Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii's EV Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My read on (b)(2) is that the first part of the subsection states what conditions the exemption does not apply for. And the intent is that the exemption does not apply when the parking fee at the facility is charged by the monthly/week or year. Certain state owned lots (primarily the ones where employees park) charge by the month for parking - there is no daily or hourly fee, because the general public can't park there. The airport is an interesting test case though because the posted rates indicate a flat daily rate of $12/day after 24 hours in the lot.

My question is - can I go to UH games at the stadium and UH now and park for free? Last I checked the stadium is a state facility.....

Ah, that's another way to interpret it as well. Good point.

And as for the stadium, dunno. If you're going to Stan Sheriff Center or the baseball field in UH lower campus and parking in the lower parking lot, that is free though.

Has anyone confirmed that you can park at City-managed properties up to 24 hours for free? Specifically, I'm curious if Alii Place, Harbor Court and Kukui Plaza offer free daily parking for EVs. If so that's a huge benefit to me working downtown - I can save my monthly parking fee and just park in one of those lots all day.

The statute reads "shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county.....except that this exemption shall not apply..... for more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer;"

My take on the above is that parking in the garages would be free all day, since the "meter" in this case is the 1/2 hour rates up to the maximum daily rate.

Has anyone confirmed that you can park at City-managed properties up to 24 hours for free? Specifically, I'm curious if Alii Place, Harbor Court and Kukui Plaza offer free daily parking for EVs. If so that's a huge benefit to me working downtown - I can save my monthly parking fee and just park in one of those lots all day.

The statute reads "shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county.....except that this exemption shall not apply..... for more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer;"

My take on the above is that parking in the garages would be free all day, since the "meter" in this case is the 1/2 hour rates up to the maximum daily rate.

I park at Kukui Plaza and meant to ask the manager today when I dropped off my monthly parking check, but the office was closed. Will try again on Friday. My only concern is if they'll let me in if the lot is full.

Darn - I kind of thought that in the back of my mind. Although it could be argued perhaps that charging municipal rates is the same as being charged parking by the C&C of Honolulu. I'll still ask the parking office at Alii Place anyway. Worst thing they can say is no.

This doesn't really count as an "incentive", but is still valuable - Hawaii was also the first state to pass a law saying that HOAs can't unreasonably refuse homeowner requests to install an EVSE if they offer to pay for it.

the catch 22 for this is that most of the existing condos were not built with the electrical capacity in the parking areas. My installation request was approved by the board with minimal problem. actually getting one installed is a definite problem that includes getting the building to install an additional feed from HECO including a transformer, commercial grade metering and installation of conduit (to each level of the parking area and not the conduit required by the individual requesting the charging station.)

1. get approval from the board (2-4 months):rolleyes:
2. engineering study for feasibility:confused:
3. if required (probable), upgrade building parking area infrastructure (1- 2 years):cursing:
4. contact electrician for installation estimate:eek:
5. coordinate installation with building (1 -2 month):crying:
6 Install EV charging station.:love:

for a single family home?
1. call your favorite electrician and set up an appointment for this weekend...:love:

There's a brief article in today's (Wednesday 7/10) Star Advertiser Kokua line column that addresses the 24-hour free parking for EVs at the airport. The article confirms what was posted earlier - 1st 24 hours are free, after that you pay. New signs were installed in May.