Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Giga, HECO installed my new meter today for TOU. my panels though are in my garage, since we are replacing the roofs on our townhouses this week. The lack of free electric will disturb my count to see how much TOU helps until next month when we are back to normal. Giga, thanks for the encouragement to do TOU. Thanks for looking after us.

Akikiki, Super you got it fast.. Let us know how it works I'm sure you'll save when charging at night and make the extra during the day when your solar is back online. Let us know. Welcome on the help. You can record the meter numbers and take it into the house, google how to read the numbers there are a few... it will tell you how much you received from HECO how much you sent to HECO and at what times.. its really kool!

http://www.heco.com/vcmcontent/EnergyServices/ElectricVehicle/EV_Meter_Read06-28-2011.pdf

Tesla's have the largest batteries and stand to gain the most benefit. It a win win for HECO and EV owner.

Last edited:
drtko147, whew,! What a relief. I am planning on putting a dropcam in my garage so I can watch mine on those off chances I am not there.

New subject, some time ago I replaced my Garage Door Opener with an Internet connected one. Its a Sears, and connects using a products from Sears called Assure. Assure has an iOS App. They just updated it. Now I can set alerts based on a 24-hour window. The alerts can send to my phone when the door has been opened and closed. Cool. The app also tells me the status of the door, i.e. opened or closed and for how long since it was opened or closed. I can also remotely open and close it. This Sears GDO is also Homelink compatible. Handy.

Giga, HECO installed my new meter today for TOU. my panels though are in my garage, since we are replacing the roofs on our townhouses this week. The lack of free electric will disturb my count to see how much TOU helps until next month when we are back to normal. Giga, thanks for the encouragement to do TOU. Thanks for looking after us.

How did the meter install go? Did you recored some numbers yet :)

A Leaf owner friend just sent me this photo from a ChargePoint station which says Tesla owners need to reduce their charging amperage to 25A so as not to blow circuit breakers at ChargePoint stations. I apologize if this is old news.
IMG-20130812-00608.jpg

A Leaf owner friend just sent me this photo from a ChargePoint station which says Tesla owners need to reduce their charging amperage to 25A so as not to blow circuit breakers at ChargePoint stations. I apologize if this is old news.

Eye test results:

Attention TESLA Model S Owners:
Help AVOID Tripping the Circuit Breaker
at this Charging Terminal
by using your Control Panel Screen to
Reduce the Charge Rate of your car
to 25 Amps or less

... this particular charging station may have used inferior 6-gauge wires
... the electrical breakers on a daily basis when used by Model S ow...
... due to their fast charger settings at home using 40 amps or greater. Instea...
... 18-20 miles per Level-2 charge hour at 30 Amps charge rate will be red...
... miles per charge hour at 25 Amps this reduced rate is better than no cha...
... when the breaker is tripped and the system goes off-line for days at a time.

Eye test results:
Attention TESLA Model S Owners:
Help AVOID Tripping the Circuit Breaker
at this Charging Terminal
by using your Control Panel Screen to
Reduce the Charge Rate of your car
to 25 Amps or less
... this particular charging station may have used inferior 6-gauge wires
... the electrical breakers on a daily basis when used by Model S ow...
... due to their fast charger settings at home using 40 amps or greater. Instea...
... 18-20 miles per Level-2 charge hour at 30 Amps charge rate will be red...
... miles per charge hour at 25 Amps this reduced rate is better than no cha...
... when the breaker is tripped and the system goes off-line for days at a time.

I'm charging at a ChargePoint station right now and they don't have a sign, so I think it is safe to say that it is for a particular station. Which station was this at?
Well, it could be a jealous leaf owner.

Checking the map shows

C&C HONOLULU / SMITH-BERETANIA as disabled
BIA OF HAWAII / BIA OF HAWAII 1 (near the SC) as not available.
the rest of the ChargePoint stations are shown as available (and/or charging)

Last edited:
A License Plate Tale
Teslaplate600.jpg

It took me over a month to get a plate on my car, but the feat has now occurred. Noteworthy observations include:

I took Akikiki's suggestion of using a show-n-go plate holder for the front license plate, and I'm quite happy with it. The plate stows below the car and disappears when moved to that position by hand... pretty cool. The biggest challenge in installation was to find a way to drill up into the plastic underbelly of the car when there wasn't enough room for my drill. The solution was to get one of those 90 degree accessories for my drill and then there was plenty of room to do the work. I had my car's suspension on extra high with the "Jack" option selected. Thanks Akikiki, great suggestion!

One of our members told me that she received a lower-than-typical Electric Vehicle plate by going to the Wahiawa satellite city hall. Hmm, I wondered how low a number I could get at the Kapolei satellite city hall, since I see so few electric cars on that side of the island. Besides, that location was close to work. Lo and behold, you can still get a three digit electric plate number at Kapolei.

Finally, I have noticed a definite increase in the number of people asking me questions about my Tesla now that I have the electric plate installed. I think many people do not realize the car is electric until they see the plate.

Very cool Papafox! Both the mounting of the plate and the low number!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Spleen, if you're reading this, those cards with the info are great. I've just about given them all out in Waikiki. Just need to add the 5-star all-around NHTSA rating now since I have to usually throw that in verbally :biggrin:

StephenM, I'm happy with the way things worked out.

Akikiki found the best front plate mount,

Nanimac broke the code on plate numbers being related to the choice of satellite city hall, and

RodF broke the code on using a smartphone to track your car's progress across the ocean. Future S owners can benefit from these discoveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.