Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HAving a used Tesla looked at before purchasing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in purchasing a 2016 Model S from a dealer and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a third party that can "go through" the car in advance of purchase...

I've done this with a mechanic on a standard ICE car but am unclear on how to do this with a tesla.

I am located in Seattle WA.

I'm interested in purchasing a 2016 Model S from a dealer and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a third party that can "go through" the car in advance of purchase...

I've done this with a mechanic on a standard ICE car but am unclear on how to do this with a tesla.

I am located in Seattle WA.
A mechanic can still check out the standard components like brakes, suspension, tires, etc., then a detail shop like Accutint in Bellevue can assess the condition of the paint and interior. Does that help?

Thanks for that. very helpful.

My biggest concern is the mechanical side of the car...

Unlike an ICE vehicle, the motor and battery are basically the two points, and are covered by their own long-term warranty. The battery is easy to tell - charge it to 100% and see what the number is. Make sure that number is in a reasonable place for the vehicle w/miles (you can find that on this board) and then go from there. A failing battery would show much less, but would also be covered. The motor should be fairly quiet and not make much noise. There isn't much of an inspection on that...

Reactions: MisterTwo
^ on top of that, the only other important thing about the battery is the maximum power it delivers, especially if you're getting a performance version. Since yours is a 2016 model it can pair up with PowerTools with no problem - then you can floor it and see what kWh you're getting, which of course would be different from model to model.

Also an 2016 Model S (depending on its mileage) could have its factory warranty until 2020.

Recently went through this myself with my 3rd model s (purchased out of state and from a 3rd party dealer) While most Tesla service centers won't perform a "used car inspection", they will perform an annual service which is the same bumper to bumper shakedown. One could even say better as they want to find something to sell you - lol.

I'm in Seattle as well and happy to help if I can.