Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having trouble with Ubertine rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I am having much trouble with my 2023 performance rims. I drive on normal roads with bumps. I haven’t hit any potholes. For the second time I have a wobble over 50mph. I suspect another dent/bend in the rim. I already got that fixed once.

I am reaching my wits end with the delicate ness of these rims and the Tesla in general.

When I got my wheels rotated the Tesla guy who confirmed the dent told me “that’s where I went wrong “ as in Getting those rims.

Any advice with the Ubertime rims. I am considering replacing them. What rims fit?

There are a number of threads on aftermarket rims, mostly in the Driving Dynamics forum. I replaced them with 19" forged rims that are designed for the M3P brakes and hub, and a slightly wider/taller tire for more protection. No issues since.

Reactions: afadeev
Hi there. I am having much trouble with my 2023 performance rims. I drive on normal roads with bumps. I haven’t hit any potholes. For the second time I have a wobble over 50mph. I suspect another dent/bend in the rim. I already got that fixed once.

I am reaching my wits end with the delicate ness of these rims and the Tesla in general.

When I got my wheels rotated the Tesla guy who confirmed the dent told me “that’s where I went wrong “ as in Getting those rims.

Any advice with the Ubertime rims. I am considering replacing them. What rims fit?
When you are dealing with such a low profile sidewall, I believe this often happens. This is the key reason why I’d never go with that size rim. Other people have mentioned that you could probably find some better aftermarket rims, which would be far more resilient. Best of luck with that.

This is the #1 complaint from our M3P clients. We typically "downsize" to an aftermarket 19" or 20" wheel that's stronger and lighter than the factory Uberturbines. Feel free to message us if you'd like to explore some options.

[email protected]
Danny

Is this an issue only with the 20” Uberturbines? I’ve had my car for 5 years on the original Performance 20s with zero issues, even through a few bouts with potholes, including one with a tire blowout. Still rock solid after 95k miles.

Tesla uses cheap parts all over the place (suspension, interior, wheels), and usually gets away with it.
Unfortunately, when you couple cheap and heavy cast wheels with 35% profile tires, wheels' weakness is exposed. And they bend. Usually on the RHS. And after you fix them, then they bend again.
BTDT.

Start with the tires you want, and then fit the rims to support them.
If you drive anywhere near NYC, you will want to go with slightly taller sidewall cushion.
I went from 235/35R20 stock Michelin PS4S's on bendy OEM wheels to 265/35R19 PS4S's on forged Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5" ET29 Wheels wheels from www.modelplusstudio.com
There are a bunch of other true forged Model 3 sized alternatives out there, but all where either out of stock or on pre-order when I was shopping earlier this year. The only other in-stock option were a couple of different UnPlugged wheels, but they were appreciably more expansive.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MODEL+
Is this an issue only with the 20” Uberturbines? I’ve had my car for 5 years on the original Performance 20s with zero issues, even through a few bouts with potholes, including one with a tire blowout. Still rock solid after 95k miles.

It's an issue with most OEM 20" wheels from any manufacturer when the driver doesn't watch where they're driving.

I bent ONE Tesla 20" wheel when I hit a HUGE pothole on a road I shouldn't have been on in the first place. Had that fixed for $125 - no issues since, and that was 3 years ago.

Tesla uses cheap parts all over the place (suspension, interior, wheels), and usually gets away with it.
Unfortunately, when you couple cheap and heavy cast wheels with 35% profile tires, wheels' weakness is exposed. And they bend. Usually on the RHS. And after you fix them, then they bend again.
BTDT.

Start with the tires you want, and then fit the rims to support them.
If you drive anywhere near NYC, you will want to go with slightly taller sidewall cushion.
I went from 235/35R20 stock Michelin PS4S's on bendy OEM wheels to 265/35R19 PS4S's on forged Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5" ET29 Wheels wheels from www.modelplusstudio.com
There are a bunch of other true forged Model 3 sized alternatives out there, but all where either out of stock or on pre-order when I was shopping earlier this year. The only other in-stock option were a couple of different UnPlugged wheels, but they were appreciably more expansive.

HTH,
a
Thank you !!

I have the V1 20” tesla oem and so far been great. I run 245/35/20 tires at 39 psi for some added rubber and cushion. Find it helps for damage, sidewall and just say to day absorption. I do go 19’s for winter season but just love the look and handling of the 20’s.

Not sure the Ubers are more prone to damage than the V1’s. As zcd1 said…still have to be vigilant around pot holes.

IMG_1284.jpeg

Reactions: DocHolliday
I have the V1 20” tesla oem and so far been great. I run 245/35/20 tires at 39 psi for some added rubber and cushion. Find it helps for damage, sidewall and just say to day absorption. I do go 19’s for winter season but just love the look and handling of the 20’s.

Not sure the Ubers are more prone to damage than the V1’s. As zcd1 said…still have to be vigilant around pot holes.

View attachment 980636
You are so correct! Vigilance is key!

This is why I replaced my 20" Uberturbines with 19" Sport V2. It wasn't 'if' I would bend a wheel, but 'when'.

I previously had the original 20" Performance wheels on my '20 M3P. I never had a blowout with those, but the ride was always bad. And the Uberturbines are 9" wide vs 8.5" so the same-width tire is more stretched.

I love the original 20s as pictured on my avatar. From a purely aesthetic standpoint I’ve yet to see a set of wheels that touch them, especially in these darker colors. That black out look on Destiny1701’s 3 is drop dead beautiful! I think this is the only car I’ve ever owned where I haven’t had the urge to swap out rims at some point.

Last edited:

View attachment 980636
The combination of running wider 245 tires on a 8.5" drastically improves ride comfort and pothole protection, compared to stretched 235 tires on 9". And yes, try not driving these cars like a Jeep definitely helps too 😅 .

Danny

I love the original 20s as pictured on my avatar. From a purely aesthetic standpoint I’ve yet to see a set of wheels that touch them, especially in these darker colors. That black out look on Destiny1701’s 3 is drop dead beautiful! I think this is the only car I’ve ever owned where I haven’t had the urge to swap out rims at some point.
Indeed,

They look good in white also.

20230912_155805.jpg

Thx man! Agreed. The car looks so gorgeous with the 20’s it’s hard to imagine AM market tbh. The black out with gun metal/pewter T decals/dual motor badges to match the rim colour was my project.
I wanted minimal colours…2 max. Black/pewter. Clean. Even the calipers are painted black :)

Reactions: ODWms
I went with 18" Replika R241 Rims at wheelwiz. After tax and shipping with discount code back then it was the cheapest option. However if you are time sensitive there are other vendors stateside and if lucky you may be able to find a set off ebay.

Right after installing I've noticed the ride is cushier and quieter.

After Installation and tax it cost 1,941.42 to do the full swap. I should break even once I sell the uberturbines.

Also people are correct that the originals do look more special and they can go with 19s instead for aesthetics, however my little dragon will be a road warrior so she needs meat on those treads. Nokians are some of the best in that regard and are practically bulletproof. Also the wheels I got aren't exactly ugly.

When the wheels and tires are cleaned up I'll show her off later. But IMO extra meat isn't an awful or ugly choice even if it's very practical and safe. Oh and one more note, I DID experience increased Efficiency. I'm now about 10-15% more efficient in range than when I was on performance rims and tires. So yes I see about 30+ more miles on my range despite driving the same manner.

Original 20 uberturbines
1.png

Custom 18" Replika R241 Rims with Nokian Ones (Sorry was showing the lighting on the decal rather than wheels but you can see the difference)
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited: