Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great news that they are finally opening the Service Center. I had heard late last year that the location was going to be Waipahu and was a bit surprised. Then, they had issues so they were looking for another location, and I was kind of hoping for something closer to town. Kaimuki (as someone else mentioned) would have been nice for us townies.

This location is actually IMO closer to Waikele. I often go to meetings at the Building Industry Association which is in the same cul-de-sac on Akoki St and from town, in morning traffic it takes a good 30 minutes, mainly because of the zipper lane. Other times of the day, 20-30 min. Exit at Waikele, then at the light turn toward Waipahu, and only another few minutes from there. It's a newer industrial area, as others have mentioned, so not seedy or ugly.

One week from today I will be doing my test drive at Santana Row. Very excited! With confirmation of the Service Center, it just makes the decision so much easier. Biggest decision will be the color!

Ok, I've had my car for over two months and I have some curb rash on both my back wheels. Nothing too bad, but even a little blemish bothers me. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a wheel repair service on Oahu? Thank you in advance.

Ok, I've had my car for over two months and I have some curb rash on both my back wheels. Nothing too bad, but even a little blemish bothers me. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a wheel repair service on Oahu? Thank you in advance.

I've only had my car for two weeks and last night I noticed some curb rash. :cursing::cursing:WTF!!!:cursing::cursing: When did that happen? I've been extra careful and it still happened.

Finally got my HI plates. all it took was two trips to the tax office, four trips to sattelite city hall and a trip to the State Vehicle Compliance office. almost as hard as it was to get Tesla to ship the car here.:rolleyes:
At the Vehicle complinace office (at Kapabulu and Kapiolani blvd, under H1) they verified the VIN and gave me another form to bring back to Sattelite city hall (along with all the other documents previously submitted.)
Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the front plate on, without drilling any holes. looking at one of the methods mentioned in another thread here on TMC.

dsmith2189:
A couple of months ago, Jkam wrote a very informative guide on how to register the car. My understanding was that you take the Tesla shipping papers to the tax office to pay the excise tax and obtain a proof of tax payment, drive the car to a safety inspection station to get a blue temporary safety inspection, then take both to the City to get the new motor vehicle registration, then get a permanent safety check after the plates are mounted.
Can you explain your procedure? What is the State Vehicle Compliance office? Where does this fit in the preceding procedure?
Does the City automatically give you Electric Vehicle plates based on the VIN? Do the EV plates cost extra compared to regular plates?
Thanks.

P.S. Is this what you are looking for? Skene Design License Plate Mount

Wheel Repair place

I've only had my car for two weeks and last night I noticed some curb rash. :cursing::cursing:WTF!!!:cursing::cursing: When did that happen? I've been extra careful and it still happened.

Finally got my HI plates. all it took was two trips to the tax office, four trips to sattelite city hall and a trip to the State Vehicle Compliance office. almost as hard as it was to get Tesla to ship the car here.:rolleyes:
At the Vehicle complinace office (at Kapabulu and Kapiolani blvd, under H1) they verified the VIN and gave me another form to bring back to Sattelite city hall (along with all the other documents previously submitted.)
Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the front plate on, without drilling any holes. looking at one of the methods mentioned in another thread here on TMC.

dsmith: hawaiiskibum: spleen:
I co-worker had 22" Ford factory (fancy) wheels that had curb rash. The found a great place that did a very good job on this. Its Alloy Wheel Repair, behind (way behind) Tony Nissan and Costco off H2. Probably can find it with a Google. He also said, if wheels are Aluminum tell them not to put Clear Coat on them. He was very pleased with the result. I saw them. Looked great.

- - - Updated - - -

dsmith2189:
A couple of months ago, Jkam wrote a very informative guide on how to register the car. My understanding was that you take the Tesla shipping papers to the tax office to pay the excise tax and obtain a proof of tax payment, drive the car to a safety inspection station to get a blue temporary safety inspection, then take both to the City to get the new motor vehicle registration, then get a permanent safety check after the plates are mounted.
Can you explain your procedure? What is the State Vehicle Compliance office? Where does this fit in the preceding procedure?
Does the City automatically give you Electric Vehicle plates based on the VIN? Do the EV plates cost extra compared to regular plates?
Thanks.

Solar Powered: Did you use this mounting plate on yours? Which one? It appears that there are 5 sizes.
Thanks

dsmith: hawaiiskibum: spleen:
I co-worker had 22" Ford factory (fancy) wheels that had curb rash. The found a great place that did a very good job on this. Its Alloy Wheel Repair, behind (way behind) Tony Nissan and Costco off H2. Probably can find it with a Google. He also said, if wheels are Aluminum tell them not to put Clear Coat on them. He was very pleased with the result. I saw them. Looked great.

Awesome, thanks for relaying that rec!

dsmith2189:
Thanks.

JKams, guide should work in most cases but in my case my VIN wasn't put into the system and I had to take it to the compliance office to get them to visually inspect the car VIN.

the compliance office is where you would take your vehicle to get the reconstruction sticker if you made major/non-standard changes to your vehicle. an example of this would be if you jacked your truck's suspension about 6 feet higher than stock. they would inspect your vehicle for road worthiness and issue you the sticker to go along side your normal safety stickers. no stickers in my case, they just needed to see the car and sign the form.

these are the steps I took:
1. Tax office (missing the final configuration sheet that had the personal delivery charges)
2. Tax office 2nd try success, (4.5% on MVPA less personal delivery charges)
3.. Ala Moana Satellite City hall (forgot my safety inspection)
4. Safety Inspection, needed proof of insurance (got blue form)
5. Ala Moana Satellite City hall (VIN not in system request for inspection submitted, (also informed Tesla that HI did not get my VIN), told to wait on phone call for appointment)
6. Wait for phone call 1-2 business days (no phone call)
7. Kalihi Satellite City hall (VIN still not in system. request for inspection resubmitted, told to wait on phone call for appointment)
8. Wait for phone call 1-2 business days (phone call 1 business day later)
9. appointment for next day 7AM, recieved VIN Verification form.
10 Ala Moana Sattelete City hall, turned in all forms, Paid registration fee (just over $400), recieved plates.
11 Rear plates attached with safety inspection sticker bracket. (Note: tesla provided screws use allen wrench to secure. the ones holding the factory tesla frame are phillips head)
12 tomorrow: will mount plate using the 5/16" "toilet bolt" method. (or zip tie if it takes me longer than 10 minutes to mount...)
13 tomorrow: will take to original place I got the blue safety inspection form and get the permanent forms. (white and goldenrod?)

Last edited:
dsmith, thanks for sharing your experience. seems like you had to go the LONG route to not only get your car but to get your car licensed! hope you are truly enjoying the car now!

akikikiki, thanks for the wheel repair info. i'm definitely going to check it out. for the size of license bracket, the list on the website has the Tesla Model S as medium. seems like a very good option for the front plates. put it on for the safety check then take it off until the next safety check.

JKams, guide should work in most cases but in my case my VIN wasn't put into the system and I had to take it to the compliance office to get them to visually inspect the car VIN.

the compliance office is where you would take your vehicle to get the reconstruction sticker if you made major/non-standard changes to your vehicle. an example of this would be if you jacked your truck's suspension about 6 feet higher than stock. they would inspect your vehicle for road worthiness and issue you the sticker to go along side your normal safety stickers. no stickers in my case, they just needed to see the car and sign the form.

these are the steps I took:
1. Tax office (missing the final configuration sheet that had the personal delivery charges)
2. Tax office 2nd try success, (4.5% on MVPA less personal delivery charges)
3.. Ala Moana Satellite City hall (forgot my safety inspection)
4. Safety Inspection, needed proof of insurance (got blue form)
5. Ala Moana Satellite City hall (VIN not in system request for inspection submitted, (also informed Tesla that HI did not get my VIN), told to wait on phone call for appointment)
6. Wait for phone call 1-2 business days (no phone call)
7. Kalihi Satellite City hall (VIN still not in system. request for inspection resubmitted, told to wait on phone call for appointment)
8. Wait for phone call 1-2 business days (phone call 1 business day later)
9. appointment for next day 7AM, recieved VIN Verification form.
10 Ala Moana Sattelete City hall, turned in all forms, Paid registration fee (just over $400), recieved plates.
11 Rear plates attached with safety inspection sticker bracket. (Note: tesla provided screws use allen wrench to secure. the ones holding the factory tesla frame are phillips head)
12 tomorrow: will mount plate using the 5/16" "toilet bolt" method. (or zip tie if it takes me longer than 10 minutes to mount...)
13 tomorrow: will take to original place I got the blue safety inspection form and get the permanent forms. (white and goldenrod?)

dsmith: Thanks. This is very useful. The part about "request for inspection". Did you do that because the car's VIN was not in the system?
How did that work? You finally got an appointment? Where? Kalihi Sat City Hall and someone looked at it? They okayed it and you moved forward in the process?
Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Hawaiiskibum: Take the front tag off? You think we can get away with that for a year at a time between inspections? Wow! I've lived here 24 years. Never had the guts to try that.
Thanks for the reply about the bracket.

One practical point to the whole front license plate issue is that when you're in a municipal parking lot, the attendant usually checks the front license plate to confirm the information that you write on the parking ticket to not have to pay. If you don't have one, they'll have to walk around to the back of the car and that may make them grumpy :)

First Tesla Sighting!

I have already finalized with a delivery window of May - June. I just realized that my car will hopefully be delivered within 3 - 4 months, and until today I have yet to even see one in person. What a way to buy a car - talk about a leap of faith!

Today at Hawaii Kai Costco, about 1:00 PM I saw my first Tesla. It was black and had a short license plate number that starts with an "H". I was wondering if it was someone who frequents this forum (or the other one, which I will post to as well).

One word came to my mind: Stealth. The car looked so sleek as it silently glided by me. I was going to try to talk to the driver but had no opportunity. In reading previous threads, I was concerned that the car would be too large. But seeing it up close, it doesn't look large at all. Just stealthy!

Apparently 4 in Hawaii...

I was sitting with my buddy at Serge's in Manoa and literally talking about the stock, when a nice red S pulled up. The owner must of felt like a rock star's assistant:) while I was peppering him with questions, someone else walked up and ask if he could take a picture. He was so gracious and indulged us all. Lucky guy!

First Tesla Sighting!

Today at Hawaii Kai Costco, about 1:00 PM I saw my first Tesla. It was black and had a short license plate number that starts with an "H". I was wondering if it was someone who frequents this forum (or the other one, which I will post to as well).

Is it possible to get a vanity license plate and still have the "Electric Vehicle" designation in Hawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.