Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of Question and FYI

I have a delivery window of Mar 1-15. For those of you who have received your vehicles, did you have to insure the vehicle from when they delivered to the carrier on the West Coast (ie Matson, Pasha, etc). Or does Tesla insure and take responsibility until you pick up the vehicle at the service center/home delivery?

I also noticed on my final paperwork, in the "Post Sales Service Agreement:

Logistics and Delivery of the Vehicle to Destination Address

Wash and Detail Vehicle

Charge Vehicle

Local Vehicle Titling and Registration Services

Personalized Overview of Vehicle

Installed Paint Armor

Installation of front license plate bracket

Has anyone received local titling and registration services yet? I know the earlier posters had to do all of this on their own.

Lastly, I have a leaf and a Aerovironment charger that plugs into a Nema 14-50 40A plug. Do I even need that charger anymore, since the Tesla charger can plug into the 220V plug? Or should I sell the charger with my 2012 Nissan Leaf?

Appreciate all of your insights. I will also post my experiences with the above areas and delivery dates as my delivery nears.

My VIN is 5709 and final paperwork estimates delivery on 3/3, but I am sure it will be later since they need to ship to Hawaii.

Mahalo all!

Hello 808oman,

I'm not able to give you information about the Hawaii titling and registration stuff, but I can say that you do not need the Aerovironment charger if you are not keeping your Leaf. The Model S comes with a Universal Mobile Connector and one of the plug adapters on it will plug directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. So no J1772 charger needed! You will be able to charge at approximately 21 miles of rated range per hour on the NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you get the Tesla Model S iPhone or Android phone app, you will be able to monitor the charging status of your car as well as stop and start the charging with the app. If Hawaii has time of day energy metering, the app will be helpful for you to have until Tesla updates the firmware of the car to have timed charging.

Charger

Hello 808oman,

I'm not able to give you information about the Hawaii titling and registration stuff, but I can say that you do not need the Aerovironment charger if you are not keeping your Leaf. The Model S comes with a Universal Mobile Connector and one of the plug adapters on it will plug directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. So no J1772 charger needed! You will be able to charge at approximately 21 miles of rated range per hour on the NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you get the Tesla Model S iPhone or Android phone app, you will be able to monitor the charging status of your car as well as stop and start the charging with the app. If Hawaii has time of day energy metering, the app will be helpful for you to have until Tesla updates the firmware of the car to have timed charging.

Thanks for the info. Might get rid of the charger with the car then.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone who got their cars if they had to insure from the time the vehicle leaves the factory or when you picked up the car locally.

Thank you.

Congrats to dpodoll and 808oman on their upcoming delivery!! I think I will take a quick spin out to Waipahu this coming week, just to see all the MS and check out the service center.

BTW, 2 Volta charging stations are being installed in the parking garage of Ward Center (next to Pier 1) on the ground floor. Installation wasn't finished as of a couple of days ago, but should be very soon. Says it FREE!

Hi all,
I just got through reading all the posts here, a lot of good info. thanks to all of you.
The SC called me last week so I will be taking delivery on Fri 3/1. Can't wait!
Hey Rod, if that's you I'll be giving you a call so you can test drive,
after I play with it a couple days!

No Call Yet Either

Wow!! I wonder if mine is on there as well. My delivery window is Feb. 28th- Mar. 14th but no one from Tesla has contacted me since that e-mail back in Jan. 19th

Sent in my payment last week and Delivery Window of Feb 28-Mar 15, so I am hoping mine is in that group of vehicles coming in.

DS did say:

We are bringing onboard a new delivery expert to assist us in the final leg of all Hawaii deliveries. He will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss. Delivery dates.

Has anyone's lender required you to insure the vehicle from the time the vehicle is shipped?

I spoke to Farmer's and they didn't mention anything about it. They wanted the VIN # (which wasn't available at the time), and just said to let them know when it comes in. Never mentioned about insuring during transit and such.

Hickam FCU tried to tell us we needed to insure it. After countless calls between us the CU and Tesla the CU was able to wrap their heads around the fact that the car still belongs to Tesla while in transit. I becomes mine when I take delivery at the SC in Hawaii.

Hi all,
I just got through reading all the posts here, a lot of good info. thanks to all of you.
The SC called me last week so I will be taking delivery on Fri 3/1. Can't wait!
Hey Rod, if that's you I'll be giving you a call so you can test drive,
after I play with it a couple days!

Fantastic, Bruce - Excited for you! Yes this is me, looking forward to seeing your car! My estimated window is May - June.

Congrats on everyone who's getting their cars soon! My husband went by the shop yesterday to see the used one they're selling (still haven't heard from Tesla sales people yet). Barry was at the dock picking up cars but they did have 2 white ones and a dark grey one getting prepped for delivery. Someone from Fremont was there helping to get the cars ready. May/June seems like an eternity for me when so many other people will be getting their cars soon. :)

I thought mine would be on this boat, but I called this morning, and alas it was not. Looks like they're going to just make the tail-end of my delivery window. It's still earlier than I had anticipated when I first placed my reservation back in November.

Not on this boat either

I thought mine would be on this boat, but I called this morning, and alas it was not. Looks like they're going to just make the tail-end of my delivery window. It's still earlier than I had anticipated when I first placed my reservation back in November.

Yup, like Stephen S, my vin 5706 not on this shipment and still at Fremont waiting for shipment.

So looks like we have to wait till the tail end of the delivery window, which is Mar 15th.

Hopefully they get it on e ship leaving next Tue (3/5) and arriving Sat in Hnl, which should allow for delivery in the end of the window.

Has anyone's lender required you to insure the vehicle from the time the vehicle is shipped?
It was never a question by Navy Federal CU. Technically the car is the responsibility of Tesla until you accept it. I actually insured it before I got it to have a back-up date for my "in service" date (Dec 31, 2012) for the IRS just in case they didn't like my MVPA date. of course my initial delivery window started Jan 3rd (and I ended up getting the car Jan 17th. I think I have PTSD from that "experience")

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, like Stephen S, my vin 5706 not on this shipment and still at Fremont waiting for shipment.
So looks like we have to wait till the tail end of the delivery window, which is Mar 15th.
Hopefully they get it on e ship leaving next Tue (3/5) and arriving Sat in Hnl, which should allow for delivery in the end of the window.
DS did say:

We are bringing onboard a new delivery expert to assist us in the final leg of all Hawaii deliveries. He will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss. Delivery dates.

They certainly need to do something to prevent my "delivery experience"
Tesla sub-contracts with UPS logistics - they deliver it to Port of Oakland
UPS logistics sub contracts with Horizon Lines - who ships the car on Matson.
they they leave it on the pier for a week for no reason and don't inform anyone.
Car arrives in Hawaii and local shipper drops it off at my door within 24 hours.

At least they have the service center open (is it officialy open?) to do final preps prior to actual delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

After 6 weeks of charging at the City's free chargepoint charger...
I intended to charge for 5 hours but fell asleep:redface: (at home) woke up 8 hours into the charge.
someone had unplugged me and left a note...:frown: (that I found after searching to find out what they did with my J1772 adapter:eek:)
Parking0001.jpg

Seriously, 2 1/2 hours? (about 30 miles of charge)
Chargepoint web site says to limit your charging to 4 hours for this charger. :wink:
I had to unplug a Leaf the other day that had been charging for 8+ hours at this same charger.:tongue:

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I had no idea there was a statute in the books limiting how long you can charge (and such a short time too!)

On a separate note, aren't several Hawaii members getting their cars today?
Update your experience and post pics please!!! :smile:

Seriously, 2 1/2 hours? (about 30 miles of charge)
Chargepoint web site says to limit your charging to 4 hours for this charger. :wink:
I had to unplug a Leaf the other day that had been charging for 8+ hours at this same charger.:tongue:

My gut instinct is that is b*lls*&t. I haven't had time to research that statute, but I think it is bogus. I think Diamond just made up its own rule and passed it off as a statute. When I have time I will do some research.

Maybe I'm wrong.

My gut instinct is that is b*lls*&t. I haven't had time to research that statute, but I think it is bogus. I think Diamond just made up its own rule and passed it off as a statute. When I have time I will do some research.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Here's the link to the statute http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2012/bills/GM1271_.PDF

It does have a 2 1/2 hour limit for metered parking (or more, depending on the time limit of the meter).

Status
Not open for further replies.