Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you switched to British English?

Have you switched to British English?

• Yes, really happy it’s an option

Votes: 83 71.6%
  • I will once I get the update

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • No, I like the American terms now

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • No, but I really don’t care about this at all

Votes: 18 15.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Yank living in England - I'm not sure the superiority exhibited here is so appropriate. I've never had to live with as many "should of" instead of "should have", "their" vs "there" and other similar grammatical issues as I have had to here...:)

Also, keep in mind iOS' Siri works better with a US English set-up as there is a much larger user base that is used to tweak it.
On the other hand your post has been up for more than 40 minutes and no one has told you "The United Kingdom rules, if you don't like it here why don't you 'push' off back where you came from" so its not all bad here :)

As a Yank living in England - I'm not sure the superiority exhibited here is so appropriate. I've never had to live with as many "should of" instead of "should have", "their" vs "there" and other similar grammatical issues as I have had to here...

Indeed. The issue we have is that there is no longer much shared notion of standard English in the UK. Years ago people who worked in broadcasting used to speak standard "BBC English" with accurate grammar and clear diction. It was needed in those days because people from one part of the country were less familiar with the strong accents and dialects from other areas. People didn't travel around as much and didn't hear many accents other than from their own area. Even at home many people commonly used a "telephone voice", which was a posher version of their own accent, when answering the phone. There was no point someone from Newcastle or Cardiff reading the national news in their local accent because half the population would have struggled to understand! Nowadays we have many more opportunities to hear other accents and unless faced with someone who uses unusual local dialect words we quickly dial in to their manner of speech. Though modern national broadcasters speak clearly they are now much more likely to have some degree of accent related to a particular area of the country. I love to hear different accents generally but I still feel uncomfortable with some word usage (but maybe that's my problem because the word usage may well be "correct" for the area). If I ask "where's Jimmy today?" I just can't help cringing when the reply is "he's went down to the shops"! However, on balance, I prefer the added colour that we have in the modern language mix.

Oh, and the on-topic bit: I did switch to British English but I didn't have a problem with how it was. As someone else said, it's an American car after all.

Indeed. The issue we have is that there is no longer much shared notion of standard English in the UK. Years ago people who worked in broadcasting used to speak standard "BBC English" with accurate grammar and clear diction. It was needed in those days because people from one part of the country were less familiar with the strong accents and dialects from other areas. People didn't travel around as much and didn't hear many accents other than from their own area. Even at home many people commonly used a "telephone voice", which was a posher version of their own accent, when answering the phone. There was no point someone from Newcastle or Cardiff reading the national news in their local accent because half the population would have struggled to understand! Nowadays we have many more opportunities to hear other accents and unless faced with someone who uses unusual local dialect words we quickly dial in to their manner of speech. Though modern national broadcasters speak clearly they are now much more likely to have some degree of accent related to a particular area of the country. I love to hear different accents generally but I still feel uncomfortable with some word usage (but maybe that's my problem because the word usage may well be "correct" for the area). If I ask "where's Jimmy today?" I just can't help cringing when the reply is "he's went down to the shops"! However, on balance, I prefer the added colour that we have in the modern language mix.

Oh, and the on-topic bit: I did switch to British English but I didn't have a problem with how it was. As someone else said, it's an American car after all.
Was it George Bernard Shaw who described Britain and America as '2 Countries separated by the same Language' how right he was.

True! But I don't want American films dubbed into "British English" either!
That would be bad.

Except maybe the word "herb".
Also to correct any inappropriate use of "sandwich".
(That's the only two things I can't get used to.)

In reverse: I had a Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing where the translation to British English was obviously a basic find-replace job.
In an early exercise it had the user type "autumn".

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
If we are running with your slightly strange analogy then my question would have to be not even if they are set in The UK?
Have you ever seen Mary Poppins? or Dolittle (2020)
Analogy was somewhat tongue in cheek ... just for the smiles ;) (and I thought all chimney sweeps spoke like that!) In terms of the car I don't really care a jot ... but if there's familiar terminology available on screen then I'll use it.

Reactions: Yachtsman and init6
Analogy was somewhat tongue in cheek ... just for the smiles ;) (and I thought all chimney sweeps spoke like that!) In terms of the car I don't really care a jot ... but if there's familiar terminology available on screen then I'll use it.
And I only just found out that 13th Century Scottish rebels didn't wear kilts. paint their faces blue or talk in an Australian Accent. The power of Hollywood.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr Miserable