Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean two replacement colors are on their way?!

No, I do not think so. It has to do with "enhance our ability to scale up production in 2015." There was a question about manufacturing processes and Elon referred to the shareholder letter where its stated : "One of the significant actions we intend to take in order to reduce manufacturing complexity is to simplify our product offering byreducing the number of options and powertrain combinations."

No, I do not think so. It has to do with "enhance our ability to scale up production in 2015." There was a question about manufacturing processes and Elon referred to the shareholder letter where its stated : "One of the significant actions we intend to take in order to reduce manufacturing complexity is to simplify our product offering byreducing the number of options and powertrain combinations."

Bummer ... additional colors would have been nice. Don't see added paint choices as significantly adding to manufacturing complexity since they're not actual parts or changes in how the car is assembled - it's just a different paint code programmed into the painting robots.

Did you notice how TM said they're sold out of X production slots for 2015 and early 2016? My original plan was to turn in my MS at the end of my 36 month guarantee in Aug 2016 and switch to the MX. Now I'm wondering if I should put down a deposit to "hold my spot" for an Aug 2016 delivery so I can be sure I'll get a switch? Or do you think TM would help out and extend my guarantee period if there's no MX available at the time my 36 months ends?

Did you notice how TM said they're sold out of X production slots for 2015 and early 2016? My original plan was to turn in my MS at the end of my 36 month guarantee in Aug 2016 and switch to the MX. Now I'm wondering if I should put down a deposit to "hold my spot" for an Aug 2016 delivery so I can be sure I'll get a switch? Or do you think TM would help out and extend my guarantee period if there's no MX available at the time my 36 months ends?

I would recommend you put down a deposit now. TM is no longer hurting for sales, so they won't bend the rules on your guarantee. Aside from the fact it could take too long to get an approval to extend, it could run out wail you are waiting. And as a back up plan, you could consider a MS loaner or inventory car. I'd have no fear of getting my deposit back under any conditions anyway. just my two cents.

Between the D announcement and the earnings call, you could order 60, 60D, 85, 85D, P85D. I may be wrong, but I think maybe P85 was still available too. Today, definitely no P85 or 60D in the Design Center.

Yeah. They actually covered this in the 3Q earnings report. Said they were bringing down the number of options to streamline production and make them more efficient. D is no longer available for the 60 battery and P85 must come with D. And as already mentioned, elimination of green and brown colors.

And another interesting tidbit from the TSLA investors forum regarding the 10-Q report:

Well this should make Monday interesting
From the 10-Q - Telsa considers that the Model 3 Alpha Prototype is almost complete

As of September 30, 2014, the following three performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:
* Successful completion of the Model X Beta Prototype;
* Completion of the first Model X Production Vehicle; and
* Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype.

Bold emphasis is mine. That's sooner than I think anyone expected for the completion of the Model 3 prototype.

Yeah. They actually covered this in the 3Q earnings report. Said they were bringing down the number of options to streamline production and make them more efficient. D is no longer available for the 60 battery and P85 must come with D. And as already mentioned, elimination of green and brown colors.

And another interesting tidbit from the TSLA investors forum regarding the 10-Q report:

Well this should make Monday interesting
From the 10-Q - Telsa considers that the Model 3 Alpha Prototype is almost complete

As of September 30, 2014, the following three performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:
* Successful completion of the Model X Beta Prototype;
* Completion of the first Model X Production Vehicle; and
* Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype.

Bold emphasis is mine. That's sooner than I think anyone expected for the completion of the Model 3 prototype.

Probably saving that reveal for when the stock price needs another boost. :)

I just read the 10Q and the milestones listed above have no time frame for "probable achievement". What this means is that there are stock options vesting tied to these milestones. The 10Q is merely making forward looking statements that it is likely that these milestones will be achieved. There is actually one more that is listed as likely to happen: "Completion of the first Model X Production Vehicle".

The other interesting future milestones for option vesting are:
- achieving aggregate vehicle production of 100,000 vehicles in a trailing 12-month period
- achievement of annualized gross margin of greater than 30.0% in any three years

Text from article in Star Advertiser today about chargers and an interview with a CMax owner...love how she complains about chargers always being Leaf'd and range anxiety...no mention of Tesla though :( I bolded the relevent text.

Charging station growth planned Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper

Tiffany Franco fumed as she drove around the Ward Center parking lot looking for a place to charge her electric vehicle.
"It's always the Nissan Leafs," Franco grumbled. "I chose 10 a.m. because I thought everyone would be at work."
Franco had been searching for a place to charge her Ford C-Max Energi for almost an hour, using the state's "EV Stations Hawaii" mobile application to locate stations on her phone. Ward Center was the fourth parking garage Franco left frustrated — too many cars looking to charge.
At the end of October, Hawaii passed the 3,000 mark for the number of registered electric vehicles (EVs), and the state, the electric utility and private companies are pushing ahead with plans to make it easier for owners to charge their cars.
Already Hawaii is well ahead of Cali*for*nia in the number of community charging stations. There are 422 public charging stations in Hawaii, many of which are free. That means Hawaii has 1 charging station for every 7 vehicles. California has only 1 charging station for every 64 electric vehicles.
Still, Franco, who depends on public charging stations, was finding it hard to find an open slot last week. Unlike most EV owners, Franco doesn't have a charging station at home.
As a 28-year-old renter, she didn't want to charge her car at home and burden her roommates with a higher electric bill. So she's left with looking for public stations or burning gas in her plug-in hybrid.
"Charge stations now are hard to find," said Franco. "It's hard to actually get a spot."
The spread of charging stations is key to getting more drivers to switch to electric cars that can lower the state's dependence on foreign oil.
In 2012 the Legislature passed a law requiring parking lots that have 100 parking spaces or more to designate at least one space exclusively for EVs and equip it with a charging system.
There are 12 charging station manufacturers and networks in Hawaii.
Typically EV owners charge their car batteries at home overnight. A few hours of charging will deliver as much as 100 miles on most electric cars. For an EV driver to make a trip longer than 100 miles, the car would need to be charged away from home.
Volta Industries, one charging station company in Hawaii, has 30 stations in the state with plans to add more next year. The company offers charging stations that are free for drivers to use. Volta generates revenue from advertising on the charging station.
"The majority of EV drivers will charge overnight at their home," said Arden Penton, director of media and operations at Volta. "They charge for two hours and get 50 miles, but for those who really need the charge, if the stations are full, that kind of puts them in a pickle."
Franco works at Starbucks part time and at Illest, a clothing company. Her work hours make it hard for her to commit time to search for a charging spot.
"I kind of have a rough schedule where I can't always look for a charge station," said Franco.
Franco's inability to charge at home makes her an outlier, said Dan Davids, board chairman of a Cali*for*nia nonprofit that promotes the use of EVs called Plug In America. Public charging is mostly used for convenience, Davids said.
"In the big picture that is still an unusual situation, someone who is ‘garage challenged.' An awful lot of people don't even have garages, and yet there really might be a few instances around the country of curbside charging stations. The marketplace is still a bit slow for a need for someone who is completely ‘garage challenged.'"
The next-best option for a case similar to Franco's is charging at work, Davids said.
Hawaii Energy, an energy efficency and conversation program controlled by the state's Public Utilities Commission, is looking into a "charge-at-work" pilot program.
From August 2010 through May 2012, the state offered rebates of up to $4,500 for EV buyers to encourage more drivers to switch, but that program ended.
Another incentive offers free metered parking for EV owners in Hawaii for up to 21⁄2 hours or the maximum amount of time the meter allows.
Even as a young professional, Franco said that going electric was an affordable option.
Franco missed out on the $4,500 rebate when buying her Ford C-Max, but she is pleased with the savings she gets from not paying for gas and parking.
"When they first came out I was mainly looking at the price, but when you do your research you see the benefits of the vehicle in the long run," she said.
For EV owners who charge at home, Hawaiian Electric Co. offers an incentive. The utility gives a discount on rates for charging EVs during off-peak times of day.
For rooftop photovoltaic owners in Hawaii, electricity generated by their solar panels can offset the cost of the electricity they use from the grid to charge their vehicles, increasing their savings even more, according to a report released by the state Energy Office in 2013.

As a surfer who frequently drives to the North Shore, Franco worried about the "range anxiety" issue, or fear of the battery running down. That's one reason she bought a plug-in hybrid. Her Ford C-Max has a gas-powered engine as well as the electric motor, so it can run on gasoline when no charging stations are nearby.
"I don't want to be limited," Franco said. "The North Shore doesn't really have a lot of charging stations. That was a major factor. If I go out in the evening or the weekend, I would be really limited." 
Of the 261 stations on Oahu, there are three charging stations on the North Shore.
Volta has made note of the number of drivers interested in North Shore charging stations, said Arden.
"We actually are thinking about that," she said. "It has been a huge request."

Text from article in Star Advertiser today about chargers and an interview with a CMax owner...love how she complains about chargers always being Leaf'd and range anxiety...no mention of Tesla though :( I bolded the relevent text.

Charging station growth planned Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper

I listened to her comments earlier today. Some of the points were valid. Of course, there are those who live in condos who don't have access to their own home charging station. Also, there still is no bite to the law about the EV stalls and charging stations in parking lots with more than 100 stalls. I do think the law should be expanded to include the penalties for non-compliance as well as making it mandatory that more stalls be used if the parking lot has 200 or more stalls.

I went to the Star Advertiser website to review the article again and wanted to read the comments. It is so funny how people think that the taxpayers are paying for the EV charging.

Last edited:
I listened to her comments earlier today. Some of the points were valid. Of course, there are those who live in condos who don't have access to their own home charging station. Also, there still is no bite to the law about the EV stalls and charging stations in parking lots with more than 100 stalls. I do think the law should be expanded to include the penalties for non-compliance as well as making it mandatory that more stalls be used if the parking lot has 200 or more stalls.

Those are good idea. How do we get the law changed to include more resources and consideration? Maybe everyone can send a brief note showing our support for such to Sen. Mike Gabbard. He's chair of the Environment (and something else) Committee.

And I encourage everyone to send a note to Tesla requesting they install a SuperCharger. I too think it would be a plus for the condo dewellers and help them charge. We have a thread under our group threads about SuperCharging. Please review it.

Thanks for sharing the article Nanimac. I had a facebook friend who made snide remarks about this article and now I got to read it in its entirety. There's a lot of jealous ICE drivers out there for the benefits that are bestowed upon EV drivers.

I find it slightly ironic that a plug in hybrid which can run on gas only is complaining about chargers being monopolized by a battery electric vehicle which has no choice but to run solely on electricity. Nevertheless, expansion of charging stations benefits us all and can only be a good thing.

Ok, I've been quiet for too long....
I went to the Star Advertiser website to review the article again and wanted to read the comments. It is so funny how people think that the taxpayers are paying for the EV charging.
in the case of the chargers that are at the Blasdell and city parking lots that is a true statement. they were installed and operate using a (5 year?) federal grant.
Those are good idea. How do we get the law changed to include more resources and consideration? Maybe everyone can send a brief note showing our support for such to Sen. Mike Gabbard. He's chair of the Environment (and something else) Committee.
And I encourage everyone to send a note to Tesla requesting they install a SuperCharger. I too think it would be a plus for the condo dewellers and help them charge. We have a thread under our group threads about SuperCharging. Please review it.
My efforts to get more incentives for condos to install EV charging equipment have fallen on dead ears.
Thanks for sharing the article Nanimac. I had a facebook friend who made snide remarks about this article and now I got to read it in its entirety. There's a lot of jealous ICE drivers out there for the benefits that are bestowed upon EV drivers.
not benefits... temporary incentives to promote EV use and adoption.
I find it slightly ironic that a plug in hybrid which can run on gas only is complaining about chargers being monopolized by a battery electric vehicle which has no choice but to run solely on electricity. Nevertheless, expansion of charging stations benefits us all and can only be a good thing.

as someone who lives in a condo I can sympathize with Tiffany and have also driven around and looked for an open EV charging spot. Oh, sorry, she has a hybrid. never mind, she is an !&!*#.:cursing: finding a charging station has gotten more competitive in the past few months,:cursing: and I have been unplugged more in the past few months than in the prior (almost) two years, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to wait over an hour to get a spot. most of the time it only takes one or two loops around the Ward area to find a space.:tongue: and lately my super secret charging space that was down for three months has been unoccupied even when there was an event at that location. the article is wrong when they say she is an outlier without a garage to charge in. the number of people that live in high-rise condos and have or want an EV is huge. as an interim step to getting more chargers they need to pump up the amps to allow faster charging and free up the spaces faster. (at least for the cars that can use the increased amperage, like the MS and .... well, the MS:biggrin:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.