers to bring on the incentives.

It is great that he wants that, but he really has no power to make it happen.
The power comes from the people. Dealers are going away, whether they like it or not. The dealers pissed in their own boot by gouging customers. The action has already begun by Ford splitting into four separate product lines. The Board and stockholders will easily be swayed by the profit and the numbers .

The dealers will scream and kick and yell, but who cares? Tell me anyone who loves a car dealer buying experience. Brutal best describes it for dealerships. Hey, dealerships don't even have a clue how to service EVs. Hyundai is still sending out oil change reminders to their new EV customers.

When complete, GIGA Texas alone will produce more vehicles than GM and FORD combined. They can change or they can die and let the business go to Tesla. Netflix changed, and Blockbuster died. Go FARLEY!!

After seeing all these increases from the 2022 to 2023 for the Lightning, I highly doubt the CT will start at $40k.

Even the R1T base is now at $73k.

Add to that all the increases for the Model 3 and Y, it most likely will start at $60k, Oof.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
After seeing all these increases from the 2022 to 2023 for the Lightning, I highly doubt the CT will start at $40k.

Even the R1T base is now at $73k.

Add to that all the increases for the Model 3 and Y, it most likely will start at $60k, Oof.
I guess it depends on the primary objective of Tesla. How catastrophic to the rest of the industry would it be it tesla put out a MUCH cheaper truck that out performed the competition. Something like that would sky rocket TSLA which is really all elon and shareholders care about. Remember Elon is all about the dramatic. 40k.......Elon never had any intention of producing that truck, but what did it do? It created 2 million pre paid reservations that took stock to $1200. A 100k truck doesn't turn heads.......but 69k, 79k.........yup, will cause huge industry waves and panic throughout the big manufacturers. Can tesla produce that truck for 69k? and still make money.....yes, all day long. Just depends if they want to eat some short term profit for long term dominance

I guess it depends on the primary objective of Tesla. How catastrophic to the rest of the industry would it be it tesla put out a MUCH cheaper truck that out performed the competition. Something like that would sky rocket TSLA which is really all elon and shareholders care about. Remember Elon is all about the dramatic. 40k.......Elon never had any intention of producing that truck, but what did it do? It created 2 million pre paid reservations that took stock to $1200. A 100k truck doesn't turn heads.......but 69k, 79k.........yup, will cause huge industry waves and panic throughout the big manufacturers. Can tesla produce that truck for 69k? and still make money.....yes, all day long. Just depends if they want to eat some short term profit for long term dominance

Out of those 2 million maybe 500k are serious? The rest did it for the likes or ordered a bunch just to put out a You Tube video.

And no…. It wouldn’t be “catastrophic” just like the 3 and Y has not done anything “catastrophic” to the industry

Out of those 2 million maybe 500k are serious? The rest did it for the likes or ordered a bunch just to put out a You Tube video.

And no…. It wouldn’t be “catastrophic” just like the 3 and Y has not done anything “catastrophic” to the industry
you don't think it would be catastrophic to ford if tesla put out a superior performing truck for 69K....or less. You really think ford F150 would still be the #1 selling truck in north america........the bread and butter of ford . Tesla already scared the industry so much the first go around with model 3, Y etc... that certain manufacturers partnered with each other to try and come up with a defense.

and there's likely not even 500k serious......probably more like 200k and if the price is anywhere near what people predict then way under 100k will even entertain the idea. I have 2 CT orders and anything over 79k for the top model would be an auto cancel. Doesn't sound like a lot but being from Canada that well over 110K in CAD. It's not desirable at that price, people will just stick with gas

and there's likely not even 500k serious......probably more like 200k and if the price is anywhere near what people predict then way under 100k will even entertain the idea. I have 2 CT orders and anything over 79k for the top model would be an auto cancel. Doesn't sound like a lot but being from Canada that well over 110K in CAD. It's not desirable at that price, people will just stick with gas
Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you but we are not in a normal circumstance. Used Teslas are selling for more than new. When people see they can flip the Cybertruck for more than they pay, especially if they have FSD locked in, they will keep their orders. The lunatics who reserved 10 are going to prove to be geniuses.

With thousands upon thousans of genuine orders, the Texas Gigafactory will be busy for years producing the CT. And each one that hits the street will generate more orders. Elon may not care about stock price, but check his comments about profit, which are closely related. "Factories are burning through cash."

The bean counters at Tesla will ultimately set the price. I would estimate we might see 50k, 60k and 80k to stay within the tax credit limits. If the quad goes over 80k, then the middle configuration will be the best value and I will adjust my order accordingly.

There's a good possibility that they could release only the quad for 90k or even 100k for the first year to milk out as much profit as possible, and then began to make the other models. I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but that seems to be their M.O.
Look how quick you can get a PLAID or Performance vehicle now, in comparison to other models.

Tesla has pretty much met its goal of getting other automotive companies to make EVs. Think of this. Without Elon, would we see any major companies making EVs?

Tesla is a business and business is about profit and dominance. Hyundai and Ford will start to put a dent soon. They get it.
Farley switching to the factory sale model for EVs. is such forward thinking.
Dealers are so dumb they are still sending out oil change notices to EV customers.

Mercedes, Lucid and even BMW are niche. GM and Toyota are so far behind, they are still looking for a place to charge.

Only time will tell, and until such time, we can only speculate. Having reserved a CT six days after announcement, I am 90k ish in the order list. Realistically, I don't anticipate having my hands on a CT until 2025.

Last edited:
If they ship the tri-motor with near the original spec and pricing I will convert my reservation to a truck.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you but we are not in a normal circumstance. Used Teslas are selling for more than new. When people see they can flip the Cybertruck for more than they pay, especially if they have FSD locked in, they will keep their orders. The lunatics who reserved 10 are going to prove to be geniuses.
I agree with you there. you can't get anything decent under 80k CAD and no stock anyway. A major factor for most is whatever they can get first

With people buying LIghtnings and R1Ts over $100k on the secondary market... why wouldn't Elon price these higher, especially because they won't be able satisfy demand anyways so make us much as they can on the initial limited production runs.

I don't even think the tax cred limits matter to Elon because demand is high for Tesla products right now without them, And at $80k, you're probably already over the new $150k/$300k income limit anyways.

Personally, I don't want to see them priced higher... but realistically... they will be.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
you don't think it would be catastrophic to ford if tesla put out a superior performing truck for 69K....or less. You really think ford F150 would still be the #1 selling truck in north america........the bread and butter of ford . Tesla already scared the industry so much the first go around with model 3, Y etc... that certain manufacturers partnered with each other to try and come up with a defense.

There have been better ICE Trucks over the years that have come out and the F-150 continues chucking along. What defense? It’s like saying BMW scared everyone into going 4 cyl. There are plenty of people still buying ICE over EVs. The chances are that The Cybertruck will probably be better than the F-150 at everything and guess what…… the F-150 will still sell like hot cakes

There have been better ICE Trucks over the years that have come out and the F-150 continues chucking along. What defense? It’s like saying BMW scared everyone into going 4 cyl. There are plenty of people still buying ICE over EVs. The chances are that The Cybertruck will probably be better than the F-150 at everything and guess what…… the F-150 will still sell like hot cakes
one factor might be demographic, geographic. I live in the highest per capita EV area in north america so electric is king here. There are however other provinces and states that will generally go gas no matter what and those that are die hard ford for life.....I don't get it but whatever. It is clear though that all manufacturers will be selling as many EVs as they can make for a long time still

Wishful thinking does not = reality.
The odds of them putting out a truck that is "catastrophically" lower than the competition is pretty much nil. The F-150 lightning already starts at 40k.

Take the "meh, most pickup owners are just suburban commuters" quip at face value: here in southern USA, 1/3rd of all vehicles on road are pickups (and honorable mention to the substantial fraction of Teslas). That's a LOT of commuters who want a cost-efficient runabout with occasional large/dirty cargo capacity and stand-out looks. A cheap CT would serve them just fine, with massive sales numbers and no visible difference between 1- vs 4-motor versions.

Reactions: Fairchild