Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you switched to British English?

Have you switched to British English?

• Yes, really happy it’s an option

Votes: 83 71.6%
  • I will once I get the update

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • No, I like the American terms now

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • No, but I really don’t care about this at all

Votes: 18 15.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this why my sat nav is calling out distances to turns in yards?

Weird hearing that again somehow, although being 56 I am cross metric really. Inches, feet, centimetres, meters. Height is normally on feet and inches but for me distances may still be miles but somehow I’ve got used to metres for sub 1km values. Must of been a nightmare trying to get that pitched correctly for all people, of all ages.

Nah it's always done that.. Tesla doesn't have a setting for our 'long distances in imperial, short distances in metric', it's one or the other.

As far as I'm aware the sat nav gave distances in feet rather than yards. If it is now using yards then I think that's a change (for the better). Yards and metres can effectively be regarded as the same when estimating short distances so that would be a positive change if we've moved away from feet.

As far as I'm aware the sat nav gave distances in feet rather than yards. If it is now using yards then I think that's a change (for the better). Yards and metres can effectively be regarded as the same when estimating short distances so that would be a positive change if we've moved away from feet.
Wait I may have misspoke. I was sure I got a yards notice last night but today it’s definitely all in feet. Must have been mistaken.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Can i moan?

Why ohhh why is it called "British English"?

Its just plain and simple........ "English" - its origins are from England for crying out load.

The options should be:

English
Scottish English
Irish English
Welsh English
Cornish English
American English
Any other English

Ps who speaks American Scottish, American Irish or American Welsh anyone?

Dictionary "English":

adjective
1. relating to England or its people or language.

noun
1.1 the language of England, widely used in many varieties throughout the world.
1.2 the people of England.
Don’t forget Texan English😀

Absolutely correct: the average American has a far better command of the English language than the average Brit, and much better diction.

I'm not sure about that, Americans are as just as capable of incoherence as the English. I would forward the hypothesis that the average Dane has a much better command of English than either of them.

I spoke with a Dutch guy once - at least he said he was Dutch. Personally I wasn't convinced as his English was so freaking good

As a generalisation, the Dutch are very good at languages. Like one of them told me once "we have to learn English, because who the hell is going to learn Dutch?"

Reactions: Beady3647