Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question re: registration - I am planning to have both my wife and I as joint registered owners, but does that complicate the registration process? Will both of us have to be present at all the places that you needed to go to get the car registered? If too much of a hassle, I will just put it under my name. I needed to let Tesla know how the car will be owned. Thanks.
A question - does anyone know if a "special plate", on an electric car - qualify for pulling into a "parking lot" EV charging station that says - special plate required? Yes, of course I ordered a Hawaii special plate with my kid's initials - folks at DMV said no problem - but the wording on the sign in the underground parking garages has me scratching my head - perhaps I'm over-thinking this issue as not much is enforced here in Hawaii!

Oh noes!! Early adopter blues.... My MS is bricked in my garage. Had an almost full charge when I left it last night. As soon as I got in the car there were 4 warnings listed on the dash saying the 12v battery was low and to pull over to the side of the road as the car can shut down at any time. Then it shut down, everything went black and it's completely unresponsive. Put in a call to Barry and got voicemail.

StephenM, Sorry to hear this. When I was there two weeks ago, he had two extras. I suspect Barry will be able to get you on the road again quickly. Sorry you are having this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

hodges, Aloha, welcome to the tmc forum. I think I understand your issue and your question. When I was registering my car and getting my tags, the DMV folks said, I could get an EV tag or a Vanity tag, but not a Vanity EV Tag. Am just guessing mind you, but I think the reference you saw about special plate meant EV plate. And the vanity plate you mention does not say your vehicle is an EV. I would guess the parking lot authority was saying you could park/use if you were "authenicated" by the state as a EV via your EV plate. But don't depend on me. I recommend you call that parking lot management and ask for clarification.

Last edited:
Ddruz, Congrats!! so happy for you! Tesla Grin!!:biggrin:

StephenM, very sorry to hear of the problem! Huge bummer. Please keep us updated on resolution.

I received my delivery button last week but was rushing to go on a trip so didn't get to post. Delivery window 5/15-5/30. Yikes, it's getting close!

VIN - Hawaii Vanity Plates

RodF, Wow. I was reading on TM about how some of the 40 owners were getting their VINs in the 95xx 96xx range. And now yours has jumped to 10,5xx that's a lot of 40s produced in a short time. Wow. Great news for you.

I got my VIN last WED and the VIN was X9329, with a promised end of assembly line last Friday - and a delivery date between 8-22 May. DS, MAC said - should go to boat - processing 3 days, 10 days enroute, 3 days off boat - final delivery - soon. Since I don't really care when I get it - seemed ok to me. None of this has shown up on the APP YET!

BTW, 60- Pearl White - NO pano - Tech, Keiki Seats, Suspension...hopefully 4 tires and lot's of batteries!

Thanks for answer on Vanity Plates - I think I'm going to use the Aloha Spirt - Get my boys Initials on Vanity Plates - park where I want to and have them prove it's not an Electric Vehicle and only a DMV admin error - of course I sometimes like being "Dead Wrong".

hodges, you are welcome for my interpretation of what the sign means. If you learn different later, correct me. I get such a kick out of passing cars and trucks at 60+ on H3 and as I pull away from them, they see my EV tag. That's gotta make them both envious and sick that an EV can leave them in the dust. Its worth foregoing the vanity plate just for that. hahaha. I hope for you the best in your adventure proving to DMV or the Police of their error because you are EV. That will be a fun hobby.

FYI, there's a setting on the center console that enables or disables remote access on the car. That's the switch that its not turned on by default that allows the app to work and let you in. It will just kick you out at the login screen if the e-switch is not set to allow remote access. There's reports on TM and TMC of remote access being turned on at EOL and others not until its delivered. It seems some what random. Some folks were able to blow the horn and flash the lights while the car was in transit playing jokes on the drivers.

Congrats Ddruz on getting your car and Hawaiiskibum on your quickly approaching delivery date..what is your config?
Thanks nanimac! Expecting 60/arrest me RED/pano/tech/air/parcel shelf. Despite the fact that I am dying to get my car, my schedule is crazy busy at the moment and I am hoping that delivery will occur in early June. Wondering if I'm going to be first red or someone else beat me to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my VIN last WED and the VIN was X9329, with a promised end of assembly line last Friday - and a delivery date between 8-22 May. DS, MAC said - should go to boat - processing 3 days, 10 days enroute, 3 days off boat - final delivery - soon. Since I don't really care when I get it - seemed ok to me. None of this has shown up on the APP YET!
How did you get your VIN if it hasn't shown up on the App yet? Did they call you or send you an email? After I got the delivery button and completed the questionnaire, I received confirmation that they received it, then nothing. I was expecting a call, but no contact yet. I will exercise patience since I'm not in a huge rush, but I'm hoping they don't expect me to send them money immediately after they tell me my car is ready. (OK, yes, I will jump thru whatever hoops necessary, but I'd really like some time). Sorry for venting.

How did you get your VIN if it hasn't shown up on the App yet? Did they call you or send you an email? After I got the delivery button and completed the questionnaire, I received confirmation that they received it, then nothing. I was expecting a call, but no contact yet. I will exercise patience since I'm not in a huge rush, but I'm hoping they don't expect me to send them money immediately after they tell me my car is ready. (OK, yes, I will jump thru whatever hoops necessary, but I'd really like some time). Sorry for venting.

I got the VIN via email, nothing on the app yet. I also have a payment button on my page. Presumably, I need to pay before they begin the delivery process.

Thanks nanimac! Expecting 60/arrest me RED/pano/tech/air/parcel shelf. Despite the fact that I am dying to get my car, my schedule is crazy busy at the moment and I am hoping that delivery will occur in early June. Wondering if I'm going to be first red or someone else beat me to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't heard anything from Tesla either since I got the delivery button and confirmation email. No DS contact at all yet. My EOL date is about a week after RodF so hopefully will hear something next week. Am nervous about having enough time to get financing without my car having sit at the factory any more extra days than it has too...of course, am super eager to finally be driving my Tesla already..MUST BE PATIENT :)

hawaiiskibum, nanimac, if you don't mind my forwardness, I recommend you contact TM for your complete VIN. Then pass it to your lienholder so they have it. I think they will need it a short time in advance. Making sure they have it as soon as you can puts you in a position to not be waiting on them when TM says they want payment. ddruz or solar powered should be able to confirm, but I think TM wants payment before they ship to Hawaii. Some folks get to pay at delivery, but we've got a pond between factory and home as you know.

Akikiki, thanks for that tip. I haven't started the loan process yet as I am travelling but when I get back next week that will be the goal. Get VIN, get loan, then get car. My understanding is similar to yours. Pay first before the boat ride to sunny Hawaii. And as to your question on my music....hmm....not sure, but something that I can sing along with, really loud...but don't worry, i'll keep the roof closed when I do! One more thing to think about....what song...hmm...

Thanks for answer on Vanity Plates - I think I'm going to use the Aloha Spirt - Get my boys Initials on Vanity Plates - park where I want to and have them prove it's not an Electric Vehicle and only a DMV admin error - of course I sometimes like being "Dead Wrong".

Honestly I think you'll be happier if you just get the EV plates instead of the vanity, with all due respect to your kids. Parking enforcement on the street are looking for EV plates when you meter park, so are the parking attendants at the parking lots as well as the cops when you use the HOV lane. It's not worth the hassles, both financially, legally, and timewise, to bother contesting each ticket you get or arguing with a parking lot attendant. They don't know that it's an electric car - they're just looking for the tag.

Either you get the EV tags to take advantage of the EV legal benefits or you get the vanity plate and forfeit them. That's likely to be the choice in front of you, sad to say. Best wishes to you either way you decide.

Oh noes!! Early adopter blues.... My MS is bricked in my garage. Had an almost full charge when I left it last night. As soon as I got in the car there were 4 warnings listed on the dash saying the 12v battery was low and to pull over to the side of the road as the car can shut down at any time. Then it shut down, everything went black and it's completely unresponsive. Put in a call to Barry and got voicemail.

Oh noes is right! Hope your car gets better soon! :(. Keep us posted as to what happens!

Update on status of car: Barry came out this afternoon and brought a new battery. He's done it a few times already on other cars so he finished it quickly, but I was shocked at how many steps it took to get to the 12V battery. This would take me several hours if I was doing this by myself and you have to remove quite a lot of things to get to it. I lost use for only 24 hours, but I think it's somewhat sad that I not only had the inconvenience, but will also be billed for the visit. I guess that's one thing I'll miss about the BMW, the no-cost maintenance program. The 12V battery problem is a known issue and there should be waiver of a ranger visit charge when their design is at fault. Oh well, at least it was resolved promptly and I'm back to enjoying driving again :)

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Saw this roadster on the side of the road today and had to double-back to snap a pic of it. She's a beauty!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
Status
Not open for further replies.