Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that if you drove in with the suspension at "high" wouldn't the car stay that way until you 1) change it back or 2) reach city/highway speed and it automatically settles back down? Or are you referring to a malfunction and the air leaking back out?
I'm suggesting caution. Every air system I've owned has settled over time -- sometimes onto a curb I've pulled over.

Papafox - I've read elsewhere on the site you can custom program auto-tilt mirrors for reverse. Perhaps that may be a good option so you can keep your mirrors properly set for normal driving, but tilt down to see the tires/rims when reversing into a parallel space.
gmtom1: I read up on the auto-tilting of mirrors in reverse and then gave it a try. It didn't work. My understanding is that since I don't have the tech package I may or may not have this feature, depending upon the date the car was built. Adjusting my mirrors in either drive or reverse does not bring up the option to save my profile, although a slight adjustment to seat position instantly brings up the option to save. Those of you with the tech package should have this option ready to go, though, and I suggest using it.

I'm suggesting caution. Every air system I've owned has settled over time -- sometimes onto a curb I've pulled over.

Bollar: Good piece of advice. I'll be watching to see if the car settles at all over time.

The Lesson. The car will drive off if you are within door unlocking range of the fob.
Akikiki: Thanks for passing along this story. I didn't realize one could drive off without the fob.

Under the category of What did I do stupid this week or Why wasn't I thinking, hummed
to the tune of Dierks Bently's, What was I thinkin'

Remember this and don't do as I did. Yes, I am embarassed, and I am sharing
because there's both a good lesson and a good laugh.

Yesterday two guests came by the house right after I had finished washing the MS. One said, "Can we
go for a ride". "Of course, I said, I was just waiting for one of you to ask. We jumped in and off we went.
A couple of miles down the road, I pulled over and said, "do you want to drive". "Yes", she said, so we
both got out and changed seats. Buckled up now, she says, "how does it go"? "Step on the brake and
pull it in drive." But she did, and we didn't.

Odd I thought, let me put the fob in the cup holder. Do you see where this is going? LOL. My pocket is
empty. So where's the fob? On the workbench in the garage. Yep, the garage about three miles down the road.

The Lesson. The car will drive off if you are within door unlocking range of the fob.
If I had stayed in my driver seat, all would have been fine.
When you get out of the seat, it "resets" and you can't re-engage.

I called Tesla Ownership. They could not help.
VERY luckily, I called a good friend who drove me back to my home and I got the fob, then the back to the car.
Back in less than 8 minutes, the two guests were happy to sit there listening to music and surfing the web.

I won't make this foolish mistake again. That would have been a long walk.
Now have a good laugh on me, I earned it.

This has been mentioned in a few threads here at TMC. The fix, of course, is for Tesla to more accurately place the fob IN the car before allowing the car to go into drive (which is the way it works for practically every other keyless start car). This may have more to do with antenna placement rather than software since it seems that this would be something that Tesla would like to fix in a firmware upgrade.

Last edited:
Mental Note for when I get my MS - Don't let the fob leave your pocket........ Thanks for the tip papafox.

Akikiki - Thanks for the heads up on the rate. I can't apply for the loan for a couple more weeks, so here's hoping the fed keeps rates low for a few more weeks......

Nanimac:
It was great to meet you! I guess I was happy. One of the few times I woke up before my wife--she said that I was like a 5-yr old on Christmas morning. This car is like a racing thoroughbred--it's born to run, and run fast! I have to be careful not to get a ticket.
I headed over to a garage to get my temporary safety check. Good thing that I remembered Efren's walk-through on how to manually turn on the headlights. Still struggling with the Homelink--also found out that I need to get a more modern phone.
Efren said that 9 more are arriving on Tuesday and he hoped that yours was in that shipment. Hang in there! I had to wait over a year and my friend waited 2 years for his. When the day arrives, the wait will be a distant memory.

Here is a photo of my car. It is actually dark green.

I was wondering when you were going to show up, lol. Next time at work ... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Congratulations on finally getting your MS. She's incredible isn't she. We spent Fathers Day cruising up to the North Shore. We pulled into the Waimea Bay parking lot and it took 10 minutes to just get to the pavilion, but then, a parking stall opened up right in front of me! Perfect. The Tesla gods were watching over Momi today! We saw one MS parked on the side of Kam highway, just past Kualoa.

Still haven't figured out how to get on the web. All I get is the Tesla

Also, plugged into the charging station at Turtle Bay, but after an hour we got no charge. First time I've used a public station. Anyone: what else do you have to do besides plugging in?

Nanimac:
It was great to meet you! I guess I was happy. One of the few times I woke up before my wife--she said that I was like a 5-yr old on Christmas morning. This car is like a racing thoroughbred--it's born to run, and run fast! I have to be careful not to get a ticket.
I headed over to a garage to get my temporary safety check. Good thing that I remembered Efren's walk-through on how to manually turn on the headlights. Still struggling with the Homelink--also found out that I need to get a more modern phone.
Efren said that 9 more are arriving on Tuesday and he hoped that yours was in that shipment. Hang in there! I had to wait over a year and my friend waited 2 years for his. When the day arrives, the wait will be a distant memory.

Thanks for the encouraging words...just checked my app and it now says remote access is off! Boat must be here or near by :) I know alot of people have waited a lot longer than me but funny how the wait is even harder when delivery is just around the corner!

Glad you're enjoying your car..was a little jealous of you yesterday..ok..alot jealous :)

Thanks. We saw a lot of white ones when we picked up ours. The service center didn't think any greens were ordered before for Hawaii.

drtko147, Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Stunning. Wonderful to finally have a Green here. I think this is the only one I have heard of.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone gotten the trunk liner from Tesla? Or have you ordered from another company, like Lloyd?

Also, does anyone know where you can get the safety sticker bracket?

Thanks. We saw a lot of white ones when we picked up ours. The service center didn't think any greens were ordered before for Hawaii.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone gotten the trunk liner from Tesla? Or have you ordered from another company, like Lloyd?

Also, does anyone know where you can get the safety sticker bracket?

Have the footwell liner for the 3rd row seat from Tesla - well built and durable. I also have the Lloyd Ultimat carpet mats for the front and the back in black which look really nice. I got my safety sticker bracket from Razor Sports in Pearlridge but have heard from multiple people that they're available at Checkers / O Reilly's.

Also, plugged into the charging station at Turtle Bay, but after an hour we got no charge. First time I've used a public station. Anyone: what else do you have to do besides plugging in?

That's a Better Place / OpConnect charging station. I'm assuming that you have a Better Place activation fob and touched it to the panel to start the charge, yes? If you don't have one, no charging will take place.

Unfortunately for those that don't already have a Better Place fob, OpConnect just told me last week that they ran out of the remaining inventory of fobs from Better Place. They're looking at trying to get another manufacturer to duplicate the fobs but until then, they won't be able to supply any more activation fobs to new Hawaii members or supply replacement fobs for members who lost theirs (sob).

gmtom1: I read up on the auto-tilting of mirrors in reverse and then gave it a try. It didn't work. My understanding is that since I don't have the tech package I may or may not have this feature, depending upon the date the car was built. Adjusting my mirrors in either drive or reverse does not bring up the option to save my profile, although a slight adjustment to seat position instantly brings up the option to save. Those of you with the tech package should have this option ready to go, though, and I suggest using it.
Papafox--Just confirming for you that in cars ordered before Apr 1 seat memory was tied to leather seats and since then it is tied to the tech package. But autotilt mirrors in reverse were tied to the tech package for quite some time before that, possibly from the beginning except inadvertently. IMO the best part of driver profiles is the seat memory anyway so you're looking good.

That's a Better Place / OpConnect charging station. I'm assuming that you have a Better Place activation fob and touched it to the panel to start the charge, yes? If you don't have one, no charging will take place.

Unfortunately for those that don't already have a Better Place fob, OpConnect just told me last week that they ran out of the remaining inventory of fobs from Better Place. They're looking at trying to get another manufacturer to duplicate the fobs but until then, they won't be able to supply any more activation fobs to new Hawaii members or supply replacement fobs for members who lost theirs (sob).

Mahalo for the info. No, I don't have a fob for recharging...anywhere! Is this how it is for all recharging stations? Assuming fobs are available, how do you get one. For example, if I want to recharge at Whole Foods, do I have to first talk to the store manager!?!

Can anyone walk me through how to find a specific song on Slacker?
It's really easy. Push the upper button on the right side of the steering wheel and then say "play" followed by the name of the song, then release the button. The Tesla will think for a few seconds and then display a list of possible choices on the touchscreen. Touch the correct choice and it will play. After that song plays, Slacker will play songs that are similar to it.

Papafox--Just confirming for you that in cars ordered before Apr 1 seat memory was tied to leather seats and since then it is tied to the tech package. But autotilt mirrors in reverse were tied to the tech package for quite some time before that, possibly from the beginning except inadvertently. IMO the best part of driver profiles is the seat memory anyway so you're looking good.
ddruz: Thanks for the confirmation of this feature. Glad I picked up the seat memory by ordering early. I'm hopeful that other new users will heed my advice to be extra vigilant driving near curbs in their S Models.

It's really easy. Push the upper button on the right side of the steering wheel and then say "play" followed by the name of the song, then release the button. The Tesla will think for a few seconds and then display a list of possible choices on the touchscreen. Touch the correct choice and it will play. After that song plays, Slacker will play songs that are similar to it.

ddruz: Thanks for the confirmation of this feature. Glad I picked up the seat memory by ordering early. I'm hopeful that other new users will heed my advice to be extra vigilant driving near curbs in their S Models.

Papafox, Mahalo nui!

Mahalo for the info. No, I don't have a fob for recharging...anywhere! Is this how it is for all recharging stations? Assuming fobs are available, how do you get one. For example, if I want to recharge at Whole Foods, do I have to first talk to the store manager!?!

You don't need a key fob for anywhere else here (that I know of). You will just need the adaptor that came with the car so it will fit the plug (J1772?). At Kahala Mall, you need to reverse into the stall to charge as the cord isn't long enough to go all the way to the back of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.