Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ haha!! Well done, sir. Your credibility in tact, you are right, you cannot write for the automotive section of the NYT :tongue:
Great stories! I will certainly wave to you if I see another MS on the road, though I have been known munch on a few granola bars and occasionally shop at Whole Foods if not sporting a beard :biggrin:
I was actually thinking that I should have joined as an honorary member and tag along in my BMW 3-series, but I probably couldn't have kept up in the passing situation :wink:
That's cool if the cop actually talked to you about the MS. The wait is KILLING me! Get here already my white P85 steed with tan interior and matte obeche finish! :biggrin:

To all OAHU MS owners - You guys have to go to Jerry's Pizza in Waialua next to Haleiwa. They have the best pizza on the island. I'm from the east coast and they are the closest to NY style pizza. Also after you eat take a drive up to Kaena Point State Park. It has spectacular views and the beaches are amazing. I'm here for a few more days. Have to go back to receive my S on the 20th. That's the only reason to leave paradise. Well and my job.........

Like the rest of the United States, other than Arizona, my Tesla Model S sprung forward for daylight savings time. My clock is now one hour ahead of what it should be. After a cursory look, I can't figure out how to get the clock to change. Anybody else have an idea how to fix this?

The clock fixed itself. When I got in this morning the clock was displaying the correct time.

It did scare me though the other day. I thought I was late for my dinner reservation.

In case you haven't seen in the paper today...

Hawaii electric vehicle stations sold

Better Place, which owns and operates 77 charge spots, or 154 charge points in the islands, has sold the charging stations to OpConnect.
Better Place announced in February its intentions to leave the Hawaii market and focus on its core markets in Israel and Denmark. OpConnect is based in Oregon.
The deal, the value of which were not disclosed, will have OpConnect swap out the Better Place stations for its own, ensuring continued charging access to nearly 700 drivers who have joined the Better Place network.
OpConnect will take over operations of the network almost immediately and overtime, EvStructure Co. will install and maintain the OpConnect stations.
Current members of the Better Place network will have immediate access to the new network, which new EV owners can explore and register for online.

https://www.opconnect.com/Account/Register

In case you haven't seen in the paper today...

Hawaii electric vehicle stations sold

Better Place, which owns and operates 77 charge spots, or 154 charge points in the islands, has sold the charging stations to OpConnect.
Better Place announced in February its intentions to leave the Hawaii market and focus on its core markets in Israel and Denmark. OpConnect is based in Oregon.
The deal, the value of which were not disclosed, will have OpConnect swap out the Better Place stations for its own, ensuring continued charging access to nearly 700 drivers who have joined the Better Place network.
OpConnect will take over operations of the network almost immediately and overtime, EvStructure Co. will install and maintain the OpConnect stations.
Current members of the Better Place network will have immediate access to the new network, which new EV owners can explore and register for online.

https://www.opconnect.com/Account/Register
Hawaii News Now story Better Place, OpConnect Ensure Continued Charging Access for Hawaii EV Drivers

with any luck they will upgrade the stations to provide a better charging rate. the betterplace stations on the lower level by the taxi stand are 1/2 the charge rate of the chargepoint stations. when I tried them they were chargeing at 6mi/hr. a standard 110v outlet is almost as fast.
Speaking of 110v outlests. While charging at the Blaisdell the other day I noticed that each of the stairwells on the first level have a 110v outlet. If they J1772 is occupied I may try to plug into the stair outlets until the main charger is done. I dare not bring this up to the staff there just in case they object. better to ask forgiveness than permission...

Last edited:
image.jpg

My friend just snapped this pic from the road. Is it mine?!?! Hurry up and call me!! The anticipation is driving me crazy!

Well, the day has finally come (I think). I should be receiving my S sometime today if all goes as planned. Since I will probably be busy plastering a Tesla grin all over my face, here's a summation of my costs after much studying on these forums:

Solar City Nema 14-50 plug install: $450
Loan through Navy Federal Credit Union for 72 mos. at 1.99%
Insurance through Progressive (which was done with a call to my actual insurer Farmers which I thought was odd. Farmer's said Tesla is too expensive and they will not insure it and connected me directly with Progressive) $639/6 months

configuration:
white/tan matte obeche trim. 21" silver wheels, spoiler, sound studio system, parcel shelf.

Also picked up a new crate of Zaino detailing products since I plan on detailing the car myself again (haven't done this since my S2000 many years back) from pakshak.com

Hope to see all of you other MS drivers on the road! It's Tesla Time!

Well, the day has finally come (I think). I should be receiving my S sometime today if all goes as planned. Since I will probably be busy plastering a Tesla grin all over my face, here's a summation of my costs after much studying on these forums:

Insurance through Progressive (which was done with a call to my actual insurer Farmers which I thought was odd. Farmer's said Tesla is too expensive and they will not insure it and connected me directly with Progressive) $639/6 months

configuration:
white/tan matte obeche trim. 21" silver wheels, spoiler, sound studio system, parcel shelf.

Also picked up a new crate of Zaino detailing products since I plan on detailing the car myself again (haven't done this since my S2000 many years back) from pakshak.com

@Stephen; Congrats to you. That's wonderful news. That's an excellent price on the insurance. Don't feel bad, lots of owners on TM's forum are reporting paying twice/three times that.
Hope to see you on the road.

Congrats! How exciting! I'm so jealous seeing people getting their cars...Maybe I should've paid the extra $20K for the bigger battery just to get my car sooner :p

configuration:

WooHoo Stephen! SO happy for you! The white MS looks so nice going down the road! Saw one near Ward Center a couple of weeks ago. Styling!
Have fun with your new toy! We eagerly await a report on your experience.
Thanks for the cost info too, insurance seems really reasonable.
:smile: Have fun!

Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

WOW!!! This car is so much fun to launch! Big Tesla grin on me for sure. Must stay out of trouble...must stay out of trouble...must stay out of trouble....
If I repeat this to myself it may work

Barry Abe, awesome guy to have as our service rep. He's obviously swamped with work and pretty much has no days off. True Tesla believer and Tesla is lucky to have him.

To answer your question 808oman, you still have to do all of your own paperwork with the state. I picked it up late today, so I will have to go through this on Monday. In the meantime, gotta try to keep a low profile. Who am I kidding. I'm driving it every chance I get.

Despite religiously reading these forums and watching all of the instructional videos from Tesla and the Ben Goodwin youtube vids, I still found myself fumbling for how to operate everything, lol! I guess it's just a matter of repetition to make it become second nature.

More detailed report to follow. Gotta get more road time :smile:

Anybody here driving a silver Model S east bound on H1 and getting off at the Vineyard Blvd exit around 4:50 PM today? Saw you after you had already passed. :)

If he was driving like a crack adict that had just got his fix, probably could have been me.
if he was driving like he was driving miss daisy it was probably someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Im stil waiting for Solar City to get approval from the city to do my 14-50 plug.
My loan through Navy Federal Credit Union for 72 mos. was at 1.79%
I went with Allstate and got a rate similar to progressive quote.($648 with optional new vehicle replacement if current vehicle is totaled)
I got some detail spray that I have been using daily to attack the bird poop after the birds attack my MS. (in open parking lot at work with no trees or wires above me and they still manage to bomb me...)
I should probably get some Zaino for my next wash.

I also discovered that the Parking lot at Dole Cannery just installed a Volta charger on the third floor near the elevators. It still has the protective wrap on it. Hopefully it will be open soon.

Last edited:
Bingo! :lol:

Congrats StephenM on getting your car! Still waiting on ours ....

Stopped at Walmart last night. The Blink charger was occupied by an ICE vehicle. After I found a parking space in the crowded lot I was on my way to notify the two security people standing near the enterance talking with each other (not doing their job) when I notice the offender arriving back at his vehicle. I pointed out the sign and the bix box with a big thick wire coming out of it. He denied seing these and said he was going to leave. of course he was, his wife was almost done loading the bags into the car....
after scolding the ICE driver I eventually made it down to where the two security people were still taking and hadn't move since the first time I saw them. they said thank you to me, but the expression on their face told a less interested tale.

My cousin (who has a VOLT) says he run into that same situation a bunch of times..he even complained to Costco since a lot of ICEs park in the EV parking only stalls...they kind of just blew him off like those security guards did to you...Even though an ICE can get fined for parking in EV parking, doesn't seem like anyone is enforcing it :mad:

Stopped at Walmart last night. The Blink charger was occupied by an ICE vehicle. After I found a parking space in the crowded lot I was on my way to notify the two security people standing near the enterance talking with each other (not doing their job) when I notice the offender arriving back at his vehicle. I pointed out the sign and the bix box with a big thick wire coming out of it. He denied seing these and said he was going to leave. of course he was, his wife was almost done loading the bags into the car....
after scolding the ICE driver I eventually made it down to where the two security people were still taking and hadn't move since the first time I saw them. they said thank you to me, but the expression on their face told a less interested tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.