Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you noticed any weird resonance / buffeting / drumming over rough roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, in EVERY Model S I have ever driven (2012-2018) I notice this sort of low frequency rumble / resonance / drumming over roads that are less than smooth (search for threads here on pressure buffeting, etc.). It's a bit like being in a large bass drum with each suspension "hit" translating to a pressure beat. It is less noticeable in later cars, but I could even detect it in the new 2018 100D we had as a loaner for a week. Washboard surfaces in particular manifest it as there is nor recovery time between suspension hits - and I happen to have a bunch of roads around my house with that surface so it is easier for me to detect than most (plus I'm just sensitive to it). The large hatch on the Model S can further magnify this sensation (which is why there was always a lot of focus on the hatch adjusters) as it bounces every so slightly up and down.

ANYWAY, since test drives for the Model 3 are nowhere on the horizon, can any existing Model 3 owners comment on whether or not you have experienced this (or not) in your Model 3? I am hopeful that even if it does manifest, it is less noticeable due to the lack of a large movable hatch.

Thanks!

Yes, I've actually noticed it (at little) on my wife's model S and to a much greater extent on my model X.

This morning I checked the position of those rubber feet that hold the door securely. I was surprised to find that three out of the four on my wife's Model S were not even coming in contact at all. Only the fourth stopper was doing anything on her car...

By the way, to see if the rubber stoppers are adjusted correctly, put a piece of paper in the area of the rubber stopper, so that the paper would be pinched between the rubber stopper parts, and close the hood. If you can remove the paper, then they're not adjusted properly... I just adjusted the three on my wife's car, but I won't be able to test that until this weekend because she only lets me drive on Saturdays.

On my Model X, one out of the four stoppers was not adjusted correctly and so I adjusted it and did a minor tweak on another. I think it made some kind of improvement, but the resonance is still present. It may be the window itself which is resonating, but I will need to investigate that further... One of the things my company does is "control resonances", and so I am hoping I'll be able to figure this out...

Bill

Not sure if I'm just not sensitive to it or if it's not there. I'm guessing that with your background, you're probably a lot more sensitive to it than I am.

I drove about 100 miles today in all sorts of speeds and road conditions (all in good weather) and I didn't notice anything. I obviously hear the bumps but they don't sound any different from any other car. And the tires are kind of loud on certain pavements, especially on the highway. But, again, not out of the ordinary from most other cars. The only thing that I've experienced that I would call a resonance is if one of the back windows is the only one open, there's a pulsing/buffeting at higher speeds. I've had many different cars that have done that.

My daily driver has been a Jeep Wrangler with big tires and a soft top for a few years so my senses might be a bit dulled for this kind of thing. But my wife's car is an Infiniti G37 so I am at least somewhat used to a sporty/luxuryish car like this.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. I know there are a lot of posts on this with regard to the S, but they are rare with the X. Since the 3 is my next candidate purchase, it is the one I'm most interested in. I look forward to more reports (or lack thereof)!