Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have your say: The consumer experience at public chargepoints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think as many as possible should comment on this consultation through the provided link and mention that the government should try to cap the prices of these charge-points. The crazy pricing of 69p/ kWh and even shell recharge at 38p/ kWh will just delay there uptake of fully electrical cars as the cost either of the same or exceeds what is paid for ICE cars. If they would make sure that operators cannot charge more than a certain percentage over the electricity rate, these crazy prices would disappear and more people would buy electrical vehicles...

Reactions: 26ct2143
I think as many as possible should comment on this consultation through the provided link and mention that the government should try to cap the prices of these charge-points. The crazy pricing of 69p/ kWh and even shell recharge at 38p/ kWh will just delay there uptake of fully electrical cars as the cost either of the same or exceeds what is paid for ICE cars. If they would make sure that operators cannot charge more than a certain percentage over the electricity rate, these crazy prices would disappear and more people would buy electrical vehicles...

Careful what you wish for - Gov being Gov will just make the domestic rate 69p....

I guess you’re referring to Ionity chargers, but if you’re part of the club you get a much better rate per kWh.

I’m not completely against this as it potentially allows Superchargers to be available to other brands at a rate that discourages widespread use, but brings in some revenue to help fund further expansion of the network.

I guess you’re referring to Ionity chargers, but if you’re part of the club you get a much better rate per kWh.

I’m not completely against this as it potentially allows Superchargers to be available to other brands at a rate that discourages widespread use, but brings in some revenue to help fund further expansion of the network.
That's OK but if 70p/kwh became widespread, then long journeys would make people (like me) use the diesel.
If I've spent a fortune on an EV, then frankly I want cheap(er) fuel costs. Sorry, I know that's not a given, but there has to be some benefit.
To tempt people from what they've always done (drive ICE cars) then there has to be some costs benefit somewhere.
Currently it's alot more convenient to fill up an ICE car when you drive a long way, if you then tell people it'll cost the same on electric as diesel, don't think you'll get a good response from most ICE drivers.

Reactions: Yev000

And remove the investment case for private companies to install chargepoints.

I think I would boil my response down into a few main categories

1. I'm against mandating contactless or any other payment method. To me this is a solution that steeped in the present and precludes the future, also having worked in retail IT I know there is huge cost and complexity in providing card services. The issue to be solved isn't that people don't want to use an app, get an RFID etc. it's that we don't want to get one per charging network. There are better ways to fix this such as point 2. Would we Tesla owners see any benefit if they were forced to provide a payment option on every SuperCharger? It's already more convenient.

2. I'm for mandating companies interoperate on payment. To put it another way, I think they should compete on price, reliability, location and charging speed, not on lock-in and payment convenience. I've added that I think they should have to charge the same rate to other networks, not charge a premium. Ionity should not be allowed to charge punitive fees to people without an account, I would rather they were honest and a closed network like Tesla, it harms EV adoption to allow people to see figure like 70p/KWH.

3. I'm against the whole concept of 'isolated' chargers. It doesn't make sense for network to locate a single charger in a dark corner of a deserted council car park that highly likely to be vandalised and slow to repair. I'm fairly sure that these are the result of local incentives and not in the interest of EV owners. Sure for some time EV owner will need to plan their charging more carefully, but I would always prefer to plan to route via a hub with multiple chargers even operators where I am guaranteed to be able to charge than turn up looking for a BP Pulse 50KW. Fortunately for me Tesla makes this relatively easy.

Reactions: Yev000
Link worked for me this morning.
Surely every charger should have contactless payment available as a minimum. For mass adoption it should be as easy as possible to charge.
I also think that fast charging should cost more than below 50kwh, however all pricing should be within a set percentage of cost. eg 50% above cost for below 50kwh and 100% above cost for more than 50kwh. This should be calculated on whats delivered not what the charger promises.

Link worked for me this morning.
Surely every charger should have contactless payment available as a minimum. For mass adoption it should be as easy as possible to charge.
I also think that fast charging should cost more than below 50kwh, however all pricing should be within a set percentage of cost. eg 50% above cost for below 50kwh and 100% above cost for more than 50kwh. This should be calculated on whats delivered not what the charger promises.
So do you think SuperChargers should have contactless payment?