Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce007, That's a good idea. We all try to do it too. You are a junior member. You need to have at least 5 replies posted to threads on TMC before you have that "signature" feature available under settings. Be patient, or hurry and leave us a short note on several threads to "qualify" sooner

Ordered a white 85 MS, moon-roof-less, with black cloth interior, 19" wheels, trunk shelf, tech package and suspension (Hawaii roads, no?). Have purchased seat covers and floor mats separately (airing out the plastic ones per a posted piece of advice). Have installed the 14-50 in the carport (what's the "14" mean ?) and have purchased accident cams for front and rear, so am all set for delivery Dec. 30th. Went to the SC today and met Luke, boxes everywhere, grand place. Great hearing from all of you.

Ordered a white 85 MS, moon-roof-less, with black cloth interior, 19" wheels, trunk shelf, tech package and suspension (Hawaii roads, no?). Have purchased seat covers and floor mats separately (airing out the plastic ones per a posted piece of advice). Have installed the 14-50 in the carport (what's the "14" mean ?) and have purchased accident cams for front and rear, so am all set for delivery Dec. 30th. Went to the SC today and met Luke, boxes everywhere, grand place. Great hearing from all of you.

Nice setup! The "14" stands for the type of outlet - in this case, the 4 prong outlet (I think 2 hots, one neutral, and one ground ... anybody know for sure?).

I've noticed that my iPhone now alerts me when texts are received. (It did not previously when connected to the car...the notifications were silenced...only incoming calls were allowed to make a sound). Has anyone else noticed this? I did not see it in any of the release notes (unless I overlooked it). To clarify, the phone is chiming itself...it is NOT passing the chime through the audio system.

I couldn't read the whole article because I'm not subscribed to their site. Anything interesting in the article?

Here's the article text:

For most of his life, Jay Kam, owner of Vintage Wine Cellar in Honolulu, never owned a luxury car until about a year ago, when he bought an electric Tesla sedan in a shade of burgundy that reminds him of the fine wines his business sells.
As one of the first Tesla owners in Hawaii, Kam finds himself among a growing group of isle residents who’ve made a big investment in the top-of-the-line electric-vehicle brand, which can cost between $62,400 for a Model S base sedan and nearly $120,000 for a fully-loaded high-performance model.
During the third quarter, there were 43 new Teslas registered in Hawaii, compared to none during the same time period last year, and so for this year, there’s a total of 137 registered compared to zero all of last year, according to recent statistics from theHawaii Automobile Dealers Association.
Tesla, which was developed by PayPalfounder Elon Musk’s Tesla Motors Inc., accounts for 0.4 percent of the auto market share in the state so far this year, a significant increase from 0 percent a year ago.
For Kam and others, the reasons for getting a Tesla are pretty clear.
For one, he told PBN that he has been saving $200 a month on fuel, especially when it is combined with the solar photovoltaic panels on the roof of his home.
“My car runs on sunshine,” he said.
The other reason isn’t as substantial as the fuel cost savings but to Kam, it is just as cool.
“Driving [in a Tesla] is almost like being a rock star,” he said. “Every Tesla owner has been stopped at some point to ask questions. Even when I’m sitting at a stoplight, people ask me questions.”
Kam believes one of the reasons Tesla sales in Hawaii have steadily increased is because people see them around more often.
Tesla isn’t the only electric vehicle brand getting this type of attention from Hawaii drivers.
The number of new electric vehicles in Hawaii has skyrocketed so far this year with the total number of new registrations just through September nearly outnumbering the combined total for 2011 and 2012, according to recent data from the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association.
Through the first nine months of this year, there have been 600 new registrations of EVs, compared to a total of 341 registrations last year and 338 registrations in 2011. From 2008 to 2010, there were a total of 32 registrations.
Joe Saturnia, president of Island Pacific Energy, who has owned a Nissan Leaf for almost three years, is among the growing number of people going electric.
“I bought it because the savings, part of the novelty of it, and it seems to dovetail with the industry that I’m in,” he told PBN.
For some, the higher cost of an electric vehicle can be a major barrier to buying one, but now that more auto dealers have been starting to offer leasing as an option, there has been more interest.
“Almost everybody leases these days,” said Saturnia, who chose to purchase his EV.
Saturnia paid about $32,000 for his Leaf, but received rebates and federal and state tax credits for about $12,500, so his net cost was just under $20,000.
Saturnia also utilizes energy from a solar PV system on his rooftop to charge up his car. Without solar PV, he said that he would be paying an equivalent of $2.75 per gallon of gas instead of about 50 cents per gallon of gas with solar PV.
“The cost-savings is significant [if you use solar] PV,” Saturnia said.
For Ray Starling, program director for Hawaii Energy, the state’s conservation and efficiency program, and a Nissan Leaf owner for a little more than two years, pairing rooftop solar PV with his EV has worked wonders.
“I really like driving the car and I’m hoping we can see a SUV-like vehicle [EV made] that you can take to a big box store,” he said.
Besides the cost-savings on fuel, Starling truly likes the feel of driving his Nissan Leaf.
“If you could just get people to drive one, I think they would sell themselves,” he said. “The thing I wasn’t expecting was the fun factor. It was the icing on the cake. Until you sit in the seat and you can accelerate it, it really lays you back in the seat. This isn’t just a souped-up golf cart, this is real power.”
Starling, who saw a cost-savings of about $10,000 from tax credits, ended up paying $23,000 for his Leaf.
“I think the tax credits are very important as it helps [the state] with its efforts to pursue more clean energy,” he said. “Getting us off of oil, well, two-thirds of the oil we ship in is for transportation needs, so we can do a lot on the electric side with cars and airplanes taking up a much bigger piece of the pie and EVs help us with that.”
But despite all of the advantages of an EV, he and some others feel that the only thing missing is more charging stations on Oahu.
“I still find myself occasionally having to hunt for a charging station and it would be very nice if I knew where we could get a charge,” Starling said.
He does commend the state Energy Office for creating an mobile application that helps drivers find charging stations as a huge step in the right direction.
And companies such as Volta Industries LLC, which installs and maintains free-to-use, advertising-supported EV charging stations, are helping to ease one of the biggest fears of EV drivers: Range anxiety, or the fear that a vehicle doesn’t have enough power to reach its destination.
Volta, which has installed 20 charging stations in Hawaii, is in expansion mode with plans to have as many as 150 stations here in the Islands and on the Mainland in states such as California and Arizona.
Volta spokeswoman Arden Penton told PBN that the company has been trying to get ahead of EV sales by building the charging station infrastructure as fast as it can.
“A lot of residents have been calling us and wanting us to bring our stations to their areas,” she said.
Dave Rolf, executive director of the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association, estimates that there should be 2,500 EVs and hybrids on Hawaii roads by the end of 2014.
He told PBN that the two main drivers of EV and hybrid sales in Hawaii are that the vehicles are getting more attention and that the state has strong policies and incentives to get people to buy or lease.
“It’s critical mass and everybody has a neighbor or meets someone who is driving one of these vehicles,” Rolf said.

nanimac,

Thanks for the text. I wasn't able to read it as well. I like the "cool" factor and the "rock star" quote. We all have experienced this for ourselves. Yesterday, I got a thumbs up from the guy parked next to me at Ward Theater parking.

Here's the article text:

For most of his life, Jay Kam, owner of Vintage Wine Cellar in Honolulu, never owned a luxury car until about a year ago, when he bought an electric Tesla sedan in a shade of burgundy that reminds him of the fine wines his business sells.
As one of the first Tesla owners in Hawaii, Kam finds himself among a growing group of isle residents who’ve made a big investment in the top-of-the-line electric-vehicle brand, which can cost between $62,400 for a Model S base sedan and nearly $120,000 for a fully-loaded high-performance model.
During the third quarter, there were 43 new Teslas registered in Hawaii, compared to none during the same time period last year, and so for this year, there’s a total of 137 registered compared to zero all of last year, according to recent statistics from theHawaii Automobile Dealers Association.
Tesla, which was developed by PayPalfounder Elon Musk’s Tesla Motors Inc., accounts for 0.4 percent of the auto market share in the state so far this year, a significant increase from 0 percent a year ago.
For Kam and others, the reasons for getting a Tesla are pretty clear.
For one, he told PBN that he has been saving $200 a month on fuel, especially when it is combined with the solar photovoltaic panels on the roof of his home.
“My car runs on sunshine,” he said.
The other reason isn’t as substantial as the fuel cost savings but to Kam, it is just as cool.
“Driving [in a Tesla] is almost like being a rock star,” he said. “Every Tesla owner has been stopped at some point to ask questions. Even when I’m sitting at a stoplight, people ask me questions.”
Kam believes one of the reasons Tesla sales in Hawaii have steadily increased is because people see them around more often.
Tesla isn’t the only electric vehicle brand getting this type of attention from Hawaii drivers.
The number of new electric vehicles in Hawaii has skyrocketed so far this year with the total number of new registrations just through September nearly outnumbering the combined total for 2011 and 2012, according to recent data from the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association.
Through the first nine months of this year, there have been 600 new registrations of EVs, compared to a total of 341 registrations last year and 338 registrations in 2011. From 2008 to 2010, there were a total of 32 registrations.
Joe Saturnia, president of Island Pacific Energy, who has owned a Nissan Leaf for almost three years, is among the growing number of people going electric.
“I bought it because the savings, part of the novelty of it, and it seems to dovetail with the industry that I’m in,” he told PBN.
For some, the higher cost of an electric vehicle can be a major barrier to buying one, but now that more auto dealers have been starting to offer leasing as an option, there has been more interest.
“Almost everybody leases these days,” said Saturnia, who chose to purchase his EV.
Saturnia paid about $32,000 for his Leaf, but received rebates and federal and state tax credits for about $12,500, so his net cost was just under $20,000.
Saturnia also utilizes energy from a solar PV system on his rooftop to charge up his car. Without solar PV, he said that he would be paying an equivalent of $2.75 per gallon of gas instead of about 50 cents per gallon of gas with solar PV.
“The cost-savings is significant [if you use solar] PV,” Saturnia said.
For Ray Starling, program director for Hawaii Energy, the state’s conservation and efficiency program, and a Nissan Leaf owner for a little more than two years, pairing rooftop solar PV with his EV has worked wonders.
“I really like driving the car and I’m hoping we can see a SUV-like vehicle [EV made] that you can take to a big box store,” he said.
Besides the cost-savings on fuel, Starling truly likes the feel of driving his Nissan Leaf.
“If you could just get people to drive one, I think they would sell themselves,” he said. “The thing I wasn’t expecting was the fun factor. It was the icing on the cake. Until you sit in the seat and you can accelerate it, it really lays you back in the seat. This isn’t just a souped-up golf cart, this is real power.”
Starling, who saw a cost-savings of about $10,000 from tax credits, ended up paying $23,000 for his Leaf.
“I think the tax credits are very important as it helps [the state] with its efforts to pursue more clean energy,” he said. “Getting us off of oil, well, two-thirds of the oil we ship in is for transportation needs, so we can do a lot on the electric side with cars and airplanes taking up a much bigger piece of the pie and EVs help us with that.”
But despite all of the advantages of an EV, he and some others feel that the only thing missing is more charging stations on Oahu.
“I still find myself occasionally having to hunt for a charging station and it would be very nice if I knew where we could get a charge,” Starling said.
He does commend the state Energy Office for creating an mobile application that helps drivers find charging stations as a huge step in the right direction.
And companies such as Volta Industries LLC, which installs and maintains free-to-use, advertising-supported EV charging stations, are helping to ease one of the biggest fears of EV drivers: Range anxiety, or the fear that a vehicle doesn’t have enough power to reach its destination.
Volta, which has installed 20 charging stations in Hawaii, is in expansion mode with plans to have as many as 150 stations here in the Islands and on the Mainland in states such as California and Arizona.
Volta spokeswoman Arden Penton told PBN that the company has been trying to get ahead of EV sales by building the charging station infrastructure as fast as it can.
“A lot of residents have been calling us and wanting us to bring our stations to their areas,” she said.
Dave Rolf, executive director of the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association, estimates that there should be 2,500 EVs and hybrids on Hawaii roads by the end of 2014.
He told PBN that the two main drivers of EV and hybrid sales in Hawaii are that the vehicles are getting more attention and that the state has strong policies and incentives to get people to buy or lease.
“It’s critical mass and everybody has a neighbor or meets someone who is driving one of these vehicles,” Rolf said.

Status
Not open for further replies.