Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@JKAM
First to answer your question. Yes, Barry is going to get 5 or 6 more people. Mechanics, porter, detailer, admin type. Yes, he's successfully doing too much for one person. I hope for him that he gets them before he's burned out. He was in there yesterday working past 3 p.m. on my car. On Easter? That's doing what it takes to help TM and the customer.

Here's a thought about the 40 vs 60 issue. ddruz mentions that it might not be a good idea to upgrade now. RodF says it would cost $11,000 later. But there's so many possiblities. Anything could happen. Let's play what if. What if Tesla saw an untapped resource going to waste. They might have a great idea for marketing and PR and good will. Maybe on an anniversary or end of end of quarter, the might over a "special" and let you "buy" your other 20 KW not for $10 or $11K but $ 5K. That would be a decent influx of capital X the number of 40 holders and all they would have to do is enable your software. It easily could be justifiable in the name of an celebration.

Throttling back the 60 to a 40 makes me wonder if our 60's are 85's already throttled back. The car weights the same doesn't it? Hmmmm? What else could be enabled.? A "Sale-bration" also of allowing up to pay for SuperCharging at a discounted rate? hmmm?

I don't think Tesla will be running any promotions to convert the 40's up to the 60's. There's no need. There's only 4% of 40 owners (which is a small #) plus it costs Tesla nothing to keep them at the 40 level. It will be an owner decision if they want the extra range.

- - - Updated - - -

808oman, Did you have to go the (I think this is the name) Vehicle Compliance office? The one where he verifies your VIN is on the car and on the documents.
If it was necessary, where is it, please?. Then pay your excise tax?

Where did you go for your safety inspection? Was it the first MS that they had?

spleen, here's a couple at the SC

View attachment 19421View attachment 19422

CONGRATS Akikiki - All the best!!!

Hawaiiskibum, I've got one picture of the dark red 85 that Barry has at the SC. Its been there now a least 1 maybe 2 months. You might be able to be the first to get a "deal" talking to TM. I am sure they are tired of it sitting there. It's beautiful. I am not sure, it might be a Signature. Beige interior I believe. Take a drive by, you might avoid your wait. I will post the pic of the dark red tonite. Might be that nanimac put one in her group back on page 47, I think.[/QUOTE]

yup, red one is a signature and is "used". Someone on the Big Island wasn't happy with it and returned it! Barry says he forwarded everyone's info who's interested to Tesla sales but we haven't heard anything. Could be they're too busy getting out new Teslas to figure out pricing on a used one?

yup, red one is a signature and is "used". Someone on the Big Island wasn't happy with it and returned it! Barry says he forwarded everyone's info who's interested to Tesla sales but we haven't heard anything. Could be they're too busy getting out new Teslas to figure out pricing on a used one?

Just curious, how does one return a car because one was not happy with it? Is that a valid excuse to return a car? It would seem to me that if one was unhappy with the car, one would have to try to sell it on one's own, not send it back to the manufacturer.

Perhaps Tesla is taking it back on consignment or some other arrangement, but it seems odd that one can send a car back because one isn't happy with it.

Just curious, how does one return a car because one was not happy with it? Is that a valid excuse to return a car? It would seem to me that if one was unhappy with the car, one would have to try to sell it on one's own, not send it back to the manufacturer.

Perhaps Tesla is taking it back on consignment or some other arrangement, but it seems odd that one can send a car back because one isn't happy with it.

Yeah, not sure what happened. Inquired with Tesla regarding the silver one at the SC and asked about the sig red one. They left me a message saying they couldn't find any record of the sig red one. Probably why no one has gotten back to us about it..

Yeah, not sure what happened. Inquired with Tesla regarding the silver one at the SC and asked about the sig red one. They left me a message saying they couldn't find any record of the sig red one. Probably why no one has gotten back to us about it..

Kind of begs the question: why are these cars available? In the case of the Signature red, it seems like it was paid for and the owner had some misgivings and sent it back. Odd to me.

In the case of the extra silver and white (?) ones that are available from the Oahu service center, why are those available for purchase? Tesla shipped the car as reserved, but the person didn't come up with the final payment?

And if it is happening here, I'm sure it is happening elsewhere in the country. I wonder how big a problem it is - people not consummating the transaction?

Kind of begs the question: why are these cars available? In the case of the Signature red, it seems like it was paid for and the owner had some misgivings and sent it back. Odd to me.

In the case of the extra silver and white (?) ones that are available from the Oahu service center, why are those available for purchase? Tesla shipped the car as reserved, but the person didn't come up with the final payment?

And if it is happening here, I'm sure it is happening elsewhere in the country. I wonder how big a problem it is - people not consummating the transaction?

My thoughts exactly. I was actually surprised that there was "inventory" as Telsa calls it at the SC. And am shocked that someone would actually "return" a Tesla! Oh well..their loss will be someone else's gain :)

Complaince Office

No, you don't have to go to the compliance office, where modified vehicles have to go for recon.

I took mine for safety at Hawaiian Auto Tire and they gave me the temporary safety, then went to pay the tax (830 Punchbowl) then to the DMV and then back to get the safety sticker.

FYI, for all of you...check your Bill of Sale. After my registration was all done and complete and I already went home, got a call that the bill of sale wasn't signed by Tesla. I am sure if they saw that prior to handing me the registration and plates, that would have been another trip back.

808oman, Did you have to go the (I think this is the name) Vehicle Compliance office? The one where he verifies your VIN is on the car and on the documents.
If it was necessary, where is it, please?. Then pay your excise tax?

Where did you go for your safety inspection? Was it the first MS that they had?

spleen, here's a couple at the SC

View attachment 19421View attachment 19422

Electric Motorcycle

electromoto.jpg

Spotted at Whole Foods Kailua this week, taking on juice

- - - Updated - - -

40 KWH Confirmation and Delivery
Today I called Tesla to let them know my preferences toward the 60Kwh battery and Supercharger option (no and no at this time). The person I spoke with said he will make a note of my selections and allow the car to move along to production. If you have a 40kwh model on order, be sure to call, even if you don't plan to say yes to either option. Out of curiosity, I told the Tesla rep my reservation sequence number, and he said that these numbers aren't really pertinent anymore since Tesla is moving the orders into production in short order. He said he thought a completion date of late May and delivery in Hawaii in early June was a probable timeframe, but it could be sooner. My guess is that it's blind luck these days with the batching that Tesla does. You may luck out and your options fall into a timely 60kwh run, or you may have to wait while a bunch of 85kwh cars are made before your particular combination comes up for a batch run.

- - - Updated - - -

40 KWH Confirmation and Delivery
Today I called Tesla to let them know my preferences toward the 60Kwh battery and Supercharger option (no and no at this time). The person I spoke with said he will make a note of my selections and allow the car to move along to production. If you have a 40kwh model on order, be sure to call, even if you don't plan to say yes to either option. Out of curiosity, I told the Tesla rep my reservation sequence number, and he said that these numbers aren't really pertinent anymore since Tesla is moving the orders into production in short order. He said he thought a completion date of late May and delivery in Hawaii in early June was a probable timeframe, but it could be sooner. My guess is that it's blind luck these days with the batching that Tesla does. You may luck out and your options fall into a timely 60kwh run, or you may have to wait while a bunch of 85kwh cars are made before your particular combination comes up for a batch run.

Thanks for the great tip. I thought about it when I got the email but never acted on it. Will do so first thing tomorrow!

808oman, thanks. You are right. I haven't got enough paperwork yet to start, but I went by the Kaneohe Satelitte City Hall yesterday and bounced some of my paperwork off them. The clerk argued with me that I was buying a large 18 wheel trailer, not a car. After I got passed that she talked to her boss and they came back saying that I need this and that, but don't need to go to "that state office". So it looks like if you whine just enough, the DMV's are starting recognize there's a car manufacture in CA. Gasp !

- - - Updated - - -

TM changed their web site last night. Removed the 40 Kw references, but added Performance Plus package ($ 6,500).

The 70 oz front carpet mats that I ordered from CoverKing arrived. Really thick pile. Comfortable.

P.S. I think someone mentioned the TM screws for installing tags are Allen wrench. On closer look and a test, they are Torx 20.

No, you don't have to go to the compliance office, where modified vehicles have to go for recon.

I took mine for safety at Hawaiian Auto Tire and they gave me the temporary safety, then went to pay the tax (830 Punchbowl) then to the DMV and then back to get the safety sticker.

FYI, for all of you...check your Bill of Sale. After my registration was all done and complete and I already went home, got a call that the bill of sale wasn't signed by Tesla. I am sure if they saw that prior to handing me the registration and plates, that would have been another trip back.

Funny that you mention this .... we just got a phone call from the Satellite City Hall who processed our registration. They said that they need a bill of sale from Tesla that's NOTARIZED in order to complete the registration process. I wasn't the one that took the phone call so I don't have any further details than that. I have a phone call into Robert to clarify the documents and see if Tesla can generate one. Also need to talk to the person who took the phone call (my father) to see if the C&C official left a contact # to clarify the requirement.

808oman - what are you doing for the signature? C&C had suggested just having Barry sign off on it but not sure if that's appropriate.

Funny that you mention this .... we just got a phone call from the Satellite City Hall who processed our registration. They said that they need a bill of sale from Tesla that's NOTARIZED in order to complete the registration process. I wasn't the one that took the phone call so I don't have any further details than that. I have a phone call into Robert to clarify the documents and see if Tesla can generate one. Also need to talk to the person who took the phone call (my father) to see if the C&C official left a contact # to clarify the requirement.

808oman - what are you doing for the signature? C&C had suggested just having Barry sign off on it but not sure if that's appropriate.

Spleen, you should have the notarized Bill of sale from tesla in your delivery docs... the one they sent me is the CS-L(MVR) 40 (Rev 11/08) Bill of sale from the HI registry web site. It was notarized by someone at Tesla in CA. (see image)
BOS.png

Solar powered, Yes he's open on Sat. I think he finds himself there some Sundays too, but I just would not expect him to be there. He was there last Sunday making changes to my car because TM wanted him there. But he was his usual self, all smiles and ambassador. He was taken away from his family on Easter and didn't get to them until after 3 and never complained. wow.

I got my papers from TM today. I checked my BoS, it shows signatures at the bottom and a notary stamp.
You folks that might have to get another BoS from TM, at least you already have your tags and are just paying DMV back. That's not so bad.

Someone on TM or TMC forum had a link to a small cell phone strap or mini-QD-Loop that's just the right size for the fob. I bought some extras and I am going to drop them off at the SC tomorrow. Ask Barry if you want one. Its a little thing but you might find it useful. I need to go pickup my bill of lading.

Folks, For anyone that has not navigated the path to getting your registration, here's a little detail on the DoTax's Use Tax process.
The building is at 830 Punchbowl. That's down near the Federal Building. Sort of the corner of Punchbowl and Halekauwila on the Federal building side of the street. If I had it to do over, I would park at Restaurant Row and walk back up the street about a block. When you get inside the building, to the Tax Dept, there is a ticket kiosk and you select a button for your requirement. Pick an "A" ticket. They told me it was not a busy day, yesterday. And I spent about 90 minutes there with only 12 numbers ahead of me. You will need Form G27 and G26. Might as well take them prepared.
They particularly want to see your Bill of Lading and your final Tesla Configuration page that shows the details of your car. Forms are at:
http://www.state.hi.us/tax/a1_b2_1geuse.htm

You will need the Bill of Lading at the DMV too. DMV is really picky about the color (yellow) of the Bill of Lading and if its an original from Mason. Mine was not, and DMV had me doing a tap dance for a while.

Folks, For anyone that has not navigated the path to getting your registration, here's a little detail on the DoTax's Use Tax process.
The building is at 830 Punchbowl. That's down near the Federal Building. Sort of the corner of Punchbowl and Halekauwila on the Federal building side of the street. If I had it to do over, I would park at Restaurant Row and walk back up the street about a block. When you get inside the building, to the Tax Dept, there is a ticket kiosk and you select a button for your requirement. Pick an "A" ticket. They told me it was not a busy day, yesterday. And I spent about 90 minutes there with only 12 numbers ahead of me. You will need Form G27 and G26. Might as well take them prepared.
They particularly want to see your Bill of Lading and your final Tesla Configuration page that shows the details of your car. Forms are at:
http://www.state.hi.us/tax/a1_b2_1geuse.htm

You will need the Bill of Lading at the DMV too. DMV is really picky about the color (yellow) of the Bill of Lading and if its an original from Mason. Mine was not, and DMV had me doing a tap dance for a while.

Akikiki, did you see the two EV designated parking spots right next to the door? waaay back when I didnt' have my MS, I circled the block with my old ICE car looking for street parking and finally parked accross from the enterance to Resturant Row. as soon as I put $$$ in the meter, the driver of the truck delivering my car called and said he was ahead of schedule and would be at my apt in 15 minutes. quick trip home and took delivery of my car. when I returned I was able to park in the EV stalls with no problems (on any of my multiple trips to the tax office).

Yes, they were real picky about my BOL. I had the version that was emailed to me. the version that I signed when the flatbed dropped the car off. the copy that was over the visor in the car... you get the idea.... my problem with them was that they were not all copies of the same document, some were computer generated and some were pre-printed forms. ...and none showed the shipping costs. aaaahhh

Akikiki, did you see the two EV designated parking spots right next to the door? waaay back when I didnt' have my MS, I circled the block with my old ICE car looking for street parking and finally parked accross from the enterance to Resturant Row. as soon as I put $$$ in the meter, the driver of the truck delivering my car called and said he was ahead of schedule and would be at my apt in 15 minutes. quick trip home and took delivery of my car. when I returned I was able to park in the EV stalls with no problems (on any of my multiple trips to the tax office).

Yes, they were real picky about my BOL. I had the version that was emailed to me. the version that I signed when the flatbed dropped the car off. the copy that was over the visor in the car... you get the idea.... my problem with them was that they were not all copies of the same document, some were computer generated and some were pre-printed forms. ...and none showed the shipping costs. aaaahhh

dsmith, Seems like you too had some of the hassle about the BOL that I did. Those without a cost are almost worthless to this process. I hope the rest of you don't. Its not a comfortable feeling that you are in their hands and they can decide one-way or the other to accept it or not. If not, you go back to Square 1.

One of the things that both DoTax and DMV want to know and expect to see it on the BOL, is the actualy date it landed. There's some sticker or post-it like not that ordinarily accompanys the BOL that they both said they were looking for and I didn't have it. I tried, 'well I don't know when it got here, what's worse case? Just charge me like to the beginning of the month or year when figuring my use tax, if you must". He said, "that's why we want the date it got here to charge you specifically from that date to today too, but we can't just charge you from the beginning of the month even though you are willing." Folks, do yourself the favor, do your best to get that harder copy yellow copy BOL to avoid the trouble.

No, did not see the EV parking space. I had only driven my MS to get the Blue safety sticker and didn't want to take any chances. So, I was driving my ICE Truck. Worse, I didn't know where 830 Punchbowl was and I parked at the corner of Bertania and Punchbowl in an underground garage. Then hoofed it what seemed like 100 blocks south to find 830. By the time I got there, my eyes had rolled to the back of my head and I was seeing spaceships and stars. I'd only have seen the EV spaces if I had collapsed face down in them. (I'm an old man.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.