Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii's EV Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Single-occupant HOV access
  • Free parking at HNL (a 24 hour limit)
  • Free State + County parking facility use [including: Municipal lots, Blaisdell parking] -- 24 hour limit
  • Free metered parking, with a 2.5 hour limit or maximum time limit of meter if greater than 2.5 hours
** By law, parking lots with at least 100 spots are required to have at least 1 dedicated EV parking spot with corresponding charging system, including lots already in existence. If you do not see these spots in a particular lot, please search for and contact the property managers about this. If the response is "it's in the works," please press for point of contact on the project, dates, etc. (please list other proactive suggestions below, and they will be incorporated). **

This message will be edited + updated with the suggestions and additional items of those who reply to this thread
Refrence: link

Last edited:
While down at the federal building last week I parked in the State parking facility (across from resteraunt row parking facility). When leaving I was told the first 4 hours were free. I called them on it. Supervisor arrived - same story. Pressed further and he called "the very top". TVT read the law to him (24 hours free) and I was on my way.

It would be most worthwhile, to everyone, for the text and the link to all the useful HRS and laws were here so we could copy them out to a Word doc and print them or link to them and print them. Just for these kinds of situations.

This doesn't really count as an "incentive", but is still valuable - Hawaii was also the first state to pass a law saying that HOAs can't unreasonably refuse homeowner requests to install an EVSE if they offer to pay for it.

hawaiikaiguy: Act 168 required 1% of stalls to be reserved for EVs for public and private lots. ProPark (who runs the Queen's and POB lots) has taken upon itself to reserve the EV stalls only for those actively charging, which requires a credit card swipe and this fee is tacked on to the parking charge. Propark puts up signs that misleadingly infers that this is authorized by Act 168. Is this proper? I'm not an attorney--is there anyone who can confirm that this is incorrect?

- - - Updated - - -

nanimac: Even in municipal and state lots, you can no longer park free for more than a day. The state fixed that when Act 168 replaced Act 291. Here is the actual text: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2012/bills/GM1271_.PDF

I've heard that the Airport is planning to apply this 24-hour time limit to free parking, but that is not how the statute reads:

(b) An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county authority in this State, except that this exemption shall not apply:
(1) For more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer; or
(2) To parking fees assessed in increments longer than one twenty-four-hour day, including weekly, monthly, or annual parking permits.

(b)(2) does not say the limit is 24 hours is the limit, it says that EV's are not eligible to receive free parking if it is charged in greater than 24 -hour increments. The airport charges by the hour and then by the day (read 24 hours). Two days in the lot is still just two increments of 24 hours.

Anyone willing to go and challenge the State in court on its interpretation?

nanimac, But I would try it your way regardless. First I would not ask. (Don't ask a question that gives someone the chance to tell you no, when you can go ahead and do it and learn from them later the answer is no.) I would do it. And if they notice I are there the next day, let them tell me, that I can't do it. After all, you are not parking there 24 hours, you are not parking there overnight. When you leave each day, you are giving someone else the chance to beat you there the next morning before you arrive. I'd try it. But let us know how it works out.

- - - Updated - - -

Wolfie, First posts, huh? Good. Welcome to the Hawaii part of the forum. Have a MS or on order? We'd love to hear about it. Tell us. The more the merrier.

Hi,
Sorry I just jumped in without any introduction. I have a Black p85 reservation, but I'm waiting for my current lease to expire to finalize the order.
i was on the Tesla corporate forum, but this one is a lot more informative for issue relating to Hawaii owners.

Wolfie, Yes, that's why we are here, sharing our experiences with each other. Just showing up is a good introduction. We are very informal here.

Black, huh? Great! Tell us more. You can change your TMC "signature" under your profile to publish your details for your reservation so we can all be envious of it. And we are trying to get everyone to put the description and pictures on the Bragging Space thread. Glad to have you here. Welcome.

Hi,
Sorry I just jumped in without any introduction. I have a Black p85 reservation, but I'm waiting for my current lease to expire to finalize the order.
i was on the Tesla corporate forum, but this one is a lot more informative for issue relating to Hawaii owners.

Welcome Wolfie! You'll find the Hawaii forum and rest of the TMC forum to be VERY informative and addicting :)

I've heard that the Airport is planning to apply this 24-hour time limit to free parking, but that is not how the statute reads:

(b) An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county authority in this State, except that this exemption shall not apply:
(1) For more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer; or
(2) To parking fees assessed in increments longer than one twenty-four-hour day, including weekly, monthly, or annual parking permits.

(b)(2) does not say the limit is 24 hours is the limit, it says that EV's are not eligible to receive free parking if it is charged in greater than 24 -hour increments. The airport charges by the hour and then by the day (read 24 hours). Two days in the lot is still just two increments of 24 hours.

Anyone willing to go and challenge the State in court on its interpretation?

I plan to leave my MS at the airport from 7 - 12 July. If they charge me I will looking for advice on how to proceed for legal interpretation.

Sent a EV parking query to airport management yesterday and recieved the following reply:

Dale,
Thank you for your inquiry on the possible conflict with existing legislation enacted regarding the exemption of parking fees for Electronic Vehicles (EV) imposed by State or county authorities. More specifically you are questioning the parking fee structure listed in our website at the Honolulu International Airport vis-a-vis the legislation on EV's. You would like a copy of the legal review, if one was conducted or provided.

We are researching this matter and I will provide you with a response.

Should have you have any additional information or questions regarding your inquiry please feel free to call me at 838-8704,

Sidney A. Hayakawa
DOT/Airports Division
Administrative Services Officer (AIR-A)
Office 808-838-8704
Fax: 808-838-8067

gmtom1, thanks. I have printed it. I am putting a highlighted copy in the glove box for when I am pulled over at night and can hand it to my LEO and prove we can.

- - - Updated - - -

dpodoll, Dale, Cool. Nice work there. While waiting for a formal answer, added that name and number to my contacts. It will be handy when I am sitting at the pay booth at the airport.

Sent a EV parking query to airport management yesterday and recieved the following reply:

Dale,
Thank you for your inquiry on the possible conflict with existing legislation enacted regarding the exemption of parking fees for Electronic Vehicles (EV) imposed by State or county authorities. More specifically you are questioning the parking fee structure listed in our website at the Honolulu International Airport vis-a-vis the legislation on EV's. You would like a copy of the legal review, if one was conducted or provided.

We are researching this matter and I will provide you with a response.

Should have you have any additional information or questions regarding your inquiry please feel free to call me at 838-8704,

Sidney A. Hayakawa
DOT/Airports Division
Administrative Services Officer (AIR-A)
Office 808-838-8704
Fax: 808-838-8067

Hi dpodoll,

Thanks for looking into this. Check the text under the red "update" icon here: http://hawaii.gov/hnl/airport-parking/electric-vehicle-parking

"Effective July 1, 2013, an electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees for a maximum of 24 hours. Applicable parking fees will be charged to electric vehicles parked in excess of 24 hours."

Looks like first 24 hours are free, then you start to pay.

Hi dpodoll,

Thanks for looking into this. Check the text under the red "update" icon here: http://hawaii.gov/hnl/airport-parking/electric-vehicle-parking

"Effective July 1, 2013, an electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees for a maximum of 24 hours. Applicable parking fees will be charged to electric vehicles parked in excess of 24 hours."

Looks like first 24 hours are free, then you start to pay.

hawaiikaiguy - That is exactly what I am asking the airport to get the attorney generals review of. My research so far indicated the change of parking policy was driven by a phone call, with no documentation.

I hope that at least delay the change until they get the AG's response; which I am sure will be in our favor.

hawaiikaiguy - That is exactly what I am asking the airport to get the attorney generals review of. My research so far indicated the change of parking policy was driven by a phone call, with no documentation.

I hope that at least delay the change until they get the AG's response; which I am sure will be in our favor.

If you're reading the statute by the letter:
"(b) An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county authority in this State, except that this exemption shall not apply:
(2) To parking fees assessed in increments longer than one twenty-four-hour day, including weekly, monthly, or annual parking permits."

could it not be argued that the law doesn't state that we should get ANY exempted parking fees for any lot that goes longer than 24 hours? In other words, if we poke the tiger, would it be possible that they might shrug their shoulders and say "well, actually the law doesn't say that you guys should get any free parking at the airport so we'll just take away the 24 hours that you were going to get from July"?

:scared:

My read on (b)(2) is that the first part of the subsection states what conditions the exemption does not apply for. And the intent is that the exemption does not apply when the parking fee at the facility is charged by the monthly/week or year. Certain state owned lots (primarily the ones where employees park) charge by the month for parking - there is no daily or hourly fee, because the general public can't park there. The airport is an interesting test case though because the posted rates indicate a flat daily rate of $12/day after 24 hours in the lot.

My question is - can I go to UH games at the stadium and UH now and park for free? Last I checked the stadium is a state facility.....

Last edited: