Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make sense to buy a Pre-Paid Anywhere service plan with Ranger service on Oahu?

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this. The plans have just become available and those folks with delivered cars will need to make a decision soon. The rest of us will need to decide soon after taking delivery. Certainly the Anywhere Ranger plans make sense on the outer islands. But I'm wondering about Oahu.

Here is a quote from an email I received Friday from ace Tesla rep, Walter Franck, in response to some questions about the plans:

The 4 year Anywhere plan includes Ranger visits for any reason. The visits may be limited by scheduling and availability, unlimited Ranger visits can be for either warranty issue or non warranty issue. [underline mine]

It is difficult to imagine Hawaii having enough Rangers to make frequent house calls anytime in the foreseeable future. Barry will have his hands full just working out of the Service Center and traveling to the outer islands for emergencies. We could schedule Ranger visits, sure. But if it were weeks before Barry had the time free to come out to Oahu homes we would probably wind up taking our cars to the Service Center for the smaller things anyway just to expedite them. For the bigger things we'd need to get our cars to the Service Center regardless. So I'm wondering about the real life, practical value of the Anywhere plans for Oahu.

What do you think? Has anyone asked Barry his opinion yet? His input would be helpful.

Last edited:
@ddruz, Good question. Even better answers from yourself as you seem to debate it with yourself. :) I see your point about Barry having his hands full at the SC and even with scheduled calls not being able to visit for weeks. That's highly likely. But then again that's a standard service call. What about an emergency on our part? I'm a single man. I am selling my truck when my S arrives, I won't have a second vehicle as a backup. (Good idea - bad idea - your thoughts, please?) So, for those of us that could find we need an emergency jump/bump from the SC, would he make us a priority? I think we stand a good chance, - I want to believe it anyway. So the price of that one call in the year would be at least $100 for the Ranger.

What's the cost extra for the unlimited Ranger calls? $ 500 (or $ 125 per year) And on the basic plan the Ranger visits are $ 100 each visit? Looks like just one visit in a year/per year would almost break even (well $125 is close enough to $100 to make my point). So, the extra total of $500 could be pay for itself with just one visit per year. Can we think of the difference of $500 (equal to $125 a year) as an insurance policy that we have a good chance of using to pay for that first at least $ 100 Ranger visit. I think I have just talked myself into do unlimited Ranger plan.

Does 24 hour road assistance come stardard with the warranty? Do we need to hedge our warranty with the 4 year plan/w Ranger to insure roadside service to include flat tires? I mean there's the $700 tire and wheel plan. That's $ 175 a year. It covers tire repair. But wouldn't Ranger service - anywhere cover a flat tire on H1 or H3? Is the insurance of tire replacement worth $ 175 to Oahu owners? Looks to me that I could buy the $2400 Plan with Ranger and get roadside service for a flat even if they don't replace the tire. Does anyone else see that too?

Next question: Is the 4 year extension worth it? I think I read it can be transferred to a new owner for $ 100. Is that a bonus for anyone that even might be looking to sell their S in a couple of years and buy a new Super S? Look like an reasonable expectation or rationale idea. Comments?

Certainly before I finally decide I am going to do as ddruz suggest, ...ask Barry his opinion.

I have about 8 months and I am retiring from my job. I will have a bit more time to hang out at the SC when I take my S there versus needing to drop it off. Did one of these plans offer a loaner while the S was being serviced?

Anyone know if the SC in Waipahu will have a customer lounge or will we need to bring our own recliner and flat screen while we wait?

@Akikiki - In response to the question about towing and flat tires and Ranger service, I received the following answer by email yesterday once again from ace rep Walter Franck. It looks like they will tow a dead car into the SC for free from just about anywhere on Oahu under the Roadside Assistance plan that comes standard with all cars. Then if it's going to take more than 4 hours to fix, you'll get a loaner under any of the pre-paid service plans.

If Model S is not drivable you will be able use the 24/7 Roadside Assistance program which will transport your Model S for 50 miles either to your home or a service center (minimum $300 charge beyond 50 miles). Service centers will provide a loaner vehicle if the repair is expected to take more than 4 hours.

If your Model S cannot be fixed at your home and needs to be transported to a service center that would be considered part of the Ranger service. Wheel alignments for example would need specialized equipment, so the Ranger would arrange transporting the vehicle to a service center and then back to your home.

The normal roadside assistance program will also assist in flat tires or a blowout. The Tire and Wheel replacement program offers a plan to cover the costs of a repair or replacement of the tires or rims that are damaged. If your vehicle needs to be towed outside the range of the 50 mile Roadside Assistance program the Tire replacement program will reimburse up to $60.00 for towing or flat tire changing assistance.

@ddruz, Thanks. - What's your thoughts on the Tire & Wheel replacement plan? Worth it or not as good a deal.

$700 would go a long ways towards paying for a new set of tires when needed or even earlier than expected if serious damaged occurred from our roads.
In all my years of driving muscle cars in the 70's plus two 280Zs and three Vettes, in the 80's I never broke and had to buy a replacement wheel. Even if we have some of the worse roads in the good old US of A, I would take my chances of needing to buy a replacement wheel.

The loaner is a nice benefit when service exceeds 4 hours.

In general, I view Tesla as a partner in this with us - some where between reasonable and meeting us more than half way on many things than as an adversary.

I don't think having unlimited ranger visits are necessary on Oahu. Pretty much everywhere is within 50 miles of the Waipahu service center, so any major malfunction should be covered by the service plan which would flat bed tow your car there. Is the wheel/tire insurance worth it? It depends if you ended up needing it, lol! That's always a tricky one to answer.

@Papafox - I got a membership with PenFed since it got such great reviews on the forums here. It's super easy. All you have to do is make a $15 donation to one of the two charities they suggest, and you're in. I didn't end up going with them because they had a cap on how much they would loan on a new car (I think it was $70k) and I found a better deal with Navy Federal Credit Union which could loan any amount and had a great rate too. Only catch with NFCU is that it takes some kind of affiliation with the military or a military family member may sponsor you in if they have an account with them.

StephenM, Thanks for the info re financing. I have no need to finance over $70K and so I'll pursue the PenFed alternative. I'll give a report here on how it works out.

RE Rangers- I'll be checking out the Waipahu Service Center location tomorrow (it's on my way to work). If there's a Starbucks or similar cafe within walking distance, the worst case scenario (four hours waiting in Waipahu) might not be so bad if you bring a laptop and have internet access.

@ddruz, Thanks. - What's your thoughts on the Tire & Wheel replacement plan? Worth it or not as good a deal.

For the 19" tires I personally don't think the Tire & Wheel plan is a great value given the cost / benefit and I will be passing on it. For 21" tires it might be more of a consideration but my car will not have those so I haven't given it much thought. I base my opinion on my 29 years experience driving here and gut feel, not on any scholarly actuarial analysis so please take it in that light.

@Akikiki - In response to the question about towing and flat tires and Ranger service, I received the following answer by email yesterday once again from ace rep Walter Franck. It looks like they will tow a dead car into the SC for free from just about anywhere on Oahu under the Roadside Assistance plan that comes standard with all cars. Then if it's going to take more than 4 hours to fix, you'll get a loaner under any of the pre-paid service plans.

If Model S is not drivable you will be able use the 24/7 Roadside Assistance program which will transport your Model S for 50 miles either to your home or a service center (minimum $300 charge beyond 50 miles). Service centers will provide a loaner vehicle if the repair is expected to take more than 4 hours.

If your Model S cannot be fixed at your home and needs to be transported to a service center that would be considered part of the Ranger service. Wheel alignments for example would need specialized equipment, so the Ranger would arrange transporting the vehicle to a service center and then back to your home.

The normal roadside assistance program will also assist in flat tires or a blowout. The Tire and Wheel replacement program offers a plan to cover the costs of a repair or replacement of the tires or rims that are damaged. If your vehicle needs to be towed outside the range of the 50 mile Roadside Assistance program the Tire replacement program will reimburse up to $60.00 for towing or flat tire changing assistance.

ddruz:
Is roadside assistance free if the tow is less than 50 miles? Is it included without signing up for any plans? I am a bit confused, because the tire & wheel service plan mentioned reimbursement of only up to $60 if towing was required. I got stalled next to the Pali off ramp (Ewa bound) a few years back, but because it was after 6 pm & a weekend, I was charged $175--$60 wouldn't help much under that scenario.

ddruz:
Is roadside assistance free if the tow is less than 50 miles? Is it included without signing up for any plans? I am a bit confused, because the tire & wheel service plan mentioned reimbursement of only up to $60 if towing was required. I got stalled next to the Pali off ramp (Ewa bound) a few years back, but because it was after 6 pm & a weekend, I was charged $175--$60 wouldn't help much under that scenario.

@solar powered - Your questions are exactly the kind that prompted my email to the Tesla rep. You have read his exact response but in my understanding, yes, a tow is free under the Roadside Assistance program if it is less than 50 miles. The Roadside Assistance program is included with the purchase of the car so it does not cost extra. I cannot tell you for how many years following purchase the Roadside Assistance program lasts, however. Its details should be set out in the final MVPA. Perhaps someone who has received their car can check.

I scouted the Tesla Service Center in Waipahu today, at 94-480 Akoki St. The center had many Tesla Model S cars inside, certainly more than half a dozen. "X" marks the location of the service center on the map. Barry Abe was there and I briefly said hello, but it was clear that he is up to his earlobes in work and needed to be left alone to get the work done. I suspect the cars inside will all be delivered within the next three or four days in order to get them out the door in the first quarter. We have some lucky Hawaii Tesla owners who will get their cars later this week. I would recommend against visiting the service center, as Barry is focused on getting cars to owners right now and doesn't have time for casual visitors.

I drove around the neighborhood, but it is mostly industrial and not filled with the kind of hang-out places like Starbucks and Jamba Juice. It doesn't look like a particularly choice spot to spend a few hours, but perhaps they'll build a customer lounge or someone will discover a suitable place for spending time. I have attached an excerpt from a google map that shows the location of various nearby businesses.
TeslaWaipahu.jpg

Last edited:
Does it make sense to buy a Pre-Paid Anywhere service plan with Ranger service on Oahu?

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this. The plans have just become available and those folks with delivered cars will need to make a decision soon. The rest of us will need to decide soon after taking delivery. Certainly the Anywhere Ranger plans make sense on the outer islands. But I'm wondering about Oahu.

Here is a quote from an email I received Friday from ace Tesla rep, Walter Franck, in response to some questions about the plans:

The 4 year Anywhere plan includes Ranger visits for any reason. The visits may be limited by scheduling and availability, unlimited Ranger visits can be for either warranty issue or non warranty issue. [underline mine]

It is difficult to imagine Hawaii having enough Rangers to make frequent house calls anytime in the foreseeable future. Barry will have his hands full just working out of the Service Center and traveling to the outer islands for emergencies. We could schedule Ranger visits, sure. But if it were weeks before Barry had the time free to come out to Oahu homes we would probably wind up taking our cars to the Service Center for the smaller things anyway just to expedite them. For the bigger things we'd need to get our cars to the Service Center regardless. So I'm wondering about the real life, practical value of the Anywhere plans for Oahu.

What do you think? Has anyone asked Barry his opinion yet? His input would be helpful.

I wrestled with the $100/per ranger service vs unlimited ranger service ever since they first anounced the plans. I didn't decide until I actually had to click my choice. I went with the unlimited Ranger service. It just came down to whether I thought I would have more than 5 Ranger calls in 4 Years to equal the price difference. My answer was I hope not, but If I did (or I was just too busy/lazy to bring my vehicle to the SC) then it would just be one less thing to worry about.
I was similarly conflicted about the wheel and tire package. I had declined it on all my past cars feeling it was unneccessary. after driving my car through the pot holes, soft rubber compound on the 21" tires and the narrow sidewall, I opted for it, again just for peace of mind. I had a bent rim on my last car and it turned out cheaper to buy a new rim instead of fixing the old one. If I had to do that on my MS (with the cost of just one 21" rim) that would equal the cost of the plan itself...

on a different item: I just recieved my HPWC yesterday. Not sure what I am going to do with it, since I decided to have solar city install a NIMA 14-50 plug in my condo parking stall.

While I am waiting on my parcel shelf I went to Home Depot and got a piece of 1/4" plywood (2' X 4') and cut it to 40-1/4" wide. It fits right into the rails for the Parcel Shelf and then I place my footwell cover on top of that to make it blend. I can still see about 2" of plywood but it only cost me about $8 and it will do the trick while I wait.

Last edited:
Car arrived tonight. First impression - if this is the acceleration of a 60 kWh car, a performance 85 must be frightening. Some minor quibbles but overall, it's a fantastic vehicle.

A picture of a dirty garage housing a slight dirty silver 60 kWh Model S (stupid rain)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364460590.444987.jpg

@Spleen - Congratulations!!!! It looks spectacular! If you don't mind sharing, what are your minor quibbles?

@dsmith - Would you mind posting a picture of your temporary parcel shelf? Sounds like a great idea. Do you think something like it could be modified to be permanent for those who did not order a parcel shelf?

dsmith, I like your analysis of the unlimited ranger service. That's my thinking too.

About your HPWC. It was my understanding from the TM site that it is for 80 amp circuits. What's your understanding? Will it work on less than 80 amp circuits? Would it work on say, 40 amp and the HPWC would not cause the wiring back to the service box to get too hot? I mean, I am using as a frame of reference that if the HPWC is designed to feed the S faster at a higher rate that the circuit has too support it. If its going to work on a 40 amp circuit, like the mobile connector would, then its basically just a prettier/fancy version of a mobile connector and cost a lot more.

- - - Updated - - -

Spleen, Congratulations again. Its beautiful. Its looks like its doing 50 MPH sitting there. What dirty garage? Where? All I see is Tessie.

On the fence now. My previous cars have been 300 HP and 350 HP, although I don't necessarily drive with a lead foot. I have a 40 KWH on order - that would be enough for my daily 12 mile round trip commute. Those of you here in Hawaii that ordered the 60 KWH - what caused you to think the 40 wouldn't suit your needs? I just spoke with a Tesla rep and they said it is possible that I could upgrade my order at this time. Considering it, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

On the fence now. My previous cars have been 300 HP and 350 HP, although I don't necessarily drive with a lead foot. I have a 40 KWH on order - that would be enough for my daily 12 mile round trip commute. Those of you here in Hawaii that ordered the 60 KWH - what caused you to think the 40 wouldn't suit your needs? I just spoke with a Tesla rep and they said it is possible that I could upgrade my order at this time. Considering it, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

We wanted the extra cushion for battery degradation in the future, better performance, and the earlier delivery,

Small issues with the car / delivery process - 1) delivery felt a little disorganized. DS thought that we were picking up at service center instead of home delivery which apparently caused a mad scramble for them to figure out if there was a truck available. Car was just dropped off without any DS involvement and apparently there is no plan for the DS to meet with us. We were asked whether we had viewed the video or not and nobody had actually sent us the link to it (I had it from my involvement here at TMC but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have even known about the video much less had a chance to see it). I was able to get the car set up for my parents' driver profiles and get their phones linked (more on that later) and get HomeLink up and running but doubt that they would have been able to do it on their own. In a traditional car dealership, I suspect that their salesperson would have been the one to do the set up. Would have appreciated an one page synopsis of what to do to get the car registered and state tax oaid as well. 2) car glitches - sitting in the car and doing all the set up, suddenly discovered that the windows which had been rolled down previously would not roll up or work sporadically. It would start moving an inch, then stop, and then refuse to move. Turning the car off completely and turning it back on got the windows to work normally again but will have to see if it recurs. Also, while the iPhones in the family all paired up without issues, could not get 2 Sanyo phones to pair through Bluetooth. May have to get my mom to upgrade her phone to get phone pairing to work, lol.

Just some thoughts. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, nothing on due bill.

Well my decision is made. They just called back and said that the order has been submitted to the factory and the parts have been ordered so cannot change it at this time. He said that the 40's will start production in April and at that time I will receive a email with a smaller delivery window.

I was just about to call them since other threads have conflicting stories about 40kwh production starting in July! Started debating on whether I should get the 60kwh battery to get it sooner if that's the case. What's your reservation # and configuration?

Well my decision is made. They just called back and said that the order has been submitted to the factory and the parts have been ordered so cannot change it at this time. He said that the 40's will start production in April and at that time I will receive a email with a smaller delivery window.

Status
Not open for further replies.